The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Thorkil

Hey Thorkil,

I don't know what's wrong if spelled with an "u", but this Tromp was well-known to the Danish as well.

From Wikipedia (Google translation ... :rolleyes:)

All the best.
Hi Bart,
Even though I then ought to sort of be in solidarity with Tromp, because of defeating the Swedish fleet in a battle south of Öland in 1676 (and sea-wise, while an old old silly man has claimed I'm descended from an Jakob Bagge who was Swedish admiral and won a battle against the Danes at the see by Bornholm in 1563 but after a battle with the Danes around the same Öland he was captured and held as prisoner in Copenhagen under rather large freedom - perhaps the freedom was as large as its why I'm sitting here, who knows, but at that time I unfortunately lost interest listening to the old man, and now I guess he might be dead), but the danish Wikipedia mention that Tromp seemed to be rather brutal, and unpopular in his homeland. He terrorized the French coastline before getting hired by the Danes, and while he tried to get dutch help to the Danes in the war affairs with Sweden, he came too late back to Copenhagen, and by that time the danish admiral Niels Juul had already at 1. July 1677 won against a superior Swedish fleet in Köge Bugt south of Copenhagen. And because of his rude and insisting behavior against his superiors admirals and the captains, the king Christian V seems to lost patience and dismissed Tromp in 1678.
:rolleyes: (I guess the same story will differ from country to country:eek:)
best thorkil

Knorp

Hi Bart,
Even though I then ought to sort of be in solidarity with Tromp, because of defeating the Swedish fleet in a battle south of Öland in 1676 (and sea-wise, while an old old silly man has claimed I'm descended from an Jakob Bagge who was Swedish admiral and won a battle against the Danes at the see by Bornholm in 1563 but after a battle with the Danes around the same Öland he was captured and held as prisoner in Copenhagen under rather large freedom - perhaps the freedom was as large as its why I'm sitting here, who knows, but at that time I unfortunately lost interest listening to the old man, and now I guess he might be dead), but the danish Wikipedia mention that Tromp seemed to be rather brutal, and unpopular in his homeland. He terrorized the French coastline before getting hired by the Danes, and while he tried to get dutch help to the Danes in the war affairs with Sweden, he came too late back to Copenhagen, and by that time the danish admiral Niels Juul had already at 1. July 1677 won against a superior Swedish fleet in Köge Bugt south of Copenhagen. And because of his rude and insisting behavior against his superiors admirals and the captains, the king Christian V seems to lost patience and dismissed Tromp in 1678.
:rolleyes: (I guess the same story will differ from country to country:eek:)
best thorkil
I guess war is not for "sissies".
There goes a story or two here about Viking visitors ... :facesmack:

Thorkil

I guess war is not for "sissies".
There goes a story or two here about Viking visitors ... :facesmack:
:eek: No, I guess not, the Viking were neither Munks nor Nuns.
And even the nice Danes had slaves in a total of 300 years (and we were not nice and friendly towards them either), but our Prime Minister found no reason for apologize (or perhaps a free education program as modest pay back) when he recently visited the West Indian Islands, even though our King (the State at that time) had part in it too. So saints we ain't... :shocked:
:angel::angel:

Last edited:

biglouis

I don't know if many people in this forum know of the area and history of Kings Cross in London. It was at one time not just a commuter hub but also a major freight hub. The area behind the station was dominated by an estate of mean but much loved tenement buildings and also big Victorian coal gas holders, train repair sheds, coal drops (for the trains and gas) and sidings amongst other things for potato and vegetable delivery to the metropolis. Some fantastic photography exists from the industrial era, especially by John Gay. You often see smokey, sooty, dark photographs infused with steam and smutty air from all the trains. I've tried to recreate some of the lost atmosphere in this photo - caused by the low winter sun streaming into the new Pancras Square which is built on top of all the demolished industrial architecture - once associated with names like Great Northern Railways, and enshrined in the wonderfully dark Ealing Comedy 'The Ladykillers' - and now home to Google and YouTube. Funny old world, isn't it?
(GFX50S+23mm/f4)

Last edited:

biglouis

The Fujinon GF 100-200/5.6 : excellent in every single way (images & videos).
I was thinking of selling my GF 120mm and putting the cash towards then 100-200 but... nah... not doing that anytime soon (I'll just have to wait until I get a bit wealthier).

GFX50S+120mm iso1000 f16 1/500, full frame, Velvia preset

GFX50S+120mm iso640 f16 1/500, crop 1:2, 60% of frame, Kodachrome 25 preset

GFX50S+120mm iso200 f16 1/80, full frame, Velvia preset (OIS is helping out here)

Knorp

northern light (noorderlicht) ...

| gfx 50s | gf 32-64 |

ABOUT NOORDERLICHT

Close to the heart of Amsterdam, Noorderlicht stands in a place that defies expectations. Though only 15 minutes away from Central Station, the NDSM-wharf is an open space for serenity, creativitiy and festivities all throughout the year.

With a magnificent backdrop of the south IJ-riverbank, Noorderlicht is a great place to hang out, have a drink, have lunch or dinner, listen to live music and go to a party or festival.

Knorp

that amazing GF250 and 1.4x TC ...

| gfx 50s | gf 250 | 1.4 tc | full |

| gfx 50s | gf 250 | 1.4 tc | crop 100% |

Last edited:

Knorp

that amazing GF250 and 1.4x TC ...

| gfx 50s | gf 250 | 1.4 tc | full |

| gfx 50s | gf 250 | 1.4 tc | crop 100% |

Last edited: