The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

I am assuming lens distortion is computed in the GFX 50S for the GF23 lens and applied to the JPG file. In Capture One Pro one cannot change Distortion % for JPG files.

If one stacks up the 3 images and flips through them, one can see a compression of the left and right sides of the 0% Distortion .RAF image as compared to the OOC JPG image.

In contrast there is no such left and right side compression between the JPG and 100% Distortion .RAF image. But there seems to be some kind of wobble.

Thanks, K-H.
I'd say it's a tough call - just viewing the three images one by one doesn't make it obvious to me ... :eek:
But I too did notice this 'wobble' in my RAF and JPG images.
Except perhaps for architectural work the distortion is not too bad, is it ?

Brgds.

k-hawinkler

Thanks, K-H.
I'd say it's a tough call - just viewing the three images one by one doesn't make it obvious to me ... :eek:
But I too did notice this 'wobble' in my RAF and JPG images.
Except perhaps for architectural work the distortion is not too bad, is it ?

Brgds.

Thanks Bart. Well, I would say that depends on the lens and possibly the architecture.
When I compare .JPG and 0% distortion .RAF files for the GF120 Macro lens I can detect no differences! :thumbs:
Pretty much distortion free IMHO! :thumbup:

However, if I set Distortion to 100% for the .RAF images, significant distortions result! :thumbdown: :banghead:
We better leave that lens alone!!! :LOL:

I have not tested the GF250 yet.
But I would be shocked - did I say shocked - if it showed any significant amount of distortion! :shocked:

iiiNelson

So I’ve been thinking about this and perhaps Phase One hasn’t perfected their lens corrections yet. Maybe the greater focus was on just adding the support. This was true in the early days of Capture One Pro v8 when the Sony lens corrections weren’t all that great but they improved greatly over time. Back then I could easily see differences between the image with the Lightroom profile versus the C1 version which almost looked like the Lightroom version without profile applied. So until it’s improved you might just need to use the distortion tool to taste.

k-hawinkler

So I’ve been thinking about this and perhaps Phase One hasn’t perfected their lens corrections yet. Maybe the greater focus was on just adding the support. This was true in the early days of Capture One Pro v8 when the Sony lens corrections weren’t all that great but they improved greatly over time. Back then I could easily see differences between the image with the Lightroom profile versus the C1 version which almost looked like the Lightroom version without profile applied. So until it’s improved you might just need to use the distortion tool to taste.
Thanks Tre. I don't think it's a big issue for me.
Of my 3 lenses only the GF23 seems to be affected by it.
I only noticed it because I am shooting Superfine and RAW and compared the images in detail.
Thanks again.

PeterA

Some links you may find of interest:

The World of GFX: https://fujifilmxgfx.com/gfx-home/ (news, interviews, technique, showcase, gear)
The Fujifilm Blog: https://fujifilm-blog.com/x-magazine/ (free magazines)
Thanks Bart !:thumbs:

After a quick look at this very intereting site(s) I found this link on the GFX site which might be useful based on our discussions re aspect ratio for anyone interested

https://fujifilmxgfx.com/gfx-techniques/aspect-ratio-photography/

atb
Pete

k-hawinkler

After a quick look at this very intereting site(s) I found this link on the GFX site which might be useful based on our discussions re aspect ratio for anyone interested

atb
Pete

Thanks. Sorting by aspect ratio we have: :grin:

65:24 = 2.71 losing pixels of short side of sensor, down to 49%
2.39:1 = 2.39 anamorphic wide-screen format used in cinema
. 16.9 = 1.78 losing pixels of short side of sensor, down to 75%
.. 3:2 = 1.50 losing pixels of short side of sensor, down to 89%
.. 4:3 = 1.33 .................................................................... 100%
.. 5:4 = 1.25 losing pixels of long side of sensor down to 94%
.. 7:6 = 1.17 losing pixels of long side of sensor, down to 88%
.. 1:1 = 1.00 losing pixels of long side of sensor, down to 75%
.. 6:7 = 0.86 losing pixels of long side of sensor, down to 88%
.. 4:5 = 0.80 losing pixels of long side of sensor, down to 94%
.. 3:4 = 0.75 .................................................................... 100%
.. 2:3 = 0.67 losing pixels of short side of sensor, down to 89%
. 9:16 = 0.56 losing pixels of short side of sensor, down to 75%
24:65 = 0.37 losing pixels of short side of sensor, down to 49%

......................................................... Ratio
... 4x3 8,256 * 6,192 = 51,121,152 1.00
... 5x4 7,744 * 6,192 = 47,950,848 0.94
... 3x2 8,256 * 5,504 = 45,441,024 0.89
... 7x6 7,232 * 6,192 = 44,780,544 0.88
... 1x1 6,192 * 6,192 = 38,340,864 0.75
. 16x9 8,256 * 4,640 = 38,307,840 0.75
65x24 8,256 * 3,048 = 25,164,288 0.49

Well, I hate wasting pixels. :banghead:
So, 4x3 no waste, 5x4 6% waste, etc. :LOL:

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Bart you are on the right track regarding having a think about aspect ratio /lens choice and composition - speaking for myself, I think there are great advantages in 'seeing' through the viewfinder the actual aspect ratio you are wishing to emply - which as you have already noted above is a different thing to an after the fact crop.

regarding your two shots above:

One of things I noticed when I was shooting a lot of film with XPan - was that a panoramic aspect ratio suits an obvious front on horisontal framing of subject matter - ie wide from left to right.

I think that diagonal lined subject as per your car shots ( who can blame your eye being caught by an AMG and a Masserati) are more difficult to pull off compositionally if you frame them as diaginal lines - an interesting thing in your car shot - is actually thre blurred cyclist entering frame right. The bridge scene again is diagonal biased so the panoramic format again - is being challenged by the dominant diagonal lines of the subject - the bridge.

In both shots - I am asking myself "what isthe subject"? The 'trick' (for me) is to make the subject obvious. The 23MM is 'biased' towards what is very near.

I'll try and dig up some old film shots to illustrate how I go about using the apsect ratio.

here is an urban landscape I 'm happy with on SInar back and Schneider 23mm

and below is a street shot with XPan11 and 45mm

and here is an environmental type portrait

and here is a classic street type 'setup ' shot ....

First all four of these photographs are excellent !

However I don t see the benefit of the wider crop ? Using just the dog photo as an example ..it appears to have more than enough room on the right but is cropped very tight on the top and bottom . in this case it appears that framing context has been discarded in a effort to appear wider . Using 2x3 you could open up some breathing room top and bottom while taking up the excess on the right side .

It doesn t make sense to me to use a wide composition and then clip the edges close ...would seem same rules for good composition apply regardless of the crop dimensions .

Of course they are your photographs and they are good as shown ....but I believe they could be better .

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

However I don t see the benefit of the wider crop ? Using just the dog photo as an example ..it appears to have more than enough room on the right but is cropped very tight on the top and bottom . in this case it appears that framing context has been discarded in a effort to appear wider . Using 2x3 you could open up some breathing room top and bottom while taking up the excess on the right side .

It doesn t make sense to me to use a wide composition and then clip the edges close ...would seem same rules for good composition apply regardless of the crop dimensions .

Of course they are your photographs and they are good as shown ....but I believe they could be better .
If you have a full file ...try a composition using the diagonals .....lower left to up right then a 90 degree line from upper left to the diagonal ...put the intersection on the dogs left eye use a 2x3 crop . Follow same logic on other side and I think the walkers will hit the other composition intersection . This image has strong potential .

Knorp

atb
Pete
Hi Pete,

yep, I've seen that 'technique' item, pretty neat and although it provides some helpful insights it doesn't give you any specific directions how to use and to compose for the various aspect ratios.
However, the super-wide examples are precisely what I had/have in mind and seem to reflect perfectly to your images.

Brgds.

PeterA

Hi Roger thanks for your feedback

Top Image is a simple two shot stitch ten years old when I was shooting with an Artec and doing a bit of Architectural work for some mags down here. I'm 'over' the tech cam hassle these days if a shot actuallly needs tilt and swivel someone else can do it -:)

[/url]

the bottom 3 images are actual XPAN film shots top image no crop next 2 were slightly cropped from sides into anamorphic...when I was shooting film - 20yrs ago - the dog shot has paid for a few cameras over the year -:)

If you read my post to Bart- it explains their illustrative purposes in the context of the discussion.

I agree with you all shots can be better - street with film with an xpan presented its challenges at times - but what fun -:)

KH agree loss of megapixels is bad (which is why I laugh at puny 35mm so called FF cameras) - previous posts have gone though loss of MP in different crops - which is why I am so looking forward to the 100MPGFX = 50 megapixels in XPAn crop mode -:)

atb
Pete

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Walk Around Los Alamos with the Fuji GFX 50S + Battery Grip + Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro Lens + Peak Design Clutch

I have decided to treat my Fujifilm GFX 50S system similarly to my currently 2 other favorite cameras, namely the Sony A9 and the Olympus E-M1.2, the latter hopefully joined next year by the E-M1X. It will be also interesting to find out how my Sony A7r.2 holds up against the Fuji 50S.

The Fuji GFX 50S + Battery Grip + Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro lens + Peak Design Clutch pose no problem for me at all weight-wise and the Clutch assures that I don't drop the system accidentally. Knock on wood! :grin:

After voting I drove to Los Alamos' Central Business Area and shot the following shots from within about 50 yards of each other.

Municipal Building at the intersection of Knecht St. / Central Ave., looking closely one can detect the Vote Here Today poster.

TRIBE Yoga & Wellness

Forgotten Yucca Plants

Reflections

Reflections above and off Entrance

Exit Only

Looking East

Looking West

For sure a FUN camera to enjoy!
Amazing Detail and Sharpness!

Knorp

Walk Around Los Alamos with the Fuji GFX 50S + Battery Grip + Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro Lens + Peak Design Clutch

I have decided to treat my Fujifilm GFX 50S system similarly to my currently 2 other favorite cameras, namely the Sony A9 and the Olympus E-M1.2, the latter hopefully joined next year by the E-M1X. It will be also interesting to find out how my Sony A7r.2 holds up against the Fuji 50S.

The Fuji GFX 50S + Battery Grip + Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro lens + Peak Design Clutch pose no problem for me at all weight-wise and the Clutch assures that I don't drop the system accidentally. Knock on wood! :grin:

For sure a FUN camera to enjoy!
Amazing Detail and Sharpness!
+1 Can't agree more ... :thumbs:
But being an 'office dude' the weight does affect me, in particular my back, when walking around for some hours.