The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Very cold weather shooting Steam Engines with 50R

algrove

I was surprised at the battery life while shooting in under freezing conditions, sometimes 10-20 degrees below freezing. I was getting between 400-450 shots per battery charge. In some cases I was going through a 64GB card with RAW images before the battery needed changing. I made no effort to keep the camera warm, only my replacement batteries were in a pocket of a down jacket which was one or two layers below my outer layer depending on actual temperatures.

While the elevation was between 6800-7200 feet, it was the winter storms that brought in the very cold air.

I used the 32-64mm and 100-200mm lenses handheld most of the time with AF activated (and also OIS on the 100-200) plus constant on activated. Due to heavy snows we had to move indorrs during one evening shoot and there I mainly used the 23mm with AF. In total I took about 3000 exposures with at least 2700 exposures outdoors. Both lenses focused very fast and made the shoot enjoyable from that standpoint. I must mention that I was often shooting many exposures in a short period of say 10-20 seconds even though I shot in Single mode. Sometimes I shot 12-15 images in very rapid succession and never once did I hit the buffer.

The lack of a thicker grip really did not bother me, even though I imagined it might before leaving for this trip. The majority other photographers around me either had Canon or Nikon camera systems and all but two never noticed I had a MF camera including a few pros. File sizes maxed out at just under 120MB under snow conditions. The 100-200 lens performed flawlessly and with its internal focusing it did not seem like a big lens without the hood. Once the hood is attached it just looks long like any other telephoto lens looks like with a long lens hood attached.

If you are interested in seeing images, they have been posted under the thread "Love my 50R". All conversions to B&W were done in C1.

Last edited: