The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Print size for XT2/Xt3?

jdphoto

I have the opportunity to shoot with a new Fuji Xt3 for a commercial job and was curious about the maximum print size I might achieve should the occasion arise for larger prints. I have a Nikon D810, but really like the form factor and the rendering of the 56mm 1.2. Print size of course, varies with a given viewing distance and PPI, as well as material used for output. Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.

P.S. I know this has been asked before , but new BSI sensors and slightly higher mega pixels might change the results.

iiiNelson

I have the opportunity to shoot with a new Fuji Xt3 for a commercial job and was curious about the maximum print size I might achieve should the occasion arise for larger prints. I have a Nikon D810, but really like the form factor and the rendering of the 56mm 1.2. Print size of course, varies with a given viewing distance and PPI, as well as material used for output. Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.

P.S. I know this has been asked before , but new BSI sensors and slightly higher mega pixels might change the results.
I don’t see why you couldn’t print at the same sizes and resolution that you would for a 24 megapixel camera (I know this is a 26 megapixel camera but shouldn’t make a huge difference). I’ve printed with good to great results (IMO) up to 24x36 with a 24 megapixel camera. I used to regularly print at 18x27 with my M9’s. All at 300-360dpi on an Epson printer.

Shashin

There really is no limit to print size. I have made very nice 60" prints from D600 24MP images. I have made 40" prints from X Pro2 files. It is not quite as simple as shooting a file to a printer, you will have to process for the size, mostly to do with sharpening, but it is not rocket science either. Print big and be happy...

jdphoto

Thanks for the input...
I was also thinking that I could use image resizing software or even shoot a pano and stitch the images together. Any recommendations for image resizing software?
Some might think why not just shoot with the D810? It's a valid question, but having owned both, I really like the form factor and lenses of the Fuji, especially the XF 56mm 1.2. My only gripe when using LR and Fuji, (an older version) is the crushed blacks that look really nasty in underexposed areas. I had better results with Iridient though. FF does have better low light, but I usually shoot with strobes anyway.