The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X-H2

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I know this camera is still out a bit (end 2019 or begin 2020) butter many people (including me) would really love to get this camera. Basically a X-T3 in X-H1 body with of course all the improvements the X-T3 brings paired with IBIS and that larger and (for me) such better to hold body.

I have tried the X-H1 several times and it fitted my hands like a glove - without any grip. And many folks choose still the X-H1 over the X-T3 because they prefer the ergonomics, handling and IBIS. Some videos attached

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2PRGeM85ys&t=69s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJvvkxK5m9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hML8XsO5BU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RB03W_1X2A&t=358s

Mark C

I'm happy with my X-H1 although I will certainly look at what is offered by an upgrade to the X-H2 when that camera comes out. I'm a lot more interested to see what the new XF 33mm f1 can do when it comes out, hopefully Fuji will price it fairly.

iiiNelson

I know this camera is still out a bit (end 2019 or begin 2020) butter many people (including me) would really love to get this camera. Basically a X-T3 in X-H1 body with of course all the improvements the X-T3 brings paired with IBIS and that larger and (for me) such better to hold body.

I have tried the X-H1 several times and it fitted my hands like a glove - without any grip. And many folks choose still the X-H1 over the X-T3 because they prefer the ergonomics, handling and IBIS. Some videos attached

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2PRGeM85ys&t=69s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJvvkxK5m9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hML8XsO5BU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RB03W_1X2A&t=358s
I think a lot of people complained about the XH1 (unfortunately) because I agree that the body ergonomics are nearly “perfect” for what I’d want in an everyday camera. I believe it would’ve been more commercially successful if the internals were identical to the XT3 (with IBIS). Seems like a bit of a commercial miss for their “halo” product in APS-C but perhaps they’ll get it right with the next one. I look forward to this camera and I’m seriously am considering adding a GFX with the Sony as my workhorse for actual photography jobs. I still like the idea of the Panasonic but until I can get around to testing one long term I’m gonna hold off on any purchases.

biglouis

I've been a naughty boy and just bought a new X-H1 at a knock down price. They even included the battery grip, which I didn't really want but in fact is a very nice one - I think better than my X-T3 battery grip.

What a fantastic camera. Handling is superb. IQ is very good - too early to say if it is excellent but I suspect so. It could do with a few more function buttons but so far that is my only gripe.

For some reason I can't fathom I find using the battery grip shutter button in portrait mode is far more easy than on the X-T3 (where I always snake my hand round to the camera shutter button).

Viewfinder, screen etc are excellent.

I'll use the X-T3 for wildlife but for all my architectural/urban photography I'll be using the X-H1.

This is a much overlooked camera and if you can find it at a know down price like I did, I'd definitely recommend it as a second/alternative body.

Just my two cents (I'll post some pics in the fun with X thread when I have them).

LouisB

iiiNelson

I've been a naughty boy and just bought a new X-H1 at a knock down price. They even included the battery grip, which I didn't really want but in fact is a very nice one - I think better than my X-T3 battery grip.

What a fantastic camera. Handling is superb. IQ is very good - too early to say if it is excellent but I suspect so. It could do with a few more function buttons but so far that is my only gripe.

For some reason I can't fathom I find using the battery grip shutter button in portrait mode is far more easy than on the X-T3 (where I always snake my hand round to the camera shutter button).

Viewfinder, screen etc are excellent.

I'll use the X-T3 for wildlife but for all my architectural/urban photography I'll be using the X-H1.

This is a much overlooked camera and if you can find it at a know down price like I did, I'd definitely recommend it as a second/alternative body.

Just my two cents (I'll post some pics in the fun with X thread when I have them).

LouisB
Yeah I’m a huge fan of the XH1 ergonomics as it’s arguably the most comfortable smaller mirrorless camera I’ve held. It almost made me switch to Fuji... I just had a few concerns regarding the reliability of it at the time.

Hopefully they’ve worked them out but if it would’ve come out with the internals of the XT3 + IBIS (with more reliability) I would’ve really been all over it. The AF system of the XT3 is significantly better given the AF coverage of nearly 100% of the sensor.

Congrats on your camera. They’ve cut the price stateside to where they can be had for about $1200 give or take with the grip, a card, and extra batteries. Outstanding deal IMO and it’s one of the cameras I’m considering for the wife on her birthday as she wants a camera (assuming Sony doesn’t come out with a pro style APS-C body + lenses soon).

biglouis

Yeah I’m a huge fan of the XH1 ergonomics as it’s arguably the most comfortable smaller mirrorless camera I’ve held. It almost made me switch to Fuji... I just had a few concerns regarding the reliability of it at the time.

Hopefully they’ve worked them out but if it would’ve come out with the internals of the XT3 + IBIS (with more reliability) I would’ve really been all over it. The AF system of the XT3 is significantly better given the AF coverage of nearly 100% of the sensor.

Congrats on your camera. They’ve cut the price stateside to where they can be had for about $1200 give or take with the grip, a card, and extra batteries. Outstanding deal IMO and it’s one of the cameras I’m considering for the wife on her birthday as she wants a camera (assuming Sony doesn’t come out with a pro style APS-C body + lenses soon).
By registering the camera with Fuji here in the UK I also get two years warranty versus the normal 12 months, so I feel covered as far as reliability goes. I'm a little shocked as to how good this camera is and why it is not so much more valued. But like all electronics, time will tell.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's the best Fuji camera, and I hate myself for not buying one of the nearly new, bargain priced ones from those panic buying the X-T3 last year. A colleague of mine did, and it's such a sweet camera.

PeterA

I suspect lot of people are waiting for the next iteration - with all the XT-3 'goodies' as well as IBIS - lie a lot of people are waiting for the next iteration of the XPro system. Fuji has an embarrassment of riches as far as APC choices go.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I suspect lot of people are waiting for the next iteration - with all the XT-3 'goodies' as well as IBIS - lie a lot of people are waiting for the next iteration of the XPro system. Fuji has an embarrassment of riches as far as APC choices go.
Correct, me too. A great (and reasonably priced) X-H2 is one of the few cameras that could lure me away from MFT.

iiiNelson

It's the best Fuji camera, and I hate myself for not buying one of the nearly new, bargain priced ones from those panic buying the X-T3 last year. A colleague of mine did, and it's such a sweet camera.
I also think the XH1 was greatly overshadowed by the value that is the A7III... the fact that at launch they were only priced $100 apart didn’t help in ANY way for those not tied to any Mirrorless system. I talked to many Fuji users that shifted to Sony because they didn’t want to wait on the XT3 and more than a few had reliability issues with early XH1’s. I don’t know that it was right or wrong and I think both systems are excellent. I took the time to talk to many Fuji owners (including a family member) while doing research. Most loved their Fuji but the weaker points were the AF coverage of the XT2/XH1 (at about 50% coverage of the sensor) and lack of 3rd party support since Fuji has a mostly closed system.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Correct, me too. A great (and reasonably priced) X-H2 is one of the few cameras that could lure me away from MFT.
I find the IQ of APS-C and MFT to be not all that dissimilar. Both are excellent but the PDAF of Fuji X is more versatile for more types of shooting... especially in continuous AF.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For me the X-H1 remains the culmination of functionality, operability and overall value in the non-FF area of cameras. Tops easily all m43 cameras I know. And the X-H2 when being the X-T3 on steroids will again be the best FF camera one can get.

Unfortunately I moved out of the Fuji X-system 2 years ago to fully go m43 with Olympus. I am ok with that decision but still I think I would have loved the X-system more. The X-H2 could be the camera that could make me finally switch back to Fuji again, if I do not decide to stay with m43 and add a FF system as a second system, which also makes lot of sense. I will test drive the Nikon Z again in a few weeks .....

PeterA

Well guys just as an aside - I've just sold $60K worth of Leica gear - and after over a year of testing - will become 100% Fuji shooter - for now XT3 in apc and soon will add the big boy 100MP and swap out of GFX50S. Unfortunately down here in Australia I will have to wait a few months - because the waiting lists and already fully paid for GFX100 prior to delivery are very long - Fuji is saying they can not make enough to meet pre-order demand - world wide.:bugeyes:

biglouis

Thanks for the comments. An interesting read.

I bought the X-H1because compared to the cost of the lenses I was adding to my existing X-T3-based system, it was a bit like - ok, in for a penny, in for a pound, as the price of the body was so relatively cheap.

I've added the 8-16/2.8, 16-55/2.8 and 80/2.8 macro. All three are stellar lenses. The 8-16 being the best UWA I've used since my dearly departed Olympus PRO 7-14. With the exception of the 80 macro the other lenses do not have OIS - so my thinking is to use them on the X-H1 and so far the test shots have shown the IBIS does a good job at low shutter speeds (e.g. 1/15-1/30). Very useful for interiors when I can't use a tripod and for that reason the X-H1 is more likely to be used by me for that kind of work than the X-T3.

The best camera body in terms of functionality (not IQ) I owned was definitely the Panasonic G9. The X-H1 is easily as good but for a few extra function buttons. In terms of handling, it is as good as the G9. In terms of IQ of the image quality is in my opinion slightly superior at the 100% pixel peeping level. For wildlife, though, the X-T3 compared to the G9 is streets ahead in IQ and AF.

I'd say Fuji glass is as good as the best Panasonic/Leica glass and Olympus glass. The 80 macro is eyewateringly sharp as is the 8-16 stopped down. The 16-55 is as good as the Panasonic Vario 12-35/2.8 which I always rated as excellent (almost like shooting with a prime).

After only using the X-H1 for a couple of days I can understand why people want the X-H2. The X-H1 body is in all ways a superior body to the X-T3. The grip is better, the shutter is so quiet it outshines a Leica and I prefer a top plate display (I have the G9 to thank for changing my views on that). I like the X-T3 but I want to pick up the X-H1 and use it (rather than have to pick up the X-T3).
I think Fuji shooters are missing an opportunity if they don't have an X-H1 as a second/alternative body (if they can afford to do so). If Fuji put the 26mpx BSI sensor of the X-T3 with its superior AF system into an X-H1 body it would be a 'pro-alternative' to any FF system on the market.

Incidentally, the salesman in the shop did try to interest me in the A7III as an alternative. I had such a bad experience with Sony lenses when I owned the A7/A7R/A7S that I may be missing an opportunity but I wouldn't consider going back to Sony. I'd be more likely to go back to m43rds if Panasonic ever come to their senses and dump the DFD autofocus system.

Anyway, off to a nature reserve today to shoot some birdies - in this instance I'll take the X-T3 and 100-400+TC, as for all its ergonomic benefits I appreciate that as far as AF goes the X-T3 has the edge on the X-H1.

Thanks for reading my musings!

LouisB

Sapphie

Hi Louis

I have tried 3 (yes,3) XH-1s and they all had the same issue - intermittent severe front-focusing when using AF-S mode. This is worse for wider lenses and at smaller apertures, e.f f8.

AF-M with the AF-ON button doesn't seem to have this issue and works very well.

My first 2 bodies were UK refurbished ones and I gave up at that point and bought an XT-3. On a whim, I tried a new XH-1 again this week, only to find that it suffers from the same issue. It's not the lens as it does it on most, including my 16-55, 18, 23 f2 and 35f1.4.

It's intermittent and you can see what's happening by enabling the AF distance scale. E.g. you are focusing on a static subject 20 feet away and it will focus Ok a few times, then suddenly it will choose a focus distance at 7 feet or similar. If you take the shot it will be way blurred because of this.

AF-M and AF-ON focuses with the aperture wide open, AF-S stops down as it focuses so I wonder if there is some issue related to this.

I hope your XH-1 is fine but you may like to try this out.

Lee

iiiNelson

Hi Louis

I have tried 3 (yes,3) XH-1s and they all had the same issue - intermittent severe front-focusing when using AF-S mode. This is worse for wider lenses and at smaller apertures, e.f f8.

AF-M with the AF-ON button doesn't seem to have this issue and works very well.

My first 2 bodies were UK refurbished ones and I gave up at that point and bought an XT-3. On a whim, I tried a new XH-1 again this week, only to find that it suffers from the same issue. It's not the lens as it does it on most, including my 16-55, 18, 23 f2 and 35f1.4.

It's intermittent and you can see what's happening by enabling the AF distance scale. E.g. you are focusing on a static subject 20 feet away and it will focus Ok a few times, then suddenly it will choose a focus distance at 7 feet or similar. If you take the shot it will be way blurred because of this.

AF-M and AF-ON focuses with the aperture wide open, AF-S stops down as it focuses so I wonder if there is some issue related to this.

I hope your XH-1 is fine but you may like to try this out.

Lee
Yeah some of the other issues were with the shutter going out prematurely as early as 1500 actuations and in many cases around 6-7,000 actuations. Fuji replaces it of course but it is annoying. There were many instances of the camera just bricking too on its own. I actually experienced this for myself when testing in store with an otherwise brand new body and this is specifically why I held off on Fuji. There were just too many issues being reported around the world on this camera at or near launch to make me comfortable with investing into Fuji... and yes I know everyone can have issues but I didn’t want another unreliable “Leica” experience which major components failing early. I can accept the occasional poor quality lens that I could return if need be but I haven’t had to myself on Sony yet. Maybe I’m lucky so far.

biglouis

Lee and Nelson, worrying! I'll have to try it out.

I'll return the camera if that is the case and think again.

LouisB

iiiNelson

Lee and Nelson, worrying! I'll have to try it out.

I'll return the camera if that is the case and think again.

LouisB
Probably don’t need to worry. Those were early models and I hadn’t heard of many bodies going through the same issues. It was enough to scare me as I’ve said but it’s unlikely that it’s an issue still with newer production bodies.

Sapphie

Probably don’t need to worry. Those were early models and I hadn’t heard of many bodies going through the same issues. It was enough to scare me as I’ve said but it’s unlikely that it’s an issue still with newer production bodies.
My most recent body bought from Amazon UK seems to have a serial number (under the tilt screen) beginning with '2017'.

LOL?

Lee

biglouis

Mine has a serial number starting with 98, so I'm really worried :cool:

I was a Leica shooter for some time so I know all about front focusing :D

Here are some example which I think show no evidence of front focusing.

The first was taken with the 8-16/2.8 which so far has completely exceeded my expectations. Just goes to show you shouldn't read/watch reviews. Even though I was clearly taking a photograph this young lady decided she had to stand right in front of my lens so I moved the focus point and snapped her, instead. 8mm iso200 f8 1/80

This is a 100% crop. Looks sharp to me and no sign of front focusing. Shot at f8 which is my usual working aperture (that or f5.6).

I also bought the 80/2.8 to take architectural detail shots (and also because I like macro lenses). This is one of the war memorials (there are several) in Victoria station. 80mm iso200 f8 1/60

This is a 100% crop, again if there is front focusing it is not showing up with the lens stopped down (f8)

Front focusing is most evident when the lens is wide open, as you know. Even so, with a maximum aperture of f2.8 on these lenses (I also have the 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4, 18-55/2.8-4 and the 55-200/3.5-4.8) it may not manifest itself. If I ever get something like the 16/1.4 or 23/1.4 (more likely) then I might notice it wide open.

LouisB