The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF 45 vs. GF 32-64 @45

danlindberg

It seems everyone loves the zoom, which of course is great. I wonder if there is a difference between the two for landscapes and tripod shooting? Thinking the 45 @f4 - f5.6 and the GF 32-64 @f4 - f5.6.

Not taking into account weight, bulk, conveniance etc.

vjbelle

I can't speak for the Zoom but the 45mm is absolutely outstanding. Edge to edge, corner to corner sharp. The only other lens I own in that focal length range that is as good or better is my Schneider 60XL.

Victor

PeterA

It seems everyone loves the zoom, which of course is great. I wonder if there is a difference between the two for landscapes and tripod shooting? Thinking the 45 @f4 - f5.6 and the GF 32-64 @f4 - f5.6.

Hi Dan - the 45 is as good as the Hasselbald XID 45 - bth excellent lenses. The Fuji zoom is the best MF zoom I've ever used - good enough for me not to feel the need to buy a 45 or a 63 prime - my kit is 23mm -zoom - 110/2 - all three lenses - stunning.

here is an example of a shot in XPan crop (meaning only half sensor is being used) hand held with the zoom - no problems with sharpness corner to corner @ 32mm/f8.

here is a bigger crop shot at 45mm equivalent..

here is another at 32mm/f5

PS the 23mm is fantastic for 'big' landscapes.

Cheers
Pete

k-hawinkler

Hi Dan - the 45 is as good as the Hasselbald XID 45 - bth excellent lenses. The Fuji zoom is the best MF zoom I've ever used - good enough for me not to feel the need to buy a 45 or a 63 prime - my kit is 23mm -zoom - 110/2 - all three lenses - stunning.

here is an example of a shot in XPan crop (meaning only half sensor is being used) hand held with the zoom - no problems with sharpness corner to corner @ 32mm/f8.

here is a bigger crop shot at 45mm equivalent..

here is another at 32mm/f5

PS the 23mm is fantastic for 'big' landscapes.

Cheers
Pete
Terrific shots Peter.

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-50s/dealing-with-focus-shift-with-native-lenses-on-the-fuji-gfx/ Quote:"

"

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-50s/fuji-45-2-8-focus-shift-and-autofocus-accuracy/

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/fuji-234-af-performance-on-gfx-medium-contrast-target/

My experience of GFX lenses below 65mm.

GF23 - a must have.
GF45 - my walk around lens.
GF32-64 - superb and versatile.

I didn't get the GF63 - external focusing. However some folks love it.

biglouis

I can't speak for the Zoom but the 45mm is absolutely outstanding. Edge to edge, corner to corner sharp. The only other lens I own in that focal length range that is as good or better is my Schneider 60XL.

Victor
I know this is not a direct comparison at 45mm but I own both. In fact the truth is I could probably just use the 32-64 for pretty much everything. But... my, oh my... each time I use the 45mm the colouration and look of the photographs is just drop dead gorgeous (to my eyes, at least).

This is probably the most interesting use of the 45mm last year - shot from the top of the BT Tower in London on a rare occasion it was open to the public (by ballot, only). Shot through glass (of course) and without a tripod. I've linked through to the a very large size of the photo.

In several situations where weight and size have been critical, the GFX50S plus the 45mm is so compact and even - dare I say it - light that it has saved the day.

Like hiking over the top of a high moor in Yorkshire in the snow:

There is no easy answer to the dilemma of which one. If there was I'd only own one!

If I had to choose only one, I would go with the 32-64 because it is more versatile but until I really do need to release the capital tied up in the 45/2.8 I am keeping it (and hoping I never have to sell it to fund my lens lust).

Incidentally, I do own a better lens that 45mm - the 23mm f4 which is just about the best of any lens from Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Voigtlander or others that I have ever owned.

LouisB

algrove

Once you added that my choice it would be the 32-64 as it is so versatile.

danlindberg

Thank you very much for great input from all of you! Much appreciated.

One could safely say that from a quality point of view I can't go wrong with either. Seems like Fuji really have made some excellent performers.

Thanx :thumbup:

rollsman44

How would you say the weight of the 32-64 is Hand held? Thats my Main concern. he weight so I dont get out of focus . Thank you
Also would the 50R be better with the 32-64 zoom as its lighter?

vjbelle

FWIW according to Fuji the most popular lens for the 50R is the 45mm and for the 50S the Zoom.

Victor

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have both and concur that for walkabout use I use the smaller & lighter 45mm vs the zoom. However, for everything else the zoom is my preferred lens in the bag.

When traveling I take the 23, 32-64, 100-200 and TC. If working from the car then I’ll add the 120mm & 250mm. When just walking around, it’s the GFX50s & 45mm.

As mentioned, quality of both the primes and zooms is just outstanding and consistent.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I have both and concur that for walkabout use I use the smaller & lighter 45mm vs the zoom. However, for everything else the zoom is my preferred lens in the bag.When traveling I take the 23, 32-64, 100-200 and TC. If working from the car then I’ll add the 120mm & 240mm. When just walking around, it’s the GFX50s & 45mm.As mentioned, quality of both the primes and zooms is just outstanding and consistent.
What Graham said. If I have to travel light then I take the 32-64 and the 100-200 with TC otherwise I take everything to include the kitchen sink. The 45 is used mainly when I shoot dark skies otherwise I use the 32-64. I had a 63 for a nano second thinking I needed it for the speed but it turns out the 45 is better suited for my needs. I'll begin leaving the 120 with macro tubes home as the 100-200 fills that reach. The 45 is a great lens to have however the 32-64 is better

algrove

Agree with Graham and Don.

I have just about narrowed my travel kit to 23, 32-64 and 100-200 +1.4 with my 50R even though I bought every lens available so far.

For street I still like my M-10s, but now the Q2 might often suffice to the delight of my wife.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For street I still like my M-10s, but now the Q2 might often suffice to the delight of my wife.
:OT:

My street / smaller travel camera is the M10. However, I’ve got serious camera lust over the new Q2. It does look to be a worthy alternative to my travel kit of M10 & 35/1.4 & 90/2.8. :thumbup:

algrove

:OT:

My street / smaller travel camera is the M10. However, I’ve got serious camera lust over the new Q2. It does look to be a worthy alternative to my travel kit of M10 & 35/1.4 & 90/2.8. :thumbup:
Had my Q2 from day one and feels just like the Q1, but with better EVF and way more MP to crop with. Have not yet used it on the street, but if it performs like the Q1 then I am a happy camper and like you just might be using the M10's less. The 35mm crop is useful, but for 50 and out to 90 I will be using my APO50 and 90/2.8 Elmarit-M. The Q2 new 75 crop files are just too small for my liking. At this point I am thinking that any Q2 file which is less than an M10 file I will not use.

I was in Venice January/February this year with a snall group shooting the colorful city in only B&W where my project was "Essential Venetian Street Life". A huge number of the shots were taken at f1.7 as I was out shooting way before sunrise where even in the dark AF worked just fine as long as I had some contrast to work with in the image. Glad I never bought the 28/1.4 M lens.

If the Q2 is better in foul weather all the better, but the Q1 worked flawlessly in sometimes heavy all-day rain without missing a beat. Sure I kept it under an umbrella as much as I could, but that helps just so much when shooting images handheld.

Sorry for changing the subject here.