The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Mirrorless Endgame ...

Tim

but then the really important question (to deadly people, like me) will be, when will the minor used GFX50S & R's drop to under half price, then...:toocool:
but then the lenses will stay attracted at high level :cry:
Keep that thought and the hopes up. We can always go an adapter and some lower cost MF or other lens.
I see some 35mm lenses still manage the image circle ok.

Knorp

Impressive machine, but I'm very happy that I don't need one. And while the X-T3, the X-H1 and the X-Pro2 are really beautiful cameras, this one looks like somthing designed during the Soviet Union brutalist era. The welders at our workshop would have made something like this.

Oh well... for now, it's the bst camera ever, no doubt about that. It's a Fuji :thumbup:
It certainly isn't a 'looker', but that's not what matters, right ?
It's the ergonomics that puzzles me. Still I like its 'simple uncluttered' design.
Admittedly, the E-M1X seems sexier ... :rolleyes:
But hey, isn't that GFX100 a real machine ?

61121930_10220023765251075_6491792546203697152_n.jpg

JaapD

It is indeed not a ‘looker’, by far the ugliest sister in the family. I thought the top and bottom section had prototype status but it seems that they’ve put it into production like that. The button position, especially during vertical use, is not that great either. They should have looked outside their company borders, to Olympus as in my opinion Olympus did everything right with the E-M1X in this regard.

Apart from this, what a technological marvel and such a great achievement by Fuji, well done! :thumbs:

Regards,
Jaap.

Thorkil

Keep that thought and the hopes up. We can always go an adapter and some lower cost MF or other lens.
I see some 35mm lenses still manage the image circle ok.
:thumbup: Yes, but I would only "need" a 23mm lens, to replace my SWC, and I would be happy for ever (the dreams are always the sweetest thing, and when the new camera arrives, it just in a peculiar way, just and only take pictures like all the others (and suddenly we are back in reality, no witchcraft, no lifesaver - when do we ever learn?...)
Apart from that the 100 is just such a huge brick, certainly not a walk-around-camera, and I doubt that the fine pictures we see from the GFX50 here and there will be better by the 100, perhaps at a wallpaper at 3 meters length (9 feet 10 inch) - yes I know I'm just a sour old man...:lecture:
And sometimes I just wonder, should I just have stayed satisfied by my Nikon Df and X-T3?, while they certainly are more than good enough (but still the Z7 is the perfect walk-around-camera, perfect to use out there, perfect to use under hasty circumstances, perfect in the communication with my brain that dont need further investigations every time a picture has to be taken, but..less might have done it too, the X-T3 & the Df..perhaps)(but a SWC-replacement?...hhmmm:grin:)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Impressive machine, but I'm very happy that I don't need one. And while the X-T3, the X-H1 and the X-Pro2 are really beautiful cameras, this one looks like somthing designed during the Soviet Union brutalist era. The welders at our workshop would have made something like this.

Oh well... for now, it's the bst camera ever, no doubt about that. It's a Fuji :thumbup:
Indeed I am also very happy that I don't need one! And indeed it is not a sexy camera at all!

In times where I cannot make up my mind if I would add 24MP or 47MP FF mirrorless to my arsenal, anything above 50MP is just total overkill for me, no matter how great the package is.

And finally this helps me save a lot of thought process and of course also money :cool:

PeterA

It certainly isn't a 'looker', but that's not what matters, right ?
It's the ergonomics that puzzles me. Still I like its 'simple uncluttered' design.
Admittedly, the E-M1X seems sexier ... :rolleyes:
But hey, isn't that GFX100 a real machine ?

View attachment 141719
I think the bottom handgrip battery compartment and top should have been made in same fashion as body of the camera - the only thing that I don't like about the package - but it wont stop me ( there will be a leather cover made for the camera for sure) - this is the camera I've been waiting for - for many years - ever since this one -:)

Knorp

I think the bottom handgrip battery compartment and top should have been made in same fashion as body of the camera - the only thing that I don't like about the package - but it wont stop me ( there will be a leather cover made for the camera for sure) - this is the camera I've been waiting for - for many years.
That's the spirit - you'll be our Australian Cavia Porcellus ... :salute:

iiiNelson

So I’ve been absorbing information on the camera and overall I’m impressed. I’m not sure how I feel about the “digital dials” yet as I’m very much a manual
mode shooter but I’m willing to give it a chance before final judgment. Like many I wish they would’ve added a more ergonomic grip to the vertical orientation (even at the expense of size) but that’s a “small gripe as well I suppose. The lens lineup available now is excellent and I could do a lot with just the 32-64, 110, and 250 (or 100-200) alone.

I dont know that I’d buy one at $10K anytime soon but it does make me more open to the 50S actually... especially if Fuji cuts the price on them again to the $4-5k range to move their remaining stock of bodies. That’ll place it directly in competition more aggressively with the high-res FF cameras. As I said in the Sony thread, I’m holding tight on any camera purchases until I see more in the way of a roadmap from Panasonic and until I see what Sony will announce this year. I prefer to stay with Sony as it’s the less expensive option for me but I’m not against switching systems (if need be) if something is going to work better for me either.

They obviously spent the money on technology, and skimped on the design. It is very utilitarian. Ugly actually. Not that it matters.

Stuart Richardson

I will not comment on the design until I try it. I think both the Mamiya 7II and Leica S are somewhat ungainly, but they both feel amazing in the hand when you are working with them. On the other hand, I think the Leica T looked great, but it was not the greatest to handle because of the lack of real buttons and slowness of the touch screen.

Anyway, I find the camera hugely impressive. I knew that it would be good for stills, but the surprise is that they seem to have made it into a capable video camera as well, not just "theoritically", but actually good. The samples at Cinema5D are quite good for pre-production. I look forward to trying the camera one day soon.

iiiNelson

I will not comment on the design until I try it. I think both the Mamiya 7II and Leica S are somewhat ungainly, but they both feel amazing in the hand when you are working with them. On the other hand, I think the Leica T looked great, but it was not the greatest to handle because of the lack of real buttons and slowness of the touch screen.

Anyway, I find the camera hugely impressive. I knew that it would be good for stills, but the surprise is that they seem to have made it into a capable video camera as well, not just "theoritically", but actually good. The samples at Cinema5D are quite good for pre-production. I look forward to trying the camera one day soon.
I agree. I don’t find the camera to be all that “ugly” but I also care more about the function before the form. If the function doesn’t work for me then there’s nothing else for me to discuss with any camera.

algrove

I prefer to stay with Sony as it’s the less expensive option for me but I’m not against switching systems (if need be) if something is going to work better for me either.
I now wonder versus the 50R if the Sony FF system is in fact less expensive than the MF Fuji system considering their lenses are priced on par with Sony lens prices even while being very good modern MF lenses. I realize it's the body aspects that make the Fujis more expensive except maybe for the A9.

Last edited:

Shashin

...And sometimes I just wonder, should I just have stayed satisfied by my Nikon Df and X-T3?...
Kind of where I am. I am not seeing a reason to dump my Pentax 645D and Fuji X Pro2/XF10 cameras. They kind of do it all. The only GAS I am getting is due to my dietary habits, rather than my gear.

I am finding Fuji medium-format cameras a great development (the GFX 50R with the upcoming 50mm prime is teasing me with its appeal, but not sure it will be enough). It is certainly good for photographers. Having printed my work on 42" printers, I just not motivated to change. If they release a medium-format version of the X Pro2, that might be hard to resists though...

iiiNelson

I now wonder versus the 50R if the Sony FF system is in fact less expensive than the MF Fuji system considering their lenses are priced on par with Sony lens prices even while being very good modern MF lenses. I realize it's the body aspects that make the Fujis more expensive except maybe for the A9.
Well for me I would never buy the 50R.

The 50S or 100 would be the bodies that interest me personally. In any case Sony would be cheaper because I already own most of the lenses I need.

PeterA

Meh - I just look at the 100MP as a no brainer for my shooting requirements - it really is no larger/heavier than Leica S or Canon 1D series or Leica SL - but delivers massive cropability and hand holding ease of use to utilise its resolving power via IBIS and the excellent Fuji MF glass - the quality of glass at the Fuji price points is what was the game changer for me - the camera tech in this new body was an unexpected (and massive) bonus. To pu tthings in perspective - I can trade my S body + Noctilux and 90-280SL and pick up this body with a 250 to complete my Fuji MF kit - that is before ditching M10 6 lenses and the SL with a couple more..I want less stuff...sick of 'stuff' hanging around my neck like an albatross - got to the stage when I stopped shooting because I couldn't decide what camera/lens to take on a walk - absolutely ridiculous!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Meh - I just look at the 100MP as a no brainer for my shooting requirements - it really is no larger/heavier than Leica S or Canon 1D series or Leica SL - but delivers massive cropability and hand holding ease of use to utilise its resolving power via IBIS and the excellent Fuji MF glass - the quality of glass at the Fuji price points is what was the game changer for me - the camera tech in this new body was an unexpected (and massive) bonus. To pu tthings in perspective - I can trade my S body + Noctilux and 90-280SL and pick up this body with a 250 to complete my Fuji MF kit - that is before ditching M10 6 lenses and the SL with a couple more..I want less stuff...sick of 'stuff' hanging around my neck like an albatross - got to the stage when I stopped shooting because I couldn't decide what camera/lens to take on a walk - absolutely ridiculous!

If I would need it professionally I would anytime choose the GFX100 over any Leica S - simply the better camera and better system with more potential for future evolution for a much better price!

biglouis

:thumbup: Yes, but I would only "need" a 23mm lens, to replace my SWC, and I would be happy for ever (the dreams are always the sweetest thing, and when the new camera arrives, it just in a peculiar way, just and only take pictures like all the others (and suddenly we are back in reality, no witchcraft, no lifesaver - when do we ever learn?...)
Apart from that the 100 is just such a huge brick, certainly not a walk-around-camera, and I doubt that the fine pictures we see from the GFX50 here and there will be better by the 100, perhaps at a wallpaper at 3 meters length (9 feet 10 inch) - yes I know I'm just a sour old man...:lecture:
And sometimes I just wonder, should I just have stayed satisfied by my Nikon Df and X-T3?, while they certainly are more than good enough (but still the Z7 is the perfect walk-around-camera, perfect to use out there, perfect to use under hasty circumstances, perfect in the communication with my brain that dont need further investigations every time a picture has to be taken, but..less might have done it too, the X-T3 & the Df..perhaps)(but a SWC-replacement?...hhmmm:grin:)
A slight deviation from the thread but Thorkil's comment struck a chord with me.

I empathise with the need for a SWC replacement. I've only found two cameras which come close to satisfying that requirement.

Firstly, the Sigma DP0Q which when set to 1:1 mode gave me the feel of working with the SWC again. You can see some of the files in the 'Other Cameras' thread.

Secondly, the GFX50S with the superb Fujinon 23mm - again with the viewfinder mask set to 1:1. Because of the boxy shape of the body and the way the viewfinder sits on top of it, the actual feel of the camera, let alone the IQ is very reminiscent of holding a SWC.

Ultimately, there is no replacement for the SWC but sadly digital has way eclipsed the abilities of the camera, if not the exact look with different film emulsions.

My fantasy purchase if I won the lottery would be a pristine SWC930 with a Hasselblad 50mpx back. I know I'd lose the full ability of the wide angle fov but from the samples I've seen of people who own this combination it is absolutely fantastic.

LouisB

fotografz

If I would need it professionally I would anytime choose the GFX100 over any Leica S - simply the better camera and better system with more potential for future evolution for a much better price!
All true ... unless you already have a Leica S system that meets your professional requirements.

I stuck with a S(006) specifically because I still prefer the CCD sensor, (and mine was recently replaced for free). I have five CS leaf-shutter lenses, and the S-100/2. I added a AC adapter for studio work, which assures me that if they ever stop making the S(006) battery (like Kodak did with their back) I can shoot on.

Price is relative. Not having to buy is the least expensive alternative.

Walk-around is also relative. Small mirrorless seems suited to that.

IF I had the disposable cash, an assistant to carry it, and a fair amount of purpose justifying it, I'd get one of these in a NY heart-beat. :)

algrove

big louis
I used an SWC with P45+ for many years and as you say there is something special about that camera.