The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 50R Work Flow Problems

gurtch

New Fuji user here, but not new to medium format.
Still struggling with Work Flow. My old system was to copy RAW files from card to my hard drive for permanent storage and archiving. Then I would open that folder in Bridge, and decide which RAW files I would convert and further work on them in Photoshop (Camera Raw converts them as you open them, and gives you options for lens corrections, contrast, saturation, etc, etc. The 50R RAF files cannot be opened in my version of Photoshop (CS6). I did download Adobe DNG Converter. I can copy all the RAW files I just archived into DNG Converter and it will convert the RAFs into DNGs, and leave the RAF, so there are two raw files of each image (hard drive space waster). Is there any need to save the RAF if I have a DNG? Here is my disappointment: Photoshop, Bridge, and DXO Optics Pro, will not preview RAF files. BUT Windows File Browser does the opposite: it DOES preview with thumbnails RAFs but NOT DNG thumbnails! And here is the biggest disappointment of all. When I opened the DNGs in Photoshop's Cameras Raw, there are no lens corrections available for the GFX 23mm and 32-64mm Fuji lenses. In the 50R setup I chose to allow the camera to make lens corrections. But they are not available in ACR. Are they done automatically? I down loaded the free version of Capture 1 for Fuji. There is a learning curve which I have not attempted. I tried it on a few RAFs and I converted therm to TIFs, but saw no options for lens corrections. Worst case scenario: Because of my confusion, I end up with three images of each shot: RAF, DNG, and TIF.
I am also going to post this in several places.
TIA
Dave in NJ.....Happy New Year!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Dave!

C1 for Fuji and the GFX will pretty much set the bar ... higher than any other software ... especially now
that Fuji has bought into the magic.

So at some point you will want to learn the software ... in reality it works like any other ... just has a
very convoluted file structure which I ignore.

All of the modules are positioned from left to right at the top ... more or less in the way that you would
want to apply them most of the time.

Library -> Exposure Evaluation -> Lens Correction/Rotation/Crop-> WB/Color Correction -> Exposure/Levels/Curve/Clarity -> Focus/Sharpening/Noise Redux ... -> Styles/Presets -> Annotations -> Process and Output Location and Naming

And not all will apply to your picture. So navigate to the folder where your raw files are ... step to the right and decide if you need lens correction then right to change the WB and color. Further right for exposure and levels ... here the clarity is very good ... need very little and neutral is my preferred type. I tend to add a bit of sharpening then go directly to output.

At the output stage ... I use 16 bit TIFF in ProPhoto RGB ... Open in Photoshop when processed.

I direct the output folder to a new folder where the raw files are stored ... as I import files by camera and date. I name the output folder "C1 Output" ... whenever I need to search for a specific file it is sequestered with the
original raws ... should I need to change it later.

It all works stepwise like LR develop module ... all the flow will be similar so little to learn ... other than how sensitive and good the process in C1 renders the final.

Throw away the DNG files ... they probably do not have all of the correction metadata in a format the programs expect to find and you are much better off with the original raws and outputting a TIFF.

Once you are comfortable with C1 you probably will not use another conversion program ... it is not the best DAM manager ... so you can import the finals into whatever program you prefer.

All of the major players will update their camera lists to include the 50R ... C1 will still be hard to surpass.

Best of luck.

Bob

gurtch

Bob: thank you so much. I marvel at how you, and others here take so much time to help others. I am not a Pro, and will be 82 in February; so some of the conventional wisdom about old dogs learning new tricks has some truth to it. I will go to my computer with a print out of your reply to me, and see how I make out. Although I am an Amateur, I have always been serious about print quality, having made my own prints since 1959, via my home darkroom (16"x20" color & B&W), and now digital prints up to 24"X 32" via Epson 7890. Thus, my interest in medium format. Again thanks all.
Dave
Beach Haven, NJ
Www.modernpictorials.com

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dave

Your pictures are wonderful ... I know that the sensor in the GFX will shine.

Look forward to your future posts from the camera ... and I would love to have the canvas
you see daily.

Best regards and a Blessed New Year.

Bob

algrove

There are choices for processing in C1. I tend to use Sessions because I like to break down my files into smaller sizes by location.The Phase sites with C1 tutorials are quite extensive which you might enjoy reviewing prior too using.

There was a card about C1 in my 50R box, but I did not look at it as I already use C1.

gurtch

First, let me thank everyone that took the time to help someone. I posted this in several places, but in each place I got well thought out suggestions, recommendations, and opinions. I will post this reply on several places as well. The consensus seems to be to go with Capture One, or upgrade to PS and ACR via the rental scheme. My main concern with upgrading my PS and ACR to a monthly rental is not the expense, but the fact that I have a million (exagerated) Plug Ins that I bought and paid for over many many years. I actually have PS version 5 and 6 still on my PC, because some of my favorite plugins were discontinued after down loading and installing on PS 5. I have a different set of Plug Ins on CS 6, and some of them are no longer supported or in business. If I went the rental route, can I have THREE versions running? CS 5 for that set of plug ins, CS6 for a different set, and finally the rental version for RAW file conversion? Just as important as Plug Ins are paid for third party "Actions", such as Blow Up 2, the best and easiest to really enlarge to giant images (for me at least), and another wonderful action for capture sharpening, and output sharpening. The list goes on. I was also advised that "probably" If selected in the camera, that lens corrections are "cooked in" the RAW file, and one does not need to apply lens corrections during the conversion process. Any Fugi experts or Engineers out there?
Thanks all again!!!
Dave

algrove

I did notice with C1 files under the "lens" icon diffraction correction was not automatically checked, however chromatic aberration and hide distorted areas were auto checked.

Last edited: