Site Sponsors

Thread: Did Fuji essentially kill Pentax 645?

Vivek

Question Did Fuji essentially kill Pentax 645?

I am curious if the Pentax DSLR has a fleeting chance to compete against the GFX?

Their ill fated steam punk K mount mirrorless indicates that route is closed.

Will they survive in some form?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did Fuji essentially kill Pentax 645?

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am curious if the Pentax DSLR has a fleeting chance to compete against the GFX?

Their ill fated steam punk K mount mirrorless indicates that route is closed.

Will they survive in some form?
    There are rumors that there will be a new 645 model at Photokina 2019. Donít know how true or accurate they are but Pentax still has a cult following.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It will survive as long as I keep using it!
    It is still the same sensor and has some great lenses.

It is only for very strong people though!
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's suffering the slow death of Ricoh products sadly. Just look at the K-1 II, barely an upgrade over the K-1, and in some ways a downgrade. Only one new FF lens in the Tokina made 50/1.4. Nothing wrong with that lens, supposedly it's superb, but they can't even get Sigma to fill out the Art line up in K mount.

The Z is still a great camera. I am a big fan of the lens line up for it, like the 55/2.8, 28-45, and 90mm. But it would be hard to justify getting a new Z over a Fuji these days. I hope it gets the update that Pentax users deserve.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have always been a two format photographer --- all the way back to my film-darkroom days. I was an early adopter of the 645D, I still had MF lenses from my film days to use with it. I used it for many years. Last December, I had open heart surgery, and I will turn 82 years of age in February. End of an era for me....Just way too heavy for me. I sold it and got a Fuji GFX 50R, with 23mm and 32-64mm lenses....the body weighs almost exactly half of the Pentax weight. The Pentax lenses I still have can be used with an adapter, although I will slowly sell them off for modern Fuji lenses. I compliment this medium format outfit with a Sony A7RII with lenses from 12mm to 560mm. Different horses for different courses. And yes, I love the 50R. I posted several seascapes made with it on another thread. It is a marvelous machine with georgeous lenses ( with good 'ol diaphragm rings).
    Dave in NJ.
    Www.modernpictorials.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post