Site Sponsors

Thread: Fujiís made in China?

Post Thanks / Like

Fujiís made in China?

I just read that the Fuji Xt3 is made in China! My favorite cameras used to be made in Japan, Germany and Sweden. I guess it’s second gen cameras for me.

Vivek

Re: Fujiís made in China?

Uh Oh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jdphoto View Post
    I just read that the Fuji Xt3 is made in China! My favorite cameras used to be made in Japan, Germany and Sweden. I guess itís second gen cameras for me.
    Re. your favourite cameras Japan, Germany, Sweden
    Several of Fujifilm cameras are made in China, Leica is mostly made in Portugal, electronics for it made in Japan and that ones famous Swedish camera is still made in Sweden but is owned by Chinese. Nothing wrong with that.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read that the Fuji Xt3 is made in China! My favorite cameras used to be made in Japan, Germany and Sweden. I guess itís second gen cameras for me.
    Yeah it was a cost saving measure but also why the newer version debuted at $200 less than the previous version despite a lot of maturation of the camera in general.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjr View Post
    Several of Fujifilm cameras are made in China, Leica is mostly made in Portugal, electronics for it made in Japan and that ones famous Swedish camera is still made in Sweden but is owned by Chinese. Nothing wrong with that.
    The newer XC Lenses are made in China too, only the body is still made in Sweden! How long, lets wait and see.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Blanket thread headers can be totally misleading.

My new GFX 50R says "Made in Japan".

23mm "Made in Japan".

45mm "Made in Japan".

32-64mm "Made in Japan".

63mm "Made in Japan".

110mm "Made in Japan"

120mm "Made in Japan"

250mm "Made in Japan".
    Last edited by algrove; 2nd January 2019 at 07:52. Reason: added 110
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Blanket thread headers can be totally misleading.

My new GFX 50R says "Made in Japan".

23mm "Made in Japan".

45mm "Made in Japan".

32-64mm "Made in Japan".

63mm "Made in Japan".

120mm "Made in Japan"

250mm "Made in Japan".

Thanks Lou. So which is your favorite lens so far?
    I have all the lenses you listed, except the 63mm, instead I have the 110mm.
    All the lenses seem superb, so I have a hard time singling one out.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Lou. So which is your favorite lens so far?
    I have all the lenses you listed, except the 63mm, instead I have the 110mm.
    All the lenses seem superb, so I have a hard time singling one out.
    Forgot to add the 110 to the list which is also "Made in Japan".

I like the 23 and from there I do not have enough experience with the others to know. Decided to get the 120 only because of it having OIS, but like the 110 a lot. I guess I was a sale sucker.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the 23 and from there I do not have enough experience with the others to know. Decided to get the 120 only because of it having OIS, but like the 110 a lot. I guess I was a sale sucker.
    Thanks Lou. Yup, I find the GF23 by itself is reason enough to get the 50S or 50R, whatever the case may be. I decided on the 50S as I like the tilting EVF and shoot with my left eye.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cameras as we knew them, precise mechanical instruments, have given way to circuit boards which are conducive to automated processes. If you look at any of the tear down sites of modern mirrorless cameras, the assembly favors robotic assembly. The Chinese have invested a lot into the precise robotics needed to produce high quality electronics at a reasonable cost. In the assembly of the Apple iPhone, precise measurements of the frame are made and the most suitable glass blank is paired with it. If a human were to do this, hours of time would be required to do the measurements and pairing of the glass and frame. The important process is in QC at the end of assembly to insure that the components are functioning properly.

Both Nikon and Canon copied or "borrowed" from Leica and Zeiss in the 1950's and we're the cheap alternatives to the iconic cameras of the time. In the 1960s the Nikon F was the camera to own, the SLR was born and the rangefinders were yesterdays news. So do not discount what the Chinese can do.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought there was a reason why my Xt-3 performs better than my XT-2 did!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Cameras as we knew them, precise mechanical instruments, have given way to circuit boards which are conducive to automated processes. If you look at any of the tear down sites of modern mirrorless cameras, the assembly favors robotic assembly. The Chinese have invested a lot into the precise robotics needed to produce high quality electronics at a reasonable cost. In the assembly of the Apple iPhone, precise measurements of the frame are made and the most suitable glass blank is paired with it. If a human were to do this, hours of time would be required to do the measurements and pairing of the glass and frame. The important process is in QC at the end of assembly to insure that the components are functioning properly.

Both Nikon and Canon copied or "borrowed" from Leica and Zeiss in the 1950's and we're the cheap alternatives to the iconic cameras of the time. In the 1960s the Nikon F was the camera to own, the SLR was born and the rangefinders were yesterdays news. So do not discount what the Chinese can do.
    Well written. While China is still to a certain degree the home of "cheap labour", it's increasingly becoming the home of high tech and automation, the areas where western countries, Singapore and Japan have traditionally been at the forefront. Unfortunately, many have been sleeping during class while the Chinese are charging ahead at full steam.

With a fertility rate around 1.4 and sinking, the Japanese won't be able to man their factories in the future unless a new level of automation is achieved. Expect more high end products to be sourced from China in the future.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    Cameras as we knew them, precise mechanical instruments, have given way to circuit boards which are conducive to automated processes.
    And that was before digital cameras! Naturally, the first cameras were neither.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vjr View Post
    Leica is mostly made in Germany. One only has to look at the product where it is written ďmade in Germany.Ē Leica has a production facility in Portugal, but that does not mean the majority of the productís value is produced there.

Vivek

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46724727

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Well written. While China is still to a certain degree the home of "cheap labour", it's increasingly becoming the home of high tech and automation, the areas where western countries, Singapore and Japan have traditionally been at the forefront. Unfortunately, many have been sleeping during class while the Chinese are charging ahead at full steam.

With a fertility rate around 1.4 and sinking, the Japanese won't be able to man their factories in the future unless a new level of automation is achieved. Expect more high end products to be sourced from China in the future.
    I would say many high end products (not consumer cameras and such) willoriginate from and not just ďsourcedĒ from China.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46724727

I would say many high end products (not consumer cameras and such) willoriginate from and not just ďsourcedĒ from China.
    You are probably right. While only ten years ago, hardly anybody outside China had heard about Chinese electronics brands, they are now becoming household names like Sony and Samsung, and it's not only Huawei and Xiaomi.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

OT, but never the less interesting....the Chinese landed an unmanned space craft
    On the far side of the moon.

Their moon rover is doing its job there!

Dependable electronics and manufacture? I would not hesitate to take my Chinese made Fujis anywhere on planet earth. If one can take any commercial cam there, the Chinese made cams can go.

Get over it. Enjoy the equipment. Blame it if images donít turn out good
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know who manufactured New Horizonsí Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI), but I dare say that its journey to Ultima Thule was the most arduous journey made by a camera yet .

So we'd better buy cameras manufactured in the USA .
    Ian.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    So we'd better buy cameras manufactured in the USA .
    Least me not mention the little mess up Kodak had with the Hubble optics. But then again, NASA flies Swedish and Japanese cameras...

Post Thanks / Like

Vortex are you talking about the Hasselblad XCD lenses for the X1D? If so those are made in Japan by Nittoh. All of the XCD lenses I've seen say Made in Japan (including the latest 80mm). The Nittoh factory is amazing if one ever gets the chance (rare) for a tour.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    The newer XC Lenses are made in China too, only the body is still made in Sweden! How long, lets wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like

Cultural and political differences aside, the Chinese are certainly becoming a skilled workforce, but I prefer a Japanese camera company use their own skilled workforce. The resale value on certain Japanese products tends to be better too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glennedens View Post
    Vortex are you talking about the Hasselblad XCD lenses for the X1D? If so those are made in Japan by Nittoh. All of the XCD lenses I've seen say Made in Japan (including the latest 80mm). The Nittoh factory is amazing if one ever gets the chance (rare) for a tour.

Glenn
    Hi Glenn,

Please listen carefully at min 7:31 at this video from Steve Huff presenting the new 80 mm f1,9 from Hasselblad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=oZCZAb53-Pc

DJI bought the complete production-line for the XCD lenses from Nittoh last year and they are made in China now.
    Best.

r.

Vivek

What would you do about the EN-EL15a?

Cultural and political differences aside, the Chinese are certainly becoming a skilled workforce, but I prefer a Japanese camera company use their own skilled workforce. The resale value on certain Japanese products tends to be better too.