The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just installed C1Pro12 and voila - whenever I open my old Fuji files (X-T2) it supports Fuji film simulations.

This might mark a significant change in time for me - and in the choice of my equipment. I always liked LR with the built in Fuji film simulations but then this did not work in C1Pro - but now it does! And I always actually preferred C1Pro over LR. Now that works and with all the advantages (for me) of C1Pro.

I am really considering to make a switch now - back from m43 (Olympus) to Fuji - maybe X-T3 with my trusted 100-400 and the standard kit zoom and the one or other X-lenses. I would be back in heaven and once the X-H2 comes that would be actually all I need and want for my action, wildlife and sports photography as well as a lot of different genres.

And who knows - maybe add the one or other MFD body and lens for when I really want/need top IQ etc. With the advantage of being in my dream scotland of colour, operation, lens choices etc.

No longer waiting for whatever m43 camera from Olympus (or Panasonic) that will always be behind IQ and AF from the latest Fuji implementations. No need to buy an EM1X that I really don't want and need. Just Fuji - sound almost too nice :toocool:

Need to sleep about this but I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

iiiNelson

Just installed C1Pro12 and voila - whenever I open my old Fuji files (X-T2) it supports Fuji film simulations.

This might mark a significant change in time for me - and in the choice of my equipment. I always liked LR with the built in Fuji film simulations but then this did not work in C1Pro - but now it does! And I always actually preferred C1Pro over LR. Now that works and with all the advantages (for me) of C1Pro.

I am really considering to make a switch now - back from m43 (Olympus) to Fuji - maybe X-T3 with my trusted 100-400 and the standard kit zoom and the one or other X-lenses. I would be back in heaven and once the X-H2 comes that would be actually all I need and want for my action, wildlife and sports photography as well as a lot of different genres.

And who knows - maybe add the one or other MFD body and lens for when I really want/need top IQ etc. With the advantage of being in my dream scotland of colour, operation, lens choices etc.

No longer waiting for whatever m43 camera from Olympus (or Panasonic) that will always be behind IQ and AF from the latest Fuji implementations. No need to buy an EM1X that I really don't want and need. Just Fuji - sound almost too nice :toocool:

Need to sleep about this but I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.
Not to throw a wrench in your ideas but what exactly is it that you're missing or after with your replacement system? Seems like you have a great thing with your Olympus kit (but there's a valid argument about their long-term viability/plans) is the IQ to your expectation? There isn't a lot of difference between 20 and 26 megapixels...

The Fuji lenses are good but so are the Olympus ones so I'd say that was a push realistically between the two systems. Autofocus remains to be seen between the latest Fuji and the rumored Olympus... MAYBE its a draw but MAYBE Olympus is better... That's an answer that requires patience... and your battery gripe still isn't "solved" though it's improved with the XT3 due to power efficiency.

iiiNelson

Hi Tre, I found this on Fujirumors (ETERNA Profile for CaptureOne ).
Although homebrewed it may be good enough.
I don't currently shoot Fuji and the only Medium Format camera I own is a Mamiya C330 Pro S... I just assumed they did a firmware update for the GFX cameras when the XH1 was released. It seems like Fuji will add every feature possible that's not a film simulations in their firmware updates. I scratch my head at that but maybe that's what gets people to buy the newest models.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Not to throw a wrench in your ideas but what exactly is it that you're missing or after with your replacement system? Seems like you have a great thing with your Olympus kit (but there's a valid argument about their long-term viability/plans) is the IQ to your expectation? There isn't a lot of difference between 20 and 26 megapixels...

The Fuji lenses are good but so are the Olympus ones so I'd say that was a push realistically between the two systems. Autofocus remains to be seen between the latest Fuji and the rumored Olympus... MAYBE its a draw but MAYBE Olympus is better... That's an answer that requires patience... and your battery gripe still isn't "solved" though it's improved with the XT3 due to power efficiency.
You are right with many points ...

1) Olympus lenses are stellar (but so are Fuji lenses)

2) While resolution is not why I would switch, IQ definitely is - it is superior in my eyes in many cases and especially the support of Fuji film simulations in C1Pro12 is really a treat. Nothing from Olympus can compare, although this may be a bit subjective. But when I look in C1Pro at pictures from the X-T2 they in most cases look better for me than what I get from the EM1.2. Since the EM1X sensor will be very similar to the EM1.2 sensor and I assume also image processing I have my doubt that Olympus will ever come close to Fuji at least for my taste.

3) The one lens I was really in love with is the Fuji 100-400 - just much more practical for me than the PRO 2.8/40-150 and the 4/300 - also with TC1.4
4) Have not tried AF of the X-T3, but I imagine it is better than the AF of the EM1.2 - could easily be that the EM1X tops it, but I am already pretty happy with what I get from the EM1.2, so I actually don't need that

5) the EVF of the X-T3 is significantly better than the EVF of the EM1.2 - maybe the EM1X will be the same or better than the X-T3?

In the end it comes down to that one lens and IQ and the look you can get with just applying a film simulation - both in LR and C1Pro now - and all the rest I actually don't care too much.

Launch of the EM1X will be in January (early next year), so I definitely will wait to see what this camera brings to the table for me, as well what lenses Olympus finally will offer that could top the Fuji 100-400 and then I will make a final decision. Will not be easy anyway :toocool:

k-hawinkler

Ashley Pond

Fuji GFX 50S + GF45mmF2.8 R WR @ ISO 100, FOCAL LENGTH 45.0 mm (36.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/8, EXPOSURE TIME 0.008s (1/125).

PeterA

Ashley Pond

Fuji GFX 50S + GF45mmF2.8 R WR @ ISO 100, FOCAL LENGTH 45.0 mm (36.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/8, EXPOSURE TIME 0.008s (1/125).
No one could complain about the sharpness of the 45mm could they KH?

Mummy I want one - now! :grin:

k-hawinkler

No one could complain about the sharpness of the 45mm could they KH?

Mummy I want one - now! :grin:

Thanks Peter. I agree.
That lens GF45 f/2.8 can deliver pretty crisp images, similar to the GF23.
Certainly no complains from me.

My 5 GF lenses are keepers, namely Gf23, 45, 120, 250, and 32-64.
I think the stellar GF110 f/2 should go nicely with the GFX 100. :grin:

PeterA

Thanks Peter. I agree.
That lens GF45 f/2.8 can deliver pretty crisp images, similar to the GF23.
Certainly no complains from me.

My 5 GF lenses are keepers, namely Gf23, 45, 120, 250, and 32-64.
I think the stellar GF110 f/2 should go nicely with the GFX 100. :grin:
personbally i think I'll get more use out of wides on 100MP than my 100/2 - the 120 might be better because of OIS _ IBIS - the 250+TC will be spectacular.

k-hawinkler

personbally i think I'll get more use out of wides on 100MP than my 100/2 - the 120 might be better because of OIS _ IBIS - the 250+TC will be spectacular.
Thanks Peter.
My thinking is the GF120 and 250 already are stabilized via OIS.
Sure they will benefit from IBIS as well.

Naively I would expect the non-OIS lenses ought to benefit even more.

Provided a 2 camera setup, namely GFX 50S and 100S, I would put the WA lenses preferentially on the 100S and the teles on the 50S. But of course I would like to see all the lenses on the 100S as well. :thumbs:

PeterA

Thanks Peter.
My thinking is the GF120 and 250 already are stabilized via OIS.
Sure they will benefit from IBIS as well.

Naively I would expect the non-OIS lenses ought to benefit even more.

Provided a 2 camera setup, namely GFX 50S and 100S, I would put the WA lenses preferentially on the 100S and the teles on the 50S. But of course I would like to see all the lenses on the 100S as well. :thumbs:
I wonder whether the Fuji implementation of IBIS plus OIS enabled stabilisation will deliver better than just IBIS or OIS on their own.

k-hawinkler

I wonder whether the Fuji implementation of IBIS plus OIS enabled stabilisation will deliver better than just IBIS or OIS on their own.
Thanks Peter. I am sure that’s the idea.
As on other systems, one will be able to switch off stabilization or switch on the combined stabilization, but not select OIS or IBIS separately, my guess.