The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

Thanks Tre.
You then see the format displayed in the EVF and used for the JPGs?
What about the raw files?
K-H, really ... :rolleyes:

You set the 'Image Quality' to f.i. RAW+SF (or any other JPEG compression to your liking) and select for 'Image Size' one of the XPAN formats: L|65:24(8256x3048) or S|65:24(4000x1480). C'est tout ... :lecture:

RAW remains RAW and its size remains unaltered, the JPEG format acts as mask for the image displayed in the EVF or LCD.

k-hawinkler

K-H, really ... :rolleyes:

You set the 'Image Quality' to f.i. RAW+SF (or any other JPEG compression to your liking) and select for 'Image Size' one of the XPAN formats: L|65:24(8256x3048) or S|65:24(4000x1480). C'est tout ... :lecture:

RAW remains RAW and its size remains unaltered, the JPEG format acts as mask for the image displayed in the EVF or LCD.

Really Bart the word XPAN is not in the 50S user manual!
I had never heard it before as I never dealt with Fuji in the film days.
Once I figured out what it referred to, it was clear what Peter had in mind.
So here is my first XPAN adventure, first the OOC JPG and then the RAW file converted to jpg.

GF250

k-hawinkler

Lucky Shot

50S • 250mm • ISO 100 • f/14 • 7s

BTW I noticed
Face Detection and Eye-AF worked as intended! :thumbs:

Last edited:

PeterA

KH - Please accept my apologies by referencing the "XPan crop" - it may have confused you.

Pete

k-hawinkler

KH - Please accept my apologies by referencing the "XPan crop" - it may have confused you.

Pete
Thanks Peter. Nothing to worry about. :)
No doubt, I am picking up more and more FUJIFILM trivia along the way. :LOL:
XPan crop = applying in-camera image format to framing and jpg. :salute:
A fitting and useful short hand! :thumbs:

V

Vivek

Shouldn’t that be TX crop? :)

(X Pan was made by Fuji. Later they sold their own TX1 and TX2, identical in every sense except the logos).

iiiNelson

Shouldn’t that be TX crop? :)

(X Pan was made by Fuji. Later they sold their own TX1 and TX2, identical in every sense except the logos).
Technically. Yes.

I thought the Fuji TX1 and TX2 were only sold in the Japanese markets... Much like some of the Hasselblad H series cameras/lenses were sold in Japan as a Fuji.

In any case the crop crop is labeled as 65:24 in the GFX but it’s labeled as XPan in the X1D.

k-hawinkler

I set the camera up at a distance and angle that I want then pray. I let a couple drops fall into the well to see where they land then using a pencil or similar I focus on that location. The room is darken, the flashes are set, as well as the camera. Manual focus, ISO around 400 (depending on the flash and what I'm doing) however I've gone as high as 1000. The f/stop can range anywhere from f/8 to f/32; depending on the voices in my head. The shutter is bulb and a wired shutter release. The water is dropped from a setup made by Stopshot Studio and controlled by my laptop. The act of capture is 2-handed 1 on the shutter release the other on the water drop button with the shutter released first. The water drop is released passing an infrared device that triggers the flash. One the flash is triggered I release the shutter. All this takes about 1-second however I might daydream and have the shutter open for 2-seconds. The shutter might be open for 1-second however we're looking at speeds of milliseconds.

I'll normally shoot for an hour capturing in excess of 300 files. Now that we have C1 post is so much easier. We'll review the files at 100% for focus then cherry pick the ones we like and want to process deleting the rest. I've begun posting an occasional "reject" on our Instagram/FB accounts. Our rejects that we now have would have made us jump for joy when we first began now we see them and say yeah we've got hundreds of those lets looks for something unusual.

Most people doing this are capturing using a 35mm camera. Not me, I like doing things the hard way. The GFX is perfect for this as is the GF120 and the extension tubes. I've found manual focus to not be a real issue and routinely use the camera set up on a focusing rail; I'll start the focus in camera then fine tune with the rail.

I've written and shared more on our blog if anyone wants to see more. We've also added a new section in our web gallery showing the images.

Thank you for all the positive feedback. I'll share more as time permits.

Don

Many thanks Don for the explanations.
That's quite an impressive and elaborate setup.
The images on your blog are stunning! :thumbs:
I am new to MF and have now to finally use my GF120! :thumbup:
Thanks again.

V

Vivek

Technically, atleast when table top/studio work is concerned, it is all the same.

Why does it get harder with a slightly larger sensor?

Knorp

Really Bart the word XPAN is not in the 50S user manual!
I had never heard it before as I never dealt with Fuji in the film days.
Once I figured out what it referred to, it was clear what Peter had in mind.
I'm sorry, K-H. My bad and indeed there's no reference AFAIK of 'XPAN' in the GFX-50s' owner's manual.
I assumed it was pretty clear what Peter was referring to when he mentioned 'XPAN' along with his panoramic images.
Admittedly though, I (too) had no idea what aspect ratio it had, but I figured it had to be 65:24 ...
So please accept my apologies.

To make up for it: here's a interesting link to an article that might be of interest, although it leads to a well-known camera pusher ... :rolleyes:

How Aspect Ratios Affect the Look of Your Pictures | B&H

PeterA

Interesting link Bart thanks for posting. Aspect ratios and focal length have always been important to me - because for compositional purposes I have a strong preference for either 16:9 OR Xpan crop or Square over 'normal" 3:2/4:3 aspect ratios. Thsi is why more megapixels is important to me -the ability to crop and still maintain IQ integrity.

Pete

Knorp

Interesting link Bart thanks for posting. Aspect ratios and focal length have always been important to me - because for compositional purposes I have a strong preference for either 16:9 OR Xpan crop or Square over 'normal" 3:2/4:3 aspect ratios. Thsi is why more megapixels is important to me -the ability to crop and still maintain IQ integrity.

Pete
Hi Peter,

as I'm not familiar with the XPAN format, I still have to learn how to envision proper framing to get the best out of this format instead of just slicing it out of a RAW file.
Thanks for bringing this interesting format to our attention !

Here are two of my first 'serious' tries, nothing fancy though: SooC JPEG, no PP, only resized.

| gfx 50s | gf 23/4.0 |