The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

scho

Will, I explained in a discussion above that weight or not I decided that after only a few months of working with only my X-T3 I missed the detail, dynamic range and general look of the GFX sensor so much I just had to go back to it - weight or no weight. The GFX50R is significantly lighter and less 'bricky' than the 50S and if I avoid using anything but the lightest lenses, e.g. mainly use the 45/2.8 then I can cope with the weight. I was also prompted to make the move because I found a good deal on a refurbished 50R body and lens which otherwise would have been significantly more expensive. If my experience is anything to go by you have to be careful downgrading from MF to smaller sensors because you will be dissatisfied with the results thereafter.

LouisB
I am in the same boat after selling my Pentax 645 Z and most of the 645 lenses (although I do still have a few of the old Pentax A MF lenses (including the 120 macro, 35, and 45) in my "lens orphanage" box). I purchased the Fuji GFX 50R and 45/2.8 to get back into MF again and kit will arrive tomorrow. Also picked up a Kipon EF to GFX AF adapter to use with some of my Canon lenses. I'm hoping that the 24mm TS-E will do OK and perhaps the 16-35 f/4. !00-400 will have to be my long lens for now, but not sure what focal lengths will be useful and play nice with the GFX.

scho

The new Fuji GFX 50R with 45/2.8 lens arrived today (in the rain of course) and it is beautiful, fully functional and a joy to hold and use (much lighter than my old 645z). Took a few snaps to make sure all was fine with the camera and lens and it was. Can't say the same for the Kipon adapter for my EF lenses. I think it is faulty because it will not allow aperture control as advertised. Defaults to f/22 no matter what lens I mount. I can take a shot (at f/22) and it works, also recording exif OK, but lack of aperture control is a non starter for me. A couple of samples below.

with the native 45

with the Canon 16-35 via Kipon EF adapter (see exif here)

PeterA

As an aside - I can't 'see' the real difference between 24 and 100mp in online posts. I currently use an Imacpro with a 5K retina screen and C1/Photoshop to do most of the little PP I do and the level of detail and subtlety that I can see zoomed in before preparing a file for online viewing is totally different to what can be achieved in a 300-500kb jpeg posted on line. For most people's purposes 24megapixels/40/50/60 is getting to way overkill if all they wish to do is share on line or print a 8X10....it is easy to demonstrate resolution - much harder to demonstrate colour/tonality/microcontrast and the 'elbow room' that large megapixel cameras deliver these days...

tbh - the resolving power of the GFX50 series is plenty as is colour tonality and overall IQ - the major 'benefit' I can see in the 100mp (for me) is IBIS AND cropping power so I have got what I thought I would be paying for ...still working through learning the camera in some ways handling is much better than 50 series - in other ways I think handling is less intuitive - I would have preferred the dials as in 50 series to the DSLR stuff - as it is set up from factory - front dial is ISO and back dial is shutter speed - the front dial ISO is pain in the neck for me - too easy to accidentally touch it and change ISO - has happened to me without me even knowing......so i will change configuration - MUCH prefer a dedicated ISO button as per 50 series.

This camera is designed to make large prints and to be shot like a pro DSLR in hand - nothing that Phase One make comes close to real world functionality as the GFX - nothing - the only camera arguably as good as 50- series is the XID or X11D - and they are clunky compared to anything Fuji makes. I'm getting the same quality I got out of my Leica S glass out of Fuji glass - with more IQ from more megapixels - and can walk around making happy snaps as if i am carrying a heavier version of an XT-3.

Pete

Knorp

Absolutely, 50 MP seems more than enough for my 'happy snappies'. Processing and storage are also factors of concern with higher pixel sensors.
So I'm still hoping for an improved 50 MP camera.

PeterA

Absolutely, 50 MP seems more than enough for my 'happy snappies'. Processing and storage are also factors of concern with higher pixel sensors.
So I'm still hoping for an improved 50 MP camera.
If you get a chance try out a 100 in particular the EVF/Viewfinder that is a clear improvement, then see how IBIS works - especially with your longer lenses....that is the real difference - if the upgrade viewfinder/EVF and add IBIS - either the R or S would be just about perfect. I'd probably use an R2 body more than the 100 as a walk around camera.

Pelorus

Coming to terms with the GFX50R and the Fuji glass. This is the 32-64 without a lens hood. The flare control is pretty damn good.

scho

Tried the Canon EF TS-E 24/3.5 L II on the 50R via the Kipon adapter. Took two 2 shot vertical panos using shift with 1.5 degrees tilt and stitched with photo merge in LR. The TS-E worked fine with no major issues. Used peaking for MF, but couldn't figure out how to engage zoom magnification to help with focus.

scho

The fungi are taking over the garden after days of cold rain. Fuji GFX 50R with the 45/2.8.

scho

Still checking out my Canon EF mount lenses on the GFX R.

My old leitaxed Leica R 50 Cron exhibits some mild vignetting at f/4, but otherwise does OK.

The Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L (version 1) is OK on center but starts to vignette at about 300mm. The example below was at 296mm f/5.6.

The Canon 16-35 f/4 L is good between about 18-28 mm, but not outstanding. I prefer using the 24 TS-E for wide angle work.

scho

First outing with the 50R and 45/2.8 after 3 days of rain. South end of Cayuga Lake at Stewart Park. Click image for larger view. Boathouse shots have a lot of detail (and moire). Last image is 2 shots stitched in Lightroom.

Last edited: