The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

scho

A dismal day with drizzle and grey skies. The local marina handheld shot with the Fuji GFX 50R and Laowa 17mm.

scho

One more shot from the Marina. Same details as above. Both of these shots were focused at about 3 meters, ISO 160, f/11.

biglouis

A few more with the Laowa 17mm on the 50R. These were all 9-shot bracketed and I also had a circular polariser on the lens - a big advantage of having a UWA with a filter thread. I can't stack the polariser with the lens protection filter without seeing the rim in the corners but on its own it is fine.

A few thoughts if people are interested (or you can just skip to the photos!).

The lens is sharp. As sharp as a Fuji? Difficult to say. There is significant improvement at f11 over f4 with the Laowa and given the weight - it is quite hefty - all my shots to date are on a tripod at iso100. At f16 (these photographs) the sharpness is very good indeed. And even allowing for the saturation effect of HDR the colour draw is very nice. To be fair I maintain that the sensor on the 50R/S is about as good as it gets so I suspect you could mount the bottom of a milk bottle and get nice shots (joke, of course).

I feel a bit disloyal saying this but I always found my Fuji 23mm when it owned it, not wide enough. I loved the sharpness and colour draw of that lens but for architecture I was compelled to use my XF 10-24 on the X-T3 where I would have preferred to use the 50S (when I had it). Now, I can take the architectural shots I want with the 50R and I'll probably leave the XT-3/10-24 at home.

As you can see 17mm is almost too wide but given the immense crop-ability of the 50R sensor (and I guess even more so, the GFX100!) it really is not a problem. You can get a level horizon in most cases and chop out the bit you don't need and still be left with an enormous image. The lens does produce wonderful panoramic opportunities and I keep cropping these out of both landscape and portrait images.

Worth pointing out it is a manual lens but at f16, for architecture, there is little point in doing anything other than leaving the lens on infinity. I did try playing around with hyperfocal distance with near shots but I haven't got any conclusions about that yet. When I was shooting with my Hasselblad SWC I eventually gave up on hyperfocal and only shot on infinity and improved my sharpness no end for architecture - so I am carrying that experience over onto this lens.

The cost to me of the lens (with a seasonal discount) was about GBP500+ less than a second user GF 23mm or GBP 1300 less than a new one. Quite a compelling financial case.

All the photographs are taken on the Royal London Hospital estate in Whitechapel, in East London, England. The top two are the early 20th century medical buildings which in their day were state of the art but now are scheduled for demolition (shame!). The final one is the 1960s Dental Institute which was also an important architectural development but has now been replaced with a brand new 21st century building nearby.

scho

My wife and I took an early afternoon walk from our house on south hill in Ithaca, NY up to the Ithaca College campus (less than a mile away). It was an eerie experience for two reasons. First it was December 23 (normally very cold and snowy) but this day it was absolute calm, beautiful clear blue sky, and 51 degrees F. The most delicious Dec 23 I have experienced in a long time. The second eerie feeling came from the absolute silence on the campus (normally a boisterous, bustling place as you would expect on a college campus), but today everyone had left for the holidays and we had the entire campus for ourselves. A few shots from our walk across the campus with the GFX 50R with 45/2.8 XF.

biglouis

Antique Wedgwood 'Hedgehog' crocus brick - grown by my wife. 50R+63/2.8. This is 13 exposures at f4, focus stacked so that I can get the whole subject sharp but still blow out most of the background. Processed in LR, CS and ColorEffex.

If you are interested in seeing the full sized jpeg (30Mb) then click on the photo to download it.

biglouis

Antique Wedgwood 'Hedgehog' crocus brick - grown by my wife. 50R+63/2.8. This is 13 exposures at f4, focus stacked so that I can get the whole subject sharp but still blow out most of the background. Processed in LR, CS and ColorEffex.

If you are interested in seeing the full sized jpeg (30Mb) then click on the photo to download it.

Knorp

Detail is excellent, but it seems the stacking software had a hard time or perhaps more exposures were required ?

biglouis

Detail is excellent, but it seems the stacking software had a hard time or perhaps more exposures were required ?
Yes, I noticed that. Goes to show you really do have to check as you go. I needed one or two more at the top of the pot and also one or two more on the left. Incidentally, I don't use the inbuilt focus bracketing of the camera. When I experimented with it on the 50S I had poor results, which is why I do it by moving the focus point around in a sort-of grid like basis.

Here is another shot from today, taken with the 50R and the Laowa GF17mm which has a minimum focusing distance of about 20cms, making it an 'ultra-wide' macro. As it is a manual lens I set the focus to a rough distance of 40cms and it looks pretty sharp all over (full size is 13mb download).

This final one is similar but I focus stacked two images, one focused on the stamen in the nearest flower and one focused on the table. Personally, I think the detail is drop-dead amazing (39mb download)

The detail is so amazing it reveals (a) I should have wiped down the table, (b) I ought to get off my lazy-backside and sand it down and re-varnish it!