The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Love my 50R

algrove

I made the classic mistake in taking a new 50R to perhaps a once in a lifetime photo opportunity. This was the Annual Photo Shoot at Ely, NV. From many accounts this was a rare occasion because we had plenty of snow and very cold weather, whereas for many years snow has been absent during the photo shoot weekends. Steam in very cold weather just bellows beatuifully into the sky. The two engines featured during this weekend were delivered between 1909 and 1910. Number 93, in the image below, just had its 110th birthday. Number 40 will be 110 years old in 2020.

I used just a few GF lenses-the 23, 32-64 and the 100-200. This image is taken with the 32-64, f8, ISO 400, 1/500th.

Last edited:

algrove

OK, Joe, but I must admit I have not yet put your terrific looking borders to use. This one taken with the 23mm.

algrove

Here's one taken with the new GF100-200/5.6. Stats-ISO100, 1/1000, f5.6 (that was a mistake as I wanted to take it with f8), 183mm. I was amazed at the depth of focus at f5.6.

algrove

Because this last weekend was solely for photographers we would get off the train and then the chief would tell the train to back down the tracks and come by us full steam ahead. And then it would be repeated 2-3 times at each stop. This went on for 2 days after 3 hours of night shooting on Friday night. Every time we got off and on the train the Conductor was there to help and he is a volunteer.

Last edited:

biglouis

Great photographs. Not sure I understand why it was "a classic mistake" to use the 50R. I think these are wonderful images.

LouisB

algrove

Great photographs. Not sure I understand why it was "a classic mistake" to use the 50R. I think these are wonderful images.

LouisB
The "classic mistake" was that I had never used the 50R before going out West for this shoot. That can often create a mine field of mistakes on the users part when the user is not familiar with the camera and its menu.

biglouis

The "classic mistake" was that I had never used the 50R before going out West for this shoot. That can often create a mine field of mistakes on the users part when the user is not familiar with the camera and its menu.
I'll let you into a secret. Most of the time I shoot the 50S with both the iso and speed set to A and my f-stop at f5.6. The lenses are all so sharp, even wide open, and the dynamic range so huge, even if you don't nail exposure that you I normally clear up any issues in post. In effect my 50S is most of the time a great big point and shoot camera. But... oh, my... the image quality :)

So, maybe not a classic mistake to use it without knowing too much about the controls and just let the camera do its thing :D

LouisB

algrove

Yes, I must admit even though a 3-4 year old sensor it's hard to beat. The files are so malleable. Perhaps in the future a 50MP BSI version will come out, but it seems 100MP takes presidence on that feature.