The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

PeterA

Following the Bushfires we have had a couple of cyclonic weather episodes hitting the East Coast of Australia. So it is the land of drought and flood...I am documenting the effects of the cyclones here in Sydney as far as their impact goes on the beach I live on. It has been a catastrophic perfect storm of unusually high 'King" tides +/- 2.5 meters or about 8 feet in Imperial when combined with Winds gusting up to 40mph bringing in storm waves -we have trouble.

Below is an example fo the size of wave hitting the beach from yesterday...

Still shots taken from a couple of hundred meters away can't really show the size of these monster waves - beautiful but damaging...the front wave pictured is a the second rise and fall of the back wave - front wave is 3-4 meters back wave is 5-7 meters - compression of scene via tele distorts size...and the cliffs were too dangerous to venture on to to get a sideways shot - they were being doused with water and spray

GFX100+ 250+TC

Pelorus

Which beach are you on Pete? That whole coast north of the harbour seems to be taking a real pounding! Lord Howe seems to have got off lightly considering that the system went right over the top...

Following the Bushfires we have had a couple of cyclonic weather episodes hitting the East Coast of Australia. So it is the land of drought and flood...I am documenting the effects of the cyclones here in Sydney as far as their impact goes on the beach I live on. It has been a catastrophic perfect storm of unusually high 'King" tides +/- 2.5 meters or about 8 feet in Imperial when combined with Winds gusting up to 40mph bringing in storm waves -we have trouble.

Below is an example fo the size of wave hitting the beach from yesterday...

Still shots taken from a couple of hundred meters away can't really show the size of these monster waves - beautiful but damaging...the front wave pictured is a the second rise and fall of the back wave - front wave is 3-4 meters back wave is 5-7 meters - compression of scene via tele distorts size...and the cliffs were too dangerous to venture on to to get a sideways shot - they were being doused with water and spray

GFX100+ 250+TC

PeterA

Which beach are you on Pete? That whole coast north of the harbour seems to be taking a real pounding! Lord Howe seems to have got off lightly considering that the system went right over the top...
I live on the Queenscliff end of Manly ie North Manly - the Beach is over a kilometer long. The only way I could get better shots of the size of these waves was to go in the water - but the water has also been polluted by the lagoon that runs into the beach (Manly Lagoon) itsef polluted by all sorts of run off and huge bits of trees which have been spilled into the waterway which find their way into the beach...Queenscliff Beach has largely been taken away by the combination of Flooding lagoon sweeping sand into ocean and huge waves on king tides taking it all away..also I dont fgancy swimming amongst 15-20 footers or trying to get out in white water that is 10 foot tall!

PeterA

no darktable yet, rather my darkmood ... :rolleyes:
I understand - my mother turns 94 this Thursday all the best to you and your Dad.

I've had a quick look at darktable and I think it seems to have some powerful features to go along with a very steep learning curve...I think not for me - but Williams - (the youtube guy) lives in Sydney so maybe I'll get him to give me a crash course - on day.

Knorp

I understand - my mother turns 94 this Thursday all the best to you and your Dad.

I've had a quick look at darktable and I think it seems to have some powerful features to go along with a very steep learning curve...I think not for me - but Williams - (the youtube guy) lives in Sydney so maybe I'll get him to give me a crash course - on day.
Still scratching my head how to generate any output ... :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

biglouis

Bokeh test at f3.5 with the GF50/3.5. Reminds me very much of the Leica Elmar 2.8, which was my favourite lens on Leica film and drf bodies. The lens is very sharp in the centre at f3.5 and a little weak at the corners, although I would argue it is more than acceptable. By f5.6 the lens is completely sharp all over the frame.

BTW: there is one annoying feature of the lens. It is so light that the body tends to tip up backwards while carrying the camera and lens on a neck strap (which I carry across my body). I've never encountered this with any other GF lens as they are generally heavy enough to top the body forwards. This is exacerbated by the strap lugs being at the front of the body as opposed to the centre or back. There is always something...

50mm iso320 f3.5 1/400

50mm iso2000 f3.5 1/800

This was a test of how the lens looks wide open in landscape situations. Again, very reminiscent of the Leica Elmar 50 at f2.8.

50mm iso160 f3.5 1/250

Pelorus

Thanks Louis, I think it was Pete said that Fuji can't make a bad lens...

As for the 50R and straps, I've never used it with a strap on the two top lugs. I either use it with a Peak Design wrist strap on the lug to my right hand or with one of their over the body straps (Leash?) attached to the lug on the photographers right hand and to a small Arca compatible plate that Peak Design make, screwed to the tripod mount. Both work well for me, with the exception that the zooms "walk" out to their longest extent.

Regards
Mike

[snip]
BTW: there is one annoying feature of the lens. It is so light that the body tends to tip up backwards while carrying the camera and lens on a neck strap (which I carry across my body). I've never encountered this with any other GF lens as they are generally heavy enough to top the body forwards. This is exacerbated by the strap lugs being at the front of the body as opposed to the centre or back. There is always something...

[snip]