The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Pelorus

Man about town...(Osaka)

Which do you prefer - top or bottom image? I also tried with the shadows lifted a little, I ended up preferring these.

Taken with that hipster point and shoot camera the GFX 50R - Ideal for quick shots like this :)

Knorp

Man about town...(Osaka)

Which do you prefer - top or bottom image? I also tried with the shadows lifted a little, I ended up preferring these.

IMHO - the first image showing the man's face makes you wonder what he is looking at or waiting for and the second image clearly connects the man to the arriving elevator.
So they both appeal to me each in its own right.

Pelorus

I'm increasingly fascinated by these Japanese juxtapositions. It's a metaphor for Japan in it's own way.

Abeno Harukas at 300 metres is, apparently, the tallest building (not tower) in Japan. (Osaka)

scho

I thought that a night sky full of stars would be more appropriate for this shot so I used Luminar 4 to replace the sky in this GFX 50R shot.

Elderly

Man about town...(Osaka)

Which do you prefer - top or bottom image?
For ME, I prefer the top image - it's great :thumbup: .

The viewer has to stop to think 'what is the man doing there?' and indeed it could be that HE doesn't know what he's doing there :D.

The top image is IMO better balanced left and right edges, and I am slightly disturbed by the converging verticals at the right edge of the lower image.

Pelorus

Darkness and light (Nishi Hazu)

This is one of my favourite places in the world. What goes on here? Not much. Everybody works on the assumption that if you've come to Nishi Hazu you speak Japanese. I'd just had a lengthy conversation with an old gentleman about the vagaries of fishing and the uselessness of the strategies adopted by some of the fishermen we could see!!

I arrived here, after a meandering train ride to the rag-end of the Japanese rail system - Shinkansen, local express, local red-rattler - just as sunset was coming on. I dumped my gear grabbed a camera and headed for the shore. I started out at 400 ISO and by the time I got to this point I was at 10,000 ISO. I could have been a stop or two lower but I'd been facing the darkness a few seconds before and needed every bit of it. I like the high ISO performance, yes there's heaps of noise but this sort of works. There is something to be had in the shadows in post, but it sort of stuffs the picture.

Pelorus

Darkness (Nishi Hazu)

This one it was so dark that I couldn't read my watch. Hand held. It's so noisy as to be almost painterly, but still it seems to work.

scho

Two shots from a walk along Cayuga Lake at the south end of the lake. GFX 50R 45/2.8 Processed in Luminar 4.

East Shore

West Shore

Pelorus

This is Japan (Nishi Hazu & Higashi Hazu)

When people think about Japan they often have a vision of the size, glitz, glamour and bustle of Tokyo or Osaka. But this picture represents a lot about the other Japan.

Of the world's "developed" economies Japan has the third greatest percentage of forested land (67%) behind only Finland and Sweden. Much of that 67% is also hilly or mountainous. Flying over Japan you are struck by the way the population is jammed into the low lying land around the sea and around the lower reaches of rivers. This concentrates the population and also makes the country very vulnerable to natural disasters like tsunami.

Travelling in rural and regional Japan you can find hundreds of communities like this. Nestled by the sea, dotted with islands; lots of little ports for fishing or coastal vessels; schools with yellow sandy play areas; office and commercial premises tucked cheek by jowl with houses. Forests, hills, mountains and rivers in tight proximity to clustered communities, and snaking through it all the ubiquitous railways.

Everywhere you are struck by three other things: The over-sized remnants of the early 80s bubble; the crumbling and ageing infrastructure; and the ageing population.

biglouis

What's his name Louis? He's getting so tame he'll be sleeping in front of the fire soon!!

Great shots.
That made me laugh. At present we only call him Alpha Fox because he is the one animal born this year who remains in this territory. In other words, he has seen off all his siblings, which as I understand it is standard fox behaviour.

Recently, though I have been toying with the idea of calling him 'Schnorrer', a Yiddish term which is described from Wikipedia as "meaning "beggar" or "sponger". The word Schnorrer originally occurred in the German language to describe a freeloader who frequently asks for little things, like cigarettes or little sums of money, without offering a return" - or in his case: lots of food. He especially likes jam sandwiches and peanuts but we also make sure he has dog food and other meat treats.

scho

That made me laugh. At present we only call him Alpha Fox because he is the one animal born this year who remains in this territory. In other words, he has seen off all his siblings, which as I understand it is standard fox behaviour.

Recently, though I have been toying with the idea of calling him 'Schnorrer', a Yiddish term which is described from Wikipedia as "meaning "beggar" or "sponger". The word Schnorrer originally occurred in the German language to describe a freeloader who frequently asks for little things, like cigarettes or little sums of money, without offering a return" - or in his case: lots of food. He especially likes jam sandwiches and peanuts but we also make sure he has dog food and other meat treats.
Beautiful animal and great images Louis. You are very fortunate to have been adopted by this inquisitive fox and allowed to observe him so closely.