The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone get the new GFX 50R yet?

V

Vivek

It is available in the Netherlands. I am very interested but have not decided on any camera purchases for this year.

algrove

It is available in the Netherlands. I am very interested but have not decided on any camera purchases for this year.
Vivek

So with less than 30 days remaining in this year (2018) it looks like you must decide soon or defer to 2019.

Don Libby

It seems to me that the sole difference between the 50R and 50S is that the R is slightly smaller with the deletion of the top view finder. I wanted to have a smaller camera I could just remove the top viewfinder and have very close to the same thing.

What am I missing here?

I'm currently trying to plan ahead seeing what I'll do with the 50S once I get my hands on the 100. Might remove the top viewfinder and use it that way if I wanted/needed a slightly smaller system to walk around with.

algrove

You have missed nothing.

I am just worried that the R's grip might be lame versus the S. Some believe Fuji will release a grip add-on in the future which if true means the ergonomics of the S grip is about right.

Using the R as an excuse to assemble a few good lenses for my needs and then like you see what the 100 finally holds.

PeterA

You have missed nothing.

I am just worried that the R's grip might be lame versus the S. Some believe Fuji will release a grip add-on in the future which if true means the ergonomics of the S grip is about right.

Using the R as an excuse to assemble a few good lenses for my needs and then like you see what the 100 finally holds.
good strategy I think -I'm doing the same with the S and may even swap the S into an R as a spare body when I get the 100MP big boy - my good friend and dealer offered me a deal too good to refuse knowing I am impatient once having made a decision so I am a very happy user of the S now.

k-hawinkler

It seems to me that the sole difference between the 50R and 50S is that the R is slightly smaller with the deletion of the top view finder. I wanted to have a smaller camera I could just remove the top viewfinder and have very close to the same thing.What am I missing here?I'm currently trying to plan ahead seeing what I'll do with the 50S once I get my hands on the 100. Might remove the top viewfinder and use it that way if I wanted/needed a slightly smaller system to walk around with.
You have missed nothing.I am just worried that the R's grip might be lame versus the S. Some believe Fuji will release a grip add-on in the future which if true means the ergonomics of the S grip is about right.Using the R as an excuse to assemble a few good lenses for my needs and then like you see what the 100 finally holds.
good strategy I think -I'm doing the same with the S and may even swap the S into an R as a spare body when I get the 100MP big boy - my good friend and dealer offered me a deal too good to refuse knowing I am impatient once having made a decision so I am a very happy user of the S now.
What are you guys talking about? :banghead: IMHO I won’t do without the EVF swivel attachment, battery grip and the 50S. I have no interest in the 50R. The 100S is a different story of course.Presuming the 100S turns out to be a great camera with no major flaws, I would like to have one in addition to the 50S for a terrific 2 camera setup!Having the 50S now is a lot of fun to get to experience and appreciate the stellar Fujimon GF lenses. AS far as I am concerned I am not holding my breath for the 100S. Fuji should take their time, get the 100S right, and not release it rematurely.

V

Vivek

It is perfectly understandable that the S owners would not want to get an R.

Fuji’s clever strategy to entend the use of the older (cheaper) sensor with a more compact camera housing will be lost on them.

It remains to be seen if the prices of the R will come down soon or it will become popular with new users and remain the same for a while.

PeterA

It is perfectly understandable that the S owners would not want to get an R.

Fuji’s clever strategy to entend the use of the older (cheaper) sensor with a more compact camera housing will be lost on them.

It remains to be seen if the prices of the R will come down soon or it will become popular with new users and remain the same for a while.
I mihght pick up an R - just so I can start a thread saying 'fun with GFXR' or maybe get really photographic savvy and creative and start a 'definitive GFX B&W Street thread':ROTFL:

good idea Vivek?:grin:

V

Vivek

I am waiting to see who is going to use the new 50mp monochrome Sony sensor. That is far more attractive to me.

Pete, Go ahead! :thumbs:

algrove

I am waiting to see who is going to use the new 50mp monochrome Sony sensor. That is far more attractive to me.

Pete, Go ahead! :thumbs:
In the back of my mind I had contemplated getting the R converted but then I read that your guy cannot do the Fuji 50 conversion

V

Vivek

“My guy” can do it if anyone can. :grin:

Risks associated with the larger sensor are even more and would be very costly to him.

algrove

A 50R with Sony 50MP B&W and say the new 50mm lens coming out in 2019 would be a nice combination