The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

PeterA

Bart you are on the right track regarding having a think about aspect ratio /lens choice and composition - speaking for myself, I think there are great advantages in 'seeing' through the viewfinder the actual aspect ratio you are wishing to emply - which as you have already noted above is a different thing to an after the fact crop.

regarding your two shots above:

One of things I noticed when I was shooting a lot of film with XPan - was that a panoramic aspect ratio suits an obvious front on horisontal framing of subject matter - ie wide from left to right.

I think that diagonal lined subject as per your car shots ( who can blame your eye being caught by an AMG and a Masserati) are more difficult to pull off compositionally if you frame them as diaginal lines - an interesting thing in your car shot - is actually thre blurred cyclist entering frame right. The bridge scene again is diagonal biased so the panoramic format again - is being challenged by the dominant diagonal lines of the subject - the bridge.

In both shots - I am asking myself "what isthe subject"? The 'trick' (for me) is to make the subject obvious. The 23MM is 'biased' towards what is very near.

I'll try and dig up some old film shots to illustrate how I go about using the apsect ratio.

here is an urban landscape I 'm happy with on SInar back and Schneider 23mm

and below is a street shot with XPan11 and 45mm

and here is an environmental type portrait

and here is a classic street type 'setup ' shot ....

Last edited:

Knorp

Bart you are on the right track regarding having a think about aspect ratio /lens choice and composition - speaking for myself, I think there are great advantages in 'seeing' through the viewfinder the actual aspect ratio you are wishing to emply - which as you have already noted above is a different thing to an after the fact crop.

regarding your two shots above:

One of things I noticed when I was shooting a lot of film with XPan - was that a panoramic aspect ratio suits an obvious front on horisontal framing of subject matter - ie wide from left to right.

I think that diagonal lined subject as per your car shots ( who can blame your eye being caught by an AMG and a Masserati) are more difficult to pull off compositionally if you frame them as diaginal lines - an interesting thing in your car shot - is actually thre blurred cyclist entering frame right. The bridge scene again is diagonal biased so the panoramic format again - is being challenged by the dominant diagonal lines of the subject - the bridge.

In both shots - I am asking myself "what isthe subject"? The 'trick' (for me) is to make the subject obvious. The 23MM is 'biased' towards what is very near.

I'll try and dig up some old film shots to illustrate how I go about using the apsect ratio.
Hi Peter,

excellent illustrations and thanks for your feedback.
I'll get back to this when I find some time to respond properly.

Brgds.

k-hawinkler

I am using Capture One Pro 11.3 and only get as a CC Profile:

Fujifilm GFX 50S Generic

Where are the lens specific profiles? :facesmack:
I observe a difference between .RAF and .JPG files, as the lens specific profile seems to be applied in-camera to the latter. :banghead:
What do you observe? TIA :grin:

PeterA

IF I look at my metadata Capture One shows which lens I have used in both raw and jpeg versions.

k-hawinkler

IF I look at my metadata Capture One shows which lens I have used in both raw and jpeg versions.
Thanks Peter. Yup, mine too.
What does that have to do with available lens profiles one can apply in C1? :facesmack:

Last edited:

Knorp

I am using Capture One Pro 11.3 and only get as a CC Profile:

Fujifilm GFX 50S Generic

Where are the lens specific profiles? :facesmack:
I observe a difference between .RAF and .JPG files, as the lens specific profile seems to be applied in-camera to the latter. :banghead:
What do you observe? TIA :grin:
I suppose the same, because (C1) camera and lens profiles are only added to the .RAF (RAW) file.
But what exactly is your issue, K-H ?

Screenshot 2018-11-02 at 15.02.12.jpg Screenshot 2018-11-02 at 15.01.31.jpg

Knorp

Thanks Bart. I found it now.
Still have problems matching the distortion in raw with jpg though.
I see, well although those are different worlds, but one should expect the distortion correction more or less in the same order.
Perhaps you can show us an example of the difference you've found ?

k-hawinkler

I see, well although those are different worlds, but one should expect the distortion correction more or less in the same order.
Perhaps you can show us an example of the difference you've found ?
I am assuming lens distortion is computed in the GFX 50S for the GF23 lens and applied to the JPG file. In Capture One Pro one cannot change Distortion % for JPG files.

Here is the JPG image, size scaled by 50%.

Now the corresponding .RAF image with Distortion at 0% again scaled by 50%.

Finally the corresponding .RAF image with Distortion at 100% again scaled by 50%.

If one stacks up the 3 images and flips through them, one can see a compression of the left and right sides of the 0% Distortion .RAF image as compared to the OOC JPG image.

In contrast there is no such left and right side compression between the JPG and 100% Distortion .RAF image. But there seems to be some kind of wobble.