The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

Uitwateringssluizen / Sluice gates, IJmuiden ...

| gfx-50s | gf32-64 |

Last edited:

Knorp

SHIP - exhibition and restaurant, IJmuiden ...

S.H.I.P. = Sluis Haven Informatie Punt / Sluice Harbor Information Point

| gfx-50s | gf32-64 |

PeterA

Still coming to grips with the 100MP and how the different focal lengths 'work' - waiting for my 250 + TC to arrive in Oz sometime next month...this image is a crop less than 25% of original size still a decent 20+ megapixels ...I'm pretty freaked out about how well the IBIS works - I will definitely take this camera street shooting - no problem.

Knorp

Hey Bart- what adapted lenses are you using/have tried and are happy with?

Pete
I've tried quite a few, but found only two covering the sensor:
- Sigma Art 135mm F1.8 (Kipon AF EF-GFX)
- Leica Summilux-R 80mm F1.4

Brgds.

Thorkil

Louis, you had a GFX-S as far as I remember, but gave it up because of size and weight, right?, but you couldn't resist for at MF-return, but with the "tiny" R...
For me, when I close my eyes in the evening, its just a R + a 23mm (no more) just as a SWC replacement (while a X1D II is too far away)...dreams at its best..

biglouis

Louis, you had a GFX-S as far as I remember, but gave it up because of size and weight, right?, but you couldn't resist for at MF-return, but with the "tiny" R...
For me, when I close my eyes in the evening, its just a R + a 23mm (no more) just as a SWC replacement (while a X1D II is too far away)...dreams at its best..
I agree. I now have to wait until my wallet recovers before tracking down a well priced 23/4.

Welcome back, Louis ! And yes did I (we) miss you here !
But I'd like to hear the story behind your unexpected revival for the GFX ecosystem.

Brgds.
I know. I embarrass myself. Despite investing in some nice XF glass I just missed the impressive detail, rendering and dynamic range of the GFX. I came back from a recent trip to the Yorkshire Moors feeling as though I had fantastic landscape opportunities but not the camera to match them. I would say to anyone who is considering the GFX, be very careful. Once you go MF digital it will ruin your appreciation of even the best APS-C or FF cameras, imho.

Yesterday, I decided I had to try out the GFX50R and see if the weight would still be a problem. In fact, I was able to handle it side by side with the 50S and with the same lens on both models. The 50R felt considerably lighter. Also, the form factor of the 50R is more comfortable for me, even if the body does have some reduction in facilities compared to the 50S.

The store offered me a fully refurbished 50R at a price which was comparable with a Sony A7RIII and a lot less than the forthcoming A7RIV. In addition they also had a refurbed 45/2.8 for the price of the soon to arrive 50/3.5 (which I was considering). The weight difference I think is not so much and the 45/2.8 is in my opinion the best rendering lens in the GF line up (very Leica-like, imho, if that makes sense).

And the body came with a 5 year warranty!

I'll just have to man-up and cope with the camera because just taking these few test shots I'm seeing the rendering and sharpness which I have missed so much.

Apologies for the ramble. An expensive mistake selling my GFX50S kit in the first place. I should have just traded the body and maybe the 32-64 and 120 in for a 50R and kept the 45 and 23. As it is I will now be looking for a good second hand or refurbished 23mm which will probably be the only other lens I will use (also considering the new Zero-D 17mm from Laowa).

LouisB

Last edited:

Knorp

I agree. I now have to wait until my wallet recovers before tracking down a well priced 23/4.

I know. I embarrass myself. Despite investing in some nice XF glass I just missed the impressive detail, rendering and dynamic range of the GFX. I came back from a recent trip to the Yorkshire Moors feeling as though I had fantastic landscape opportunities but not the camera to match them. I would say to anyone who is considering the GFX, be very careful. Once you go MF digital it will ruin your appreciation of even the best APS-C or FF cameras, imho.

Yesterday, I decided I had to try out the GFX50R and see if the weight would still be a problem. In fact, I was able to handle it side by side with the 50S and with the same lens on both models. The 50R felt considerably lighter. Also, the form factor of the 50R is more comfortable for me, even if the body does have some reduction in facilities compared to the 50S.

The store offered me a fully refurbished 50R at a price which was comparable with a Sony A7RIII and a lot less than the forthcoming A7RIV. In addition they also had a refurbed 45/2.8 for the price of the soon to arrive 50/3.5 (which I was considering). The weight difference I think is not so much and the 45/2.8 is in my opinion the best rendering lens in the GF line up (very Leica-like, imho, if that makes sense).

And the body came with a 5 year warranty!

I'll just have to man-up and cope with the camera because just taking these few test shots I'm seeing the rendering and sharpness which I have missed so much.

Apologies for the ramble. An expensive mistake selling my GFX50S kit in the first place. I should have just traded the body and maybe the 32-64 and 120 in for a 50R and kept the 45 and 23. As it is I will now be looking for a good second hand or refurbished 23mm which will probably be the only other lens I will use (also considering the new Zero-D 17mm from Laowa).

LouisB
Good show, Louis. Hope you'll find your 23 pretty soon.
To me a 17 UWA seems a bit too much, I find the 23 already almost more than I can handle.
Actually I'm looking forward to that 45-100/4.
But I can imagine you prefer to stick to the lighter primes.

All the best.