The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noisy FUJIFILM GF 120mm f/4 Macro R LM OIS WR Lens

Rich

FUJIFILM GF 120mm f/4 Macro R LM OIS WR Lens

Have the above new lens. Seems to have a noisy gyro. Rattling sound like something worn out. Sent first one back. Second one no different.
Others have the same problem? Have had multiple other lenses with image stabilizers and none sounded like this one.

Hope that's normal for this lens?

Rich

mota25

When I tried my coworker's 120mm f4 more than a yr ago, I found it very noisy and I am used to IS lenses making noise. My other Fuji's (XF) didn't make that kind of noise.

MCTuomey

When I tried my coworker's 120mm f4 more than a yr ago, I found it very noisy and I am used to IS lenses making noise. My other Fuji's (XF) didn't make that kind of noise.
All my XF lenses with OIS share the loose, clunking noise until they’re powered up. I don’t worry about it, no long term use issue I can detect. How is the GF 120’s noise different, please?

mota25

All my XF lenses with OIS share the loose, clunking noise until they’re powered up. I don’t worry about it, no long term use issue I can detect. How is the GF 120’s noise different, please?
I never had any noisy behavior with 50-140mm f2.8 IS. The 120mm f4 on other hand makes noises all the time with camera powered on and you not doing anything. It is like something is moving, scratching noise. Loose clunky noise is different, that is floating elements when lens is not powered on. It happens without IS also, for example with 110mm f2 when it is not powered up.

Quentin_Bargate

120mm macro can be noisy. But Fuji seem to have improved the image stabilisation with the 250mm F4, which is much quieter. Both lenses are superb, however.

Etherton

Does this just affect lenses with OIS? I don't have a GF lens yet with it but on the previously owned X lenses (50-140 and 90) I noticed louder than usual noises.