The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji’s made in China?

jdphoto

I just read that the Fuji Xt3 is made in China! My favorite cameras used to be made in Japan, Germany and Sweden. I guess it’s second gen cameras for me.

vjr

I just read that the Fuji Xt3 is made in China! My favorite cameras used to be made in Japan, Germany and Sweden. I guess it’s second gen cameras for me.
Re. your favourite cameras Japan, Germany, Sweden
Several of Fujifilm cameras are made in China, Leica is mostly made in Portugal, electronics for it made in Japan and that ones famous Swedish camera is still made in Sweden but is owned by Chinese. Nothing wrong with that.

iiiNelson

Yeah it was a cost saving measure but also why the newer version debuted at $200 less than the previous version despite a lot of maturation of the camera in general.

vortex

Several of Fujifilm cameras are made in China, Leica is mostly made in Portugal, electronics for it made in Japan and that ones famous Swedish camera is still made in Sweden but is owned by Chinese. Nothing wrong with that.
The newer XC Lenses are made in China too, only the body is still made in Sweden! How long, lets wait and see.:loco:

algrove

Blanket thread headers can be totally misleading.

My new GFX 50R says "Made in Japan".

23mm "Made in Japan".

45mm "Made in Japan".

32-64mm "Made in Japan".

63mm "Made in Japan".

110mm "Made in Japan"

120mm "Made in Japan"

250mm "Made in Japan".

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Blanket thread headers can be totally misleading.

My new GFX 50R says "Made in Japan".

23mm "Made in Japan".

45mm "Made in Japan".

32-64mm "Made in Japan".

63mm "Made in Japan".

120mm "Made in Japan"

250mm "Made in Japan".

Thanks Lou. So which is your favorite lens so far?
I have all the lenses you listed, except the 63mm, instead I have the 110mm.
All the lenses seem superb, so I have a hard time singling one out.

algrove

Thanks Lou. So which is your favorite lens so far?
I have all the lenses you listed, except the 63mm, instead I have the 110mm.
All the lenses seem superb, so I have a hard time singling one out.
Forgot to add the 110 to the list which is also "Made in Japan".

I like the 23 and from there I do not have enough experience with the others to know. Decided to get the 120 only because of it having OIS, but like the 110 a lot. I guess I was a sale sucker.

k-hawinkler

I like the 23 and from there I do not have enough experience with the others to know. Decided to get the 120 only because of it having OIS, but like the 110 a lot. I guess I was a sale sucker.
Thanks Lou. Yup, I find the GF23 by itself is reason enough to get the 50S or 50R, whatever the case may be. I decided on the 50S as I like the tilting EVF and shoot with my left eye. :thumbs:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

yes:thumbs:

atanabe

Cameras as we knew them, precise mechanical instruments, have given way to circuit boards which are conducive to automated processes. If you look at any of the tear down sites of modern mirrorless cameras, the assembly favors robotic assembly. The Chinese have invested a lot into the precise robotics needed to produce high quality electronics at a reasonable cost. In the assembly of the Apple iPhone, precise measurements of the frame are made and the most suitable glass blank is paired with it. If a human were to do this, hours of time would be required to do the measurements and pairing of the glass and frame. The important process is in QC at the end of assembly to insure that the components are functioning properly.

Both Nikon and Canon copied or "borrowed" from Leica and Zeiss in the 1950's and we're the cheap alternatives to the iconic cameras of the time. In the 1960s the Nikon F was the camera to own, the SLR was born and the rangefinders were yesterdays news. So do not discount what the Chinese can do.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Cameras as we knew them, precise mechanical instruments, have given way to circuit boards which are conducive to automated processes. If you look at any of the tear down sites of modern mirrorless cameras, the assembly favors robotic assembly. The Chinese have invested a lot into the precise robotics needed to produce high quality electronics at a reasonable cost. In the assembly of the Apple iPhone, precise measurements of the frame are made and the most suitable glass blank is paired with it. If a human were to do this, hours of time would be required to do the measurements and pairing of the glass and frame. The important process is in QC at the end of assembly to insure that the components are functioning properly.

Both Nikon and Canon copied or "borrowed" from Leica and Zeiss in the 1950's and we're the cheap alternatives to the iconic cameras of the time. In the 1960s the Nikon F was the camera to own, the SLR was born and the rangefinders were yesterdays news. So do not discount what the Chinese can do.
Well written. While China is still to a certain degree the home of "cheap labour", it's increasingly becoming the home of high tech and automation, the areas where western countries, Singapore and Japan have traditionally been at the forefront. Unfortunately, many have been sleeping during class while the Chinese are charging ahead at full steam.

With a fertility rate around 1.4 and sinking, the Japanese won't be able to man their factories in the future unless a new level of automation is achieved. Expect more high end products to be sourced from China in the future.

Shashin

Cameras as we knew them, precise mechanical instruments, have given way to circuit boards which are conducive to automated processes.
And that was before digital cameras! Naturally, the first cameras were neither.

dj may

Leica is mostly made in Germany. One only has to look at the product where it is written “made in Germany.” Leica has a production facility in Portugal, but that does not mean the majority of the product’s value is produced there.

V

Vivek

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46724727

Well written. While China is still to a certain degree the home of "cheap labour", it's increasingly becoming the home of high tech and automation, the areas where western countries, Singapore and Japan have traditionally been at the forefront. Unfortunately, many have been sleeping during class while the Chinese are charging ahead at full steam.

With a fertility rate around 1.4 and sinking, the Japanese won't be able to man their factories in the future unless a new level of automation is achieved. Expect more high end products to be sourced from China in the future.
I would say many high end products (not consumer cameras and such) willoriginate from and not just “sourced” from China.

rayyan

OT, but never the less interesting....the Chinese landed an unmanned space craft
On the far side of the moon.

Their moon rover is doing its job there!

Dependable electronics and manufacture? I would not hesitate to take my Chinese made Fujis anywhere on planet earth. If one can take any commercial cam there, the Chinese made cams can go.

Get over it. Enjoy the equipment. Blame it if images don’t turn out good:)

Elderly

I don't know who manufactured New Horizons’ Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI), but I dare say that its journey to Ultima Thule was the most arduous journey made by a camera yet :D.

So we'd better buy cameras manufactured in the USA