The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the GFX 50R

DougDolde

Moon Over White Tank. Joshua Tree National Park. GFX-50R, 50mm. Two frames stitched vertically. Best camera I've ever owned
873F1B37-EA89-4158-A122-F901475E918D.jpeg

biglouis

Moon Over White Tank. Joshua Tree National Park. GFX-50R, 50mm. Two frames stitched vertically. Best camera I've ever owned
Great photo.

The most Leica-like non-Leica camera I've ever owned. And unlike a Leica, it actually works.

scho

A re-processed image taken last fall at Buttermilk Falls with the GFX 50R and Canon EF 24/3.5 TS-E II. I sold the camera shortly after this image was taken to buy a Sony A7RIV, but I missed the 50R and could not bond with the Sony. Just traded back for my old 50R and I'm happy again.

scho

A stainless steel sculpture of a whooping crane at Sapsucker Woods, Cornell Lab of Ornithology. A 5 shot focus stack from the 50R with GF 50/3.5. This was processed from OOC fine jpegs in iPad Pro, Affinity focus merge module and final stacked jpeg exported directly to flickr with no additional processing. Click for full size original.

Same scene processed from the raw files in LR, with stacking in Zerene and final sharpening in Topaz Sharpen AI.

Last edited:

scho

Another view of the pond at Sapsucker Woods. A 5 shot focus stack processed from raws as described in previous post.

scho

Carl, I'm going to try focus stacking (to learn something new during the pandemic), and your photos of the pond at Sapsucker Woods have inspired me. Did you capture the 5-shot stack using the camera's focus stack feature or by manually selecting five separate focus points in the scene? I'm assuming that, employing the former method, the camera used e-shutter. My reluctance to use focus stacking to this point has been due to the difficulty of eliminating artifacts caused by moving subjects (leaves, grasses, branches, etc.). For example, this is a crop from the immediate foreground of your last shot:

Your subjects are similar to my own - forests, park lands, etc. Lloyd Chambers pushes focus stacking but his subjects are typically rocks and mountains that don't move.

Have you found one focus stacking app (Zerene, Helicon, Affinity) to do better than others? Do you use layers in Photoshop or C1 to remove the artifacts? Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Hi Joe,

I would usually try to avoid scenes with a lot of vegetation on windy days, but I had just updated the 50R to new firmware with improved focus bracketing so I wanted to test it. I could use PS layers to correct small areas with ghosting, but I'd rather not get into that level of processing if avoidable. The Canon TS-E lenses are good alternatives where tilt can be easily applied to get more DOF and the 24 TS-E is particularly good on the 50R with an adapter. For stacking I use Affinity focus merge on my iPad Pro and either Zerene or Helicon on the mac desktop. I have recently been using Zerene more often because it is fast, easy to use and produces decent results comparable to Helicon output.

Best regards,
Carl

vjbelle

I have found it easier to use the editing feature of the stacking program rather than use PS. Both Zerene and Helicon have powerful editing features that are very similar and really don't require any kind of tutorial. Both are very intuitive and can usually correct relatively severe issues.

Regards...

Victor B

vjbelle

You say either and I say either,
You say neither and I say neither
Either, either neither, neither
Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto
Let's call the whole thing off.:ROTFL:

Cheers.....

Victor B.

DougDolde

You say either and I say either,
You say neither and I say neither
Either, either neither, neither
Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto
Let's call the whole thing off.:ROTFL:

Cheers.....

Victor B.
What's that got to do with anything?

scho

One of my favorite parks in the Ithaca area. Upper Treman State Park at the headwaters of Enfield Creek. There is a small tributary (Fishkill Creek) behind the old mill house that provided the water power for the mill. The mill is no longer operational, but there are artifacts in a small museum in the mill house. The major attraction is the spectacular scenery in the gorge below this site, but I didn't have time to go down there today.

The mill house. 50R + GF 50/3.5

Fishkill Creek behind the mill house. 3 shot focus stack with the 50R + GF 50/3.5 Click for larger image.

scho

Houston Pond at the Cornell Newman Arboretum. GFX 50R with GF 50/3.5, five shot bracket stacked in Zerene.

scho

One more image from the arboretum. There was some severe ghosting when the people in this image moved during the 4 shot focus bracket, so I used the retouching tool in Zerene to correct it. There was also some movement in the vegetation, but I didn't correct it.