The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

Bart, true one can always read the top LCD display.
However, a little button to the left lets you switch ON or OFF LCD illumination. :salute:
With the camera switched off the top LCD displays the active card slot (in my case 1) and according to the image settings and card size the amount of recordable images and finally the battery status.

k-hawinkler

Just kidding here, but it would be an interesting experiment if you could try it.
It happened four times to me over a period of roughly 2 weeks.
The first two times, although I had to take out the battery, I regarded as an incident, but after the third time I started worrying.
The fourth time was really dramatic as whatever I tried nothing could turn the camera back on.
Like you I normally turn off the camera right after I've finished shooting.

Brgds.

Thanks Bart.
We'll see what happens - my Battery Grip is always attached! :thumbs:

The manual points out, one can keep shooting while replacing one battery, if the other still has some juice left! :LOL: :ROTFL: :LOL:

k-hawinkler

The Library Cave

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF23mm F4 R LM WR @ ISO 1600, FOCAL LENGTH 23.0 mm (18.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.03704s (1/27).

Knorp

:grin: ... no sharks today ?

Love (and envy) that frame (Joe's script) and I noticed you're playing a bit with fonts.
I think the font used here looks very nice or at least it's prettier than the one you used earlier.
Also using grey instead of black makes the annotation less distracting: excellent :thumbup:
As we say here: "goed bezig, Piet !"

Brgds.

PeterA

:grin: ... no sharks today ?

Love (and envy) that frame (Joe's script) and I noticed you're playing a bit with fonts.
I think the font used here looks very nice or at least it's prettier than the one you used earlier.
Also using grey instead of black makes the annotation less distracting: excellent :thumbup:
As we say here: "goed bezig, Piet !"

Brgds.
Bart I'm sure you know that Joe has made the script available as a free downlaod from his site.

yes the grey font is much nicer - stil getting used to using Joe's script and dealing with what appears to be a minor bug in PS 2019 - helps me visualise what somethign would look like framed.

Knorp

The Library Cave

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF23mm F4 R LM WR @ ISO 1600, FOCAL LENGTH 23.0 mm (18.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.03704s (1/27).
Very nice interior shot, K-H.
Even at f/4 there's ample DoF: it's impressive.
Makes you wonder what would be the sensible aperture range for the GF23 ?

Knorp

We went to Kansas to shoot sunflowers earlier this year and I decided to take the GF250 with the 45 WR extender to play with.250 with 1.4 extender and 45 WR attached, shot handheld - f/5.6, 1/200 ISO 250 opened and processed in C1 then over to PS where I cheated and used the shake reduction filter on the crop.
Hi Don,

as I'm rather torn between the 18G and 45G extenders, I'm wondering for the 45G and GF250 what the longest shooting distance or longest working distance is for which you can still attain proper focus.
Fuji's reference table only refers to the shortest distances.

Do you have an idea and/or a rough estimate ?

TIA

Screenshot 2018-11-17 at 11.43.57.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Don,

as I'm rather torn between the 18G and 45G extenders, I'm wondering for the 45G and GF250 what the longest shooting distance or longest working distance is for which you can still attain proper focus.
Fuji's reference table only refers to the shortest distances.

Do you have an idea and/or a rough estimate ?

TIA

View attachment 137379
The thin lens equation gives an estimate 1/d + 1/x = 1/f, where d is the distance from the lens to the sensor, f is the focal length of the lens, and then x is the distance from the lens to the object in focus. At infinity focus, d = f. Now you're adding an extender, so d = f+(extender length), and so we get "infinity" focus distances of 3.72/3.99 meters for the 18G and 1.64/1.93 meters for the 45G. The two numbers are distance from lens and distance from sensor, respectively.

Of course, the 250 is NOT a thin lens, so these are all approximate. All the supplied data suggests that closest focus corresponds to a lens extension of ~50mm, so that's some comfort.

--Matt

k-hawinkler

Very nice interior shot, K-H.
Even at f/4 there's ample DoF: it's impressive.
Makes you wonder what would be the sensible aperture range for the GF23 ?
Many thanks Bart. The GF23 I find to be a superb performer. It was dark outside, dimly lit inside, of course no IS, and I wouldn’t think of/dare taking a tripod into the public County Library. In the image one can clearly see through the window cars parked outside and street lights on. Also ISO 1600 seems to work fairly well. Maybe I should go back during daylight and use a smaller aperture.

It’s such a beautiful building with a pretty large conference room (while I was taking pictures there were 30+ folks listening to a presentation. I could see them through a window, but not hear them) and several smaller rooms anybody can use for a discussion without disturbing the large Library room proper. This relatively small building is in White Rock, Los Alamos County. The main Library building in Los Alamos is impressive and fairly large. Each year they also use that facility for displaying framed images of the local photography competition. You simply show up at the scheduled time and pin your picture to the wall.

Knorp

The thin lens equation gives an estimate 1/d + 1/x = 1/f, where d is the distance from the lens to the sensor, f is the focal length of the lens, and then x is the distance from the lens to the object in focus. At infinity focus, d = f. Now you're adding an extender, so d = f+(extender length), and so we get "infinity" focus distances of 3.72/3.99 meters for the 18G and 1.64/1.93 meters for the 45G. The two numbers are distance from lens and distance from sensor, respectively.

Of course, the 250 is NOT a thin lens, so these are all approximate. All the supplied data suggests that closest focus corresponds to a lens extension of ~50mm, so that's some comfort.

--Matt
Thanks, Matt !
For a rule of thumb this thin lens equation seems good enough to me :thumbup:

Brgds.

Knorp

Many thanks Bart. The GF23 I find to be a superb performer. It was dark outside, dimly lit inside, of course no IS, and I wouldn’t think of/dare taking a tripod into the public County Library. In the image one can clearly see through the window cars parked outside and street lights on. Also ISO 1600 seems to work fairly well. Maybe I should go back during daylight and use a smaller aperture.

It’s such a beautiful building with a pretty large conference room (while I was taking pictures there were 30+ folks listening to a presentation. I could see them through a window, but not hear them) and several smaller rooms anybody can use for a discussion without disturbing the large Library room proper. This relatively small building is in White Rock, Los Alamos County. The main Library building in Los Alamos is impressive and fairly large. Each year they also use that facility for displaying framed images of the local photography competition. You simply show up at the scheduled time and pin your picture to the wall.
Well K-H, I can sense a great opportunity coming up for you ... :)

Don Libby

Hi Don,as I'm rather torn between the 18G and 45G extenders, I'm wondering for the 45G and GF250 what the longest shooting distance or longest working distance is for which you can still attain proper focus.Fuji's reference table only refers to the shortest distances.Do you have an idea and/or a rough estimate ?TIA
I had great expectations on answering this this morning in great detail however life took an ugly turn and we had to go out and find a replacement refrigerator. I remember shooting the 250 with the 1.4 and 45WR shortly after I got it in my backyard and did a very ruff measurement of 6' to subject. I also remember using this same combination in Kansas in a sunflower field and feel it was within 6' there. I've shot this combination handheld with little problems and in comparison to trying to shoot my XF, 240 and extender found it a hell of a lot easier. I found the AF on the 250, 1.4, 45WR to be fast enough that I had no issues but then again I also had the camera set to continuous mode and took several frames. I'll try and set up an actual test soon to measure the focal distance of the 250, 1.4 and 45WR as well as the 18WR. Lets see what else can break in the kitchen before I can to the test....

k-hawinkler

How weird as others (afaik) seem not to experience such network issues.
Even your quote shows my image ...:confused:
Perhaps it’s a temporary DNS or Hosting server problem ?

Thanks Bart. Weird. I have no problem seeing the beach image by PeterA.