The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dpreview review of 50R

algrove

Look up what's legal in the State now and it might answer your question. As if you already didn't know.

The silver award makes sense to me. It is a really lovely camera, but the AF is only 'acceptable'. Not much Fuji could do since Sony does not or did not make that sensor with PDAF. The video stuff I honestly have no idea about. Though if they say it could be better implemented I believe them.

I don't think their silver award will dissuade anyone considering a GFX50R.

Shashin

Seriously, one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Negative conclusions?

"Fewer controls than the 50S and poor video performance".

What are they on in Seattle?

Just my two cents.

LouisB
DPreview is an Amazon company. It is your usual tech bro culture. And their equivalency mythology is getting a bit silly as well--a useful teaching device to talk about difference in format size, but then to make a jump where f-number and DoF is a dependent variable to sensor size based on "light gathering" is simply false (which, according to them, works for formats smaller than 35mm, but not those bigger). I just go an check cameras using their studio scene and don't put much into their reviews. (They actually stated they will give lower scores to cameras if they don't have in body stabilization because they feel it should be standard.)

DougDolde

Save some money and buy a D850. it's incredible. Keeps amazing me how its better than medium format
of not too many years ago. I had an IQ140 it was good but the Nikon is so easy to carry and shoot no tripod needed, not to mention DR and autofocus. Also had an IQ180 but the Nikon is better except for ultimate resolution, Still 45 megapixels is plenty for even 36x48

biglouis

Save some money and buy a D850. it's incredible. Keeps amazing me how its better than medium format
of not too many years ago. I had an IQ140 it was good but the Nikon is so easy to carry and shoot no tripod needed, not to mention DR and autofocus. Also had an IQ180 but the Nikon is better except for ultimate resolution, Still 45 megapixels is plenty for even 36x48
I'd sooner have a Z7. I ain't ever going back to a camera with an OVF...

algrove

DP's take on the camera does not mirror mine. Sure I laid out the money, but when I make a mistake I admit it and move on.

Video-I could care less and have never used a still camera for video.

It's the files that sing.

As for AF, I have not had issues with it and have shot 20-30 images in very short order on S setting and never hit the buffer.

FF is not MF-own own both and large MF too.

biglouis

Without sounding patronising I think some people both reviewing and buying a MF digital camera lack an understanding of MF because they have never use MF film.

When I was shooting MF film, mostly Hasselblad, I owned 3 lenses, plus a SWC. That's all I needed because of the amazing 'cropability' of the much larger negative. Today, I own the 23mm, 45mm, 32-64mm and 120mm for the 50S. In fact, I could easily do without either the 45mm or the 32-64, I only keep both because they are both excellent lenses and I can't yet decide which one to part with but honestly, I don't need both. In the future, I might trade in the 120mm for 100-200mm. Again, for all practical purposes you wouldn't need both.

Most of my work in film was on a tripod although it was possible to shoot handheld with decent results.

MF is inherently slower in use than smaller formats. Even though the 50R is much more transportable than MF digital has been to date you can't treat it like a D850, imho.

When I read reviews it is quite obvious the reviewer just thinks this is a camera with a bigger sensor. It's not just that. It is a whole different tool for a different way of photographing.

Like Doug says, if you want a do-it-all camera with the same useability as a DSLR then you should really consider a D850, Z7 or 5Dmk-whatever before a digital MF camera, imho.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

PeterA

Without sounding patronising I think some people both reviewing and buying a MF digital camera lack an understanding of MF because they have never use MF film.

When I was shooting MF film, mostly Hasselblad, I owned 3 lenses, plus a SWC. That's all I needed because of the amazing 'cropability' of the much larger negative. Today, I own the 23mm, 45mm, 32-64mm and 120mm for the 50S. In fact, I could easily do without either the 45mm or the 32-64, I only keep both because they are both excellent lenses and I can't yet decide which one to part with but honestly, I don't need both. In the future, I might trade in the 120mm for 100-200mm. Again, for all practical purposes you wouldn't need both.

Most of my work in film was on a tripod although it was possible to shoot handheld with decent results.

MF is inherently slower in use than smaller formats. Even though the 50R is much more transportable than MF digital has been to date you can't treat it like a D850, imho.

When I read reviews it is quite obvious the reviewer just thinks this is a camera with a bigger sensor. It's not just that. It is a whole different tool for a different way of photographing.

Like Doug says, if you want a do-it-all camera with the same useability as a DSLR then you should really consider a D850, Z7 or 5Dmk-whatever before a digital MF camera, imho.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
Good explanation Loius.

I might add (imho)

The 'expert' reviewers are sometimes not so expert- the bias comes out far too much when everything is compared ot 35mm so called full frame...for pop factor ( subject isolation) depth perception/dimensionality ( tonal roll off ) and cropping MF ( is the easiest way to achieve this ) mount sizes allow easier design for higher resolving power at lower cost - the Fuji 23 for example is as good as any Schneider or Rodenstock edge to edge I have ever used at similar exotic widths and the 100/2 is simply amazing. Not normally a MF zoom guy - I cant see the need to replace the 32-64 with primes in this range.

I wouldn't use a MF system for a lot of stuff though - other formats are better and easier - but to get the IQ and resolving power of a fairly inexpensive Fuji GF MF lens in 35mm - requires a significant outlay in cash , preparedness to cope with extra weight and an ability to actually get the most out of the lens -none of which is trivial. There is a reason why people find it difficult to let their Leica M manual focus lenses go.

My 'best' prime lens is the Leica SL50 1.4 - it is also the heaviest prime I own. the Summicron range being brought out by Leica are all 2-3X more expensive than any Fuji MF lens - worth it - yes for that sensor format they are as good as it gets - but I 'get' the same 'look' in mF for a lot less.

tcdeveau

Just my two cents.

LouisB
Or have never used CCD-based digital medium format cameras, or even larger CMOS systems like the Hasselblad H or P1 of today.

The GFX and X1D narrow the performance gap between traditional digital medium format system and 35mm dSLRs/mirrorless but they are not a replacement for such if one needs the performance (AF speed, FPS, etc) of a 35mm system.

I get tired of reading things talking about disappointing AF of systems like the GFX, when to me, the huge deal with AF on the GFX and X1D was that with on-sensor AF digital medium format finally got more than simply center AF points.

k-hawinkler

Good explanation Loius.

I might add (imho)

The 'expert' reviewers are sometimes not so expert- the bias comes out far too much when everything is compared ot 35mm so called full frame...for pop factor ( subject isolation) depth perception/dimensionality ( tonal roll off ) and cropping MF ( is the easiest way to achieve this ) mount sizes allow easier design for higher resolving power at lower cost - the Fuji 23 for example is as good as any Schneider or Rodenstock edge to edge I have ever used at similar exotic widths and the 100/2 is simply amazing. Not normally a MF zoom guy - I cant see the need to replace the 32-64 with primes in this range.

I wouldn't use a MF system for a lot of stuff though - other formats are better and easier - but to get the IQ and resolving power of a fairly inexpensive Fuji GF MF lens in 35mm - requires a significant outlay in cash , preparedness to cope with extra weight and an ability to actually get the most out of the lens -none of which is trivial. There is a reason why people find it difficult to let their Leica M manual focus lenses go.

My 'best' prime lens is the Leica SL50 1.4 - it is also the heaviest prime I own. the Summicron range being brought out by Leica are all 2-3X more expensive than any Fuji MF lens - worth it - yes for that sensor format they are as good as it gets - but I 'get' the same 'look' in mF for a lot less.
Quote:”I wouldn't use a MF system for a lot of stuff though

Question: How will the 100S change that? I hope for me a lot! :thumbup: :LOL:

vjbelle

DP's take on the camera does not mirror mine. Sure I laid out the money, but when I make a mistake I admit it and move on.

Video-I could care less and have never used a still camera for video.

It's the files that sing.

As for AF, I have not had issues with it and have shot 20-30 images in very short order on S setting and never hit the buffer.

FF is not MF-own own both and large MF too.
There was never a doubt in my mind that you would 'Love' the files from that 'Old' sensor!:). You want to upsample to 40 inches?...... piece of cake with AI Giga. Want perfect sharpening?..... another piece of cake with Sharpen AI. Big bonus is that it can be easily used on an Actus so now you have full movements 72mm and up..... and you can use the short rail all the way up to 180mm!! Wide angle with movements is coming soon from numerous places.

The 100s will hit the ball out of the park!!:thumbs:

Victor

PeterA

Quote:”I wouldn't use a MF system for a lot of stuff though

Question: How will the 100S change that? I hope for me a lot! :thumbup: :LOL:
It will be too large for people who like smaller form factor - that will be the heavy criticism from those who insist on comparing oranges to apples. It will have too many MP for those who dont like dealing with large files. It will be not enough MP for those who have 150MP etc etc etc..

For me it could make 35mm totally redundant leaving me with aps for happy snaps and telephoto work and 100S for everything else.

vjbelle

It will be too large for people who like smaller form factor - that will be the heavy criticism from those who insist on comparing oranges to apples. It will have too many MP for those who dont like dealing with large files. It will be not enough MP for those who have 150MP etc etc etc..

For me it could make 35mm totally redundant leaving me with aps for happy snaps and telephoto work and 100S for everything else.
You left out that it will be 'TOO EXPENSIVE'.....:thumbdown: for those who can't afford any of this stuff!:). But.... you sure nailed it for 'aps for snaps and telephoto and 100s for everything else':thumbs:.....even Telephoto:thumbs::thumbs:

Victor

Shashin

Just my two cents.

LouisB
DPreview is a popular photography site. Like most popular photography journalism, it confuses cameras with photography.

bab

DPreview is a popular photography site. Like most popular photography journalism, it confuses cameras with photography.
Who has a comfortable portable MF camera? I don’t own it but it makes sense it’s so inexpensive compared to other offerings. MF is not for speed hence no it does not have lighting fast AF, it’s not for shooting wildlife or sports. It’s for ultimate image quality which is different than the Nikon D850, but you need to know how, why and when to get those results, it does what it’s designed to do. I have looked through the Fuji viewfinder I much prefer it to small tiny holes camera companies call viewfinder windows.
But to some it’s not the right tool for them? Here is how If I invested in the 50R I would set up the system. First I would buy two bodies and four lenses, get a comfortable bag and set them up on strap system allowing quick use on or off tripod.
Not to mention for amature users Fuji OOC jpegs are maybe the best in the business.
For 4500 that’s the deal of our lifetime...if you know how to use it!