The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

For my Sigma Art 20/1.4 and 135/1.8 EF-lenses I have a Kipon adapter (EF-GFX AF).
That KIPON adapter gave me a little headache at first.
Although the lenses were recognised by the camera body (EXIF data) and the AF motor was engaged, the lenses wouldn't focus properly.
It turned out my adapter was still on firmware version 1.09 while the current version is 1.15
So with the firmware sorted focusing is now very accurate albeit a little slow.
The lenses show a considerable amount of vignetting when used in the GFX's native 4:3 mode: the 20/1.4 more than the 135/1.8
I think the little vignetting of the 135/1.8 is pretty good correctable, but not so the 20/1.4 (I'll show a sample soon).
As the lenses are basically designed for a 3:2 sensor, I'd say that some vignetting is to be expected (and accepted).
Anyway, while the 135/1.8 can be used 'safely' in 4:3 mode, the 20/1.8 should remain in 3:2 mode and still requires a correction of approximately +1.5 (C1).

Here is a sample of the 135/1.8 in 4:3 mode and you'll notice some vignetting in all four corners.

| gfx-50s | kipon ef-gfx af | sigma art 135/1.8 |

iiiNelson

For my Sigma Art 20/1.4 and 135/1.8 EF-lenses I have a Kipon adapter (EF-GFX AF).
Although the lenses were recognised by the camera body (EXIF data) and the AF motor was engaged, the lenses wouldn't focus properly.
It turned out my adapter was still on firmware version 1.09 while the current version is 1.15
The lenses show a considerable amount of vignetting when used in the GFX's native 4:3 mode: the 20/1.4 more than the 135/1.8
I think the little vignetting of the 135/1.8 is pretty good correctable, but not so the 20/1.4 (I'll show a sample soon).
As the lenses are basically designed for a 3:2 sensor, I'd say that some vignetting is to be expected (and accepted).
Anyway, while the 135/1.8 can be used 'safely' in 4:3 mode, the 20/1.8 should remain in 3:2 mode and still requires a correction of approximately +1.5 (C1).

Here is a sample of the 135/1.8 in 4:3 mode and you'll notice some vignetting in all four corners.

Vignette or not... rendering looks great and “3D like.”

Knorp

Amazing detail for a handheld shot even after some serious cropping ...

V

Vivek

These are looking great, Bart!

Any chance we will see the Sigma ART 105/1.4 on the GFX50S? :)

Knorp

These are looking great, Bart!

Any chance we will see the Sigma ART 105/1.4 on the GFX50S? :)
Thanks and ... nope: the 135/1.8 has a smaller DoF than the 105/1.4
I can’t/won’t argue about the OoF quality, but I think the 135/1.8 is doing fine too.

Brgds.

Knorp

not sure what happened here ...

Knorp

Here is the promised sample of the 20/1.4 'vignetting'. Basically the projected image circle is too small to cover the sensor properly.
It turned out that even at 3:2 format the JPG is affected beyond PP repair other then cropping.
Next run will be in '35mm format mode', but then the JPG output is fixed to L(3:2) 8256x5504 format.

3:2 JPG (OoC)
GFX_DSF6902_3x2-JPG.jpg
| gfx-50s | kipon ef-gfx af | sigma art 20/1.4 |

4:3 RAW (C1 processed)
GFX_DSF6902_4x3-RAW.jpg

algrove

Bart

Did you get the 63 also or figured the 43-64 zoom could cover that FL? Just wonder if the non-LM on the 63 has street use limitations?

Knorp

Bart

Did you get the 63 also or figured the 43-64 zoom could cover that FL? Just wonder if the non-LM on the 63 has street use limitations?
As I only have the zoom I can't comment on the non-LM primes having limited street credit for being more 'noisy'.
I guess the sound of the AF motor is only noticeable to the operator and I deem it very unlikely it will be the main reason for distracted passersby if that's your concern.
To play it safe go manual or wait for the 50mm F3.5 R LM WR.
And yes, I figured the zoom, although substantially larger, would cover both 45 and 63.

Screenshot 2018-10-08 at 23.30.53.jpg

Knorp

The Grote Kerk or St Nicholas church of Monnickendam ...

iiiNelson

As I only have the zoom I can't comment on the non-LM primes having limited street credit for being more 'noisy'.
I guess the sound of the AF motor is only noticeable to the operator and I deem it very unlikely it will be the main reason for distracted passersby if that's your concern.
To play it safe go manual or wait for the 50mm F3.5 R LM WR.
And yes, I figured the zoom, although substantially larger, would cover both 45 and 63.

View attachment 136621
The last time I tried out a GFX it had the 63 mounted on it. I don’t recall the motor being as noisy as an old style screw drive lens but you could hear it. I don’t think it would be distracting in normal usage to anyone but the user personally. I do find that the 32-64 is probably a great all around “starter” lens if you don’t mind the size though... in fact I think I could get by with the 23, 32-64, and 110 for most things personally. I read the 250 is great as well but I haven’t tried one for myself yet.

Knorp

Too more of the Grote Kerk or St Nicholas church of Monnickendam ...