The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

Channeling the thought that everything Fuji goes in one place...

Today has been 39 celsius. A blistering, dry, sharp day. Little wind, not a single cloud and your skin feels like it's about to peel from the blast of the sun. Tomorrow will be hotter. But evening is here and it's cooled a little.
What a nightmare, I don't envy you guys.
What else can I say other than 'stay cool' ... :shocked:

PeterA

Since the weather is so hot and so full of haze and smoke I don't have any interesting or even half decent shots to post atm ...so.....a story...

While I was having an afternoon stroll the metal ring on my Leica CL somehow managed to work its way out of the Leica little ring on the body and the camera took one of those slow motion tumbles off my shoulder on to concrete putting a slight dent in the corner of the toplate ( bye bye resale value) and destroying the lens hood ( hello Leica repair) of the 50 lux I had on it at the time....

I have previously sold my Noctilux and a few other Leica M lenses along with my M10 so now I didnt have a small /lightweight 50 which is my go to lens usually.....what to do?

I have now purchased my first ever Voigtlander and the dealer also forced me to buy a 35/2 as well....

We will see how they handle 100MP on the GFX soon enough - first shot with 35/2 on the GFX is a shot of the 50 Nocton - I already know that a bit of fringing is part and parcel of lenses not supported by manufacturer in camera fixes....the 35 isn't anywhere near as good as a GFX Fuji lens ( see the green fringing on edge of speaker?) ....but no pixel peeping sees even at close focusing distance wide open - not bad for a relatively inexpensive lens...and the fringing I can always hide with a B&W conversion! :)

GFX100| Voigtlander 35/2 Ultron

Pelorus

Thanks Bart, on one level we are used to it. Australia has hot blasts in the summer and has ever since I've lived here :p What we aren't used to is the fact that it's just warmer overall and drier. It's sort of like "too much of a good thing"...and stay awake because there'll be more where this came from!!

The solar panels on the roof kick out a few kilowatts and the air-conditioning sucks it away and then some from the grid...and in amongst that you hope that the peak power demand (which always comes at the hottest time on the hottest days) doesn't trigger rolling blackouts.

What I'm most interested in is our landscaper who has elected to lay 100 kilogram rocks today in forecast 41 degree heat and high humidity. I can't fathom that :ROTFL: There may be pictures :cool:

What a nightmare, I don't envy you guys.
What else can I say other than 'stay cool' ... :shocked:

PeterA

I was expecting a fast 35mm lens to deliver the type of roll off at wide open apertures that the lens indeed did deliver. Certainly the Ultron 50/1.2 has some the potential to satisfy those that want to employ the type of 'character' it lends itself to in their lens collection.

Well I've been 'testing' the Voigtlander M mount 50 Ultron f1.2 over the last couple of days on the GFX and the SL2 via a Fotodiox M to GFX adaptor and the Leica M to L adaptor (which included some decent blue skies and light) and long story short it is going back.

From a handling perspective the lens is very well made , focuses smoothly and of course has the utility of aperture ring on lens. I haven't bothered to test the lens on the SL or the CL or the Fuji XT-3.

Quick summary of why I am not happy is ( usual caveats - maybe I am not capable of using it/ maybe my example was a 'bad one' etc etc etc)
I suspect that the newer formulations coming out from Voigtlander labelled as apo with Sony mounts - may have corrected for these issues below.

1. Severe green fringing and chromatic aberration when viewed at 1-2X - as I print large this isn't acceptable to me and can't be fixed in PP
2. On high MP cameras achieving critical focus was extremely difficult if not impossible using pixel peaking and magnification - again perhaps more skilled shooters may not have this problem
3. Severe vignetting which depending on shot and circumstance can or cannot be fixed in C1/LR in PP - hence the need to crop
4. The lens is not sharp ( well not up to Fuji standards ) at distance irrespective of care taken to shoot.
5. I am not interested in buying after market lens flanges and coding the lens - why Voigtlander didn't provide the simple amenity of at least a blank but machined 6 digit lens flange ( since it has a Leica M mount) is beyond me.

Happy to post some examples of why it may look good at first glance but doesn't pass on detailed viewing if anyone is interested.

Pete

Last edited:

scho

Prophetically, at least one reviewer made the comment that although an excellent lens, the 50/3.5 is not a 1K lens and more like a 500-600 dollar lens.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I succumbed to X-H1 fever. Here's the traditional first image, 56/1.2 wide open and Cat.

Now I just need some more lenses... :LOL:

Matt

Last edited: