The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

pegelli

Have they exceeded the medium format crop sensor sweet spot of 50 MP? Is the 100+ MP crop sensor the equivalent of the pixel jammed APS-C 35 format? This is the come back they are facing in recent full size medium format Phase ads.
APS-24 MP and FF 42 MP is 80 resp 70 MP equivalent at 44 x 33 mm, so with 100 MP they are denser than both of those.

Btw, the same is true for the IQ4-150, which is denser than both as well. The IQ3-100 MP sensor is about equivalent to these .

However the lenses of these two MF systems are stellar as well, so taking good advantage of that additional resolution seems certainly possible.

iiiNelson

Have they exceeded the medium format crop sensor sweet spot of 50 MP? Is the 100+ MP crop sensor the equivalent of the pixel jammed APS-C 35 format? This is the come back they are facing in recent full size medium format Phase ads.
I’m not sure. I’d guess as technology improves perhaps we should throw out the idea of pixel density maximum from a pure standpoint. There was a time when everyone thought 12 megapixels were all that was needed and 24 megapixels qualified as the high megapixel option. 24 megapixels is the “new” 10-16 megapixel camera now and 30-50 megapixel cameras are becoming the baseline norms. The S1 probably has comparable high ISO performance to the A7SII with twice the resolution. My A7RII has better high ISO performance than the 5D cameras from any generation. My guess is that sensors will continue to be better and people are becoming more accepting of grain if it’s pleasing to the eye... if it’s present at all.