The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stumped with GFXs Focus Bracketing

rga

Hi All,
I am totally stumped with the GFXs focus bracketing function (primarily for landscape).
  1. If I setup with 15 frames, step 1 and 1-3 seconds between frames, I end up getting focused between near to 1/2 way to infinity (f/11-18).
  2. If I setup for 15-25 frames, step of 9, time between exposures 2 seconds, I get four shots: infinity still not in focus.
  3. Basically no matter how I set it up, it doesn't work.
  4. WTF is a "step"?
Thanks for ANY help you can provide. I do have the most recent firmware and this occurs on the Fuji 35-64 and the 24 lenses.
Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Im assuming 23 &n32-64mm lenses?

I find it pretty simple - AF to the nearest point and trigger shooting in bracket AF.

The following values can be used as a general guide for getting started.

• Landscape frames 20 / step 10 / interval 0
  • Macro frames 100 / step 5 / interval 5
  • Low Light frames 20 / step 5 / interval 10

Works like a charm for me. In fact for 23 / wide end of 32-64 it’ll stop before the # frames for landscape.

See this:
https://fujifilmxgfx.com/gfx-techniques/advanced-technique-focus-bracketing-with-fujifilm-cameras/

vjbelle

Hi Lou........ not speaking for Graham but I use Helicon and Zerene Stacker with the edge going to Zerene - both are superior to PS. I never use PS.

Victor

rga

Im assuming 23 &n32-64mm lenses?

I find it pretty simple - AF to the nearest point and trigger shooting in bracket AF.

The following values can be used as a general guide for getting started.

• Landscape frames 20 / step 10 / interval 0
  • Macro frames 100 / step 5 / interval 5
  • Low Light frames 20 / step 5 / interval 10

Works like a charm for me. In fact for 23 / wide end of 32-64 it’ll stop before the # frames for landscape.

See this:
https://fujifilmxgfx.com/gfx-techniques/advanced-technique-focus-bracketing-with-fujifilm-cameras/
Thanks Graham. Those are the two lenses I used. After reading the above link about 20 times, I'm still a bit confused...
You use a step of 10 for landscapes. doesn't that mean the the focus changes by 500 times the near/far limit calculated by the camera? That just seems that a lot of focus area is lost? 500X seems a lot to change focus by, especially at the near end.

Guess I'll be like bacon stuck to a pig when our paths next cross. :)