The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Did Fuji essentially kill Pentax 645?

V

Vivek

I am curious if the Pentax DSLR has a fleeting chance to compete against the GFX?

Their ill fated steam punk K mount mirrorless indicates that route is closed.

Will they survive in some form?

iiiNelson

I am curious if the Pentax DSLR has a fleeting chance to compete against the GFX?

Their ill fated steam punk K mount mirrorless indicates that route is closed.

Will they survive in some form?
There are rumors that there will be a new 645 model at Photokina 2019. Don’t know how true or accurate they are but Pentax still has a cult following.

Michiel Schierbeek

It will survive as long as I keep using it!
It is still the same sensor and has some great lenses.

It is only for very strong people though!

It's suffering the slow death of Ricoh products sadly. Just look at the K-1 II, barely an upgrade over the K-1, and in some ways a downgrade. Only one new FF lens in the Tokina made 50/1.4. Nothing wrong with that lens, supposedly it's superb, but they can't even get Sigma to fill out the Art line up in K mount.

The Z is still a great camera. I am a big fan of the lens line up for it, like the 55/2.8, 28-45, and 90mm. But it would be hard to justify getting a new Z over a Fuji these days. I hope it gets the update that Pentax users deserve.

gurtch

I have always been a two format photographer --- all the way back to my film-darkroom days. I was an early adopter of the 645D, I still had MF lenses from my film days to use with it. I used it for many years. Last December, I had open heart surgery, and I will turn 82 years of age in February. End of an era for me....Just way too heavy for me. I sold it and got a Fuji GFX 50R, with 23mm and 32-64mm lenses....the body weighs almost exactly half of the Pentax weight. The Pentax lenses I still have can be used with an adapter, although I will slowly sell them off for modern Fuji lenses. I compliment this medium format outfit with a Sony A7RII with lenses from 12mm to 560mm. Different horses for different courses. And yes, I love the 50R. I posted several seascapes made with it on another thread. It is a marvelous machine with georgeous lenses ( with good 'ol diaphragm rings).
Dave in NJ.
Www.modernpictorials.com