The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

Knorp

Focus seems on STOP sign. It is sharp IMHO.
Got to agree with you on the first remark, K-H. Hopefully Rich has an explanation to it.
However, if you really think it's sharp either I need new glasses or a new monitor ... :banghead:

Brgds.

k-hawinkler

Got to agree with you on the first remark, K-H. Hopefully Rich has an explanation to it.
However, if you really think it's sharp either I need new glasses or a new monitor ... :banghead:

Brgds.
Well Bart, I would trust your eyes more than mine. :grin:

Rich

I agree, it doesn't look sharp on my screen either on the shot in the forum. On my computer, a 27" iMac it appears very sharp to me before I reduced size. For whatever reason it seems more than 100% on the forum shot. Not sure what I did. Haven't posted a photo here before.
Just checked my info and the posted shot is only 671Kb which probably explains the less than sharp appearance.
What is the largest file that I can post on here?
The original file is 38.8" X 29.1". In PSD it's 288 Mb. Was shot at F5.6, 1/80 sec, ISO 100

Rich

Knorp

Hi Rich,

it’s possible you overshot it and instead of 100% the final crop is beyond that at let’s say 150% or so. That could certainly explain the softness.
As for file size I’d say 288 Mb is overkill :)rolleyes:), but 671 Kb should be about perfect.
Try to keep the size to 1600x1200 pixels.

Krgds.

andreleon

Hi Rich,

it’s possible you overshot it and instead of 100% the final crop is beyond that at let’s say 150% or so. That could certainly explain the softness.
As for file size I’d say 288 Mb is overkill :)rolleyes:), but 671 Kb should be about perfect.
Try to keep the size to 1600x1200 pixels.

Krgds.
@ 5,6 ,1/80 you should be on focus even @ 100%crop .

Knorp

@ 5,6 ,1/80 you should be on focus even @ 100%crop .
especially with the IOS
I meant IBIS . sorry
Of course you can be 'on focus' with IBIS or IOS, but if your camera's AF in some way fails (or your eye-sight for that matter), it could still end-up in an out-of-focus 'soft' image.
But whatever, I'm hoping we're dealing here with an user-error (sorry, Rich) and not a camera-error.

Krgds.

andreleon

Of course you can be 'on focus' with IBIS or IOS, but if your camera's AF in some way fails (or your eye-sight for that matter), it could still end-up in an out-of-focus 'soft' image.
But whatever, I'm hoping we're dealing here with an user-error (sorry, Rich) and not a camera-error.

Krgds.
Tout à fait !

Rich

No offense taken. I'm quite certain it's a posting error since the photo on my screen before posting is about half the size as it shows on the screen after posting. Haven't figured out how to correct this.

Rich

No offense taken. I'm quite sure its user error. The photo on my screen before posting is about half the size of the one on the post. Not sure how to fix that.

k-hawinkler

Hi there André,

Sorry, but I'm too poor(ish) to afford me a GFX100 .. . :scry: We'll have to wait for Rich to give us some detailed information.
But this image reminds me of a post from Victor (vjbelle) in the MF forum: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...ital-backs/66488-gfx-100-first-reactions.html

Best regards.

Thanks Bart and Rich and all others who contributed to the discussion about focusing and sharpness. I am lost.

Could someone please summarize for me the consensus, if any, that has emerged? So, is the GFX100 a lemon or worth buying at this time? TIA. :grin:

Knorp

Thanks Bart and Rich and all others who contributed to the discussion about focusing and sharpness. I am lost.

Could someone please summarize for me the consensus, if any, that has emerged? So, is the GFX100 a lemon or worth buying at this time? TIA. :grin:
Who can tell, K-H ? At least it's a sweet lemon ... :angel:

vjbelle

A lemon or not? There will be others who will contradict me but I initially found the camera not able to reach 'critical' focus. In hindsight this all could be due to the softness of the file. Identical files taken with my 3100 vs Fuji 100 were very different with respect to sharpness. In fact the difference between the 50s files and the 100 files were remarkable with respect to sharpness.

Since I have a 4150 coming that I have never used I thought it would be prudent to download raw files shot with the IQ4 for overall comparison to the Fuji since the sensors are from the same generation.

Again I found the sharpness difference from what I saw from any Fuji 100 file vs. a Phase IQ4 file to be significant. At 100% pixels any image I shot with the Fuji 100 was not as sharp as samples of IQ4 files.

There is a softening to the Fuji files that are objectionable to me. I don't know what is causing this. Maybe it's the sensor glass with relationship to the sensor..... I don't know.

As always YMMV but thought I would add this to the mix.

Victor

k-hawinkler

A lemon or not? There will be others who will contradict me but I initially found the camera not able to reach 'critical' focus. In hindsight this all could be due to the softness of the file. Identical files taken with my 3100 vs Fuji 100 were very different with respect to sharpness. In fact the difference between the 50s files and the 100 files were remarkable with respect to sharpness.

Since I have a 4150 coming that I have never used I thought it would be prudent to download raw files shot with the IQ4 for overall comparison to the Fuji since the sensors are from the same generation.

Again I found the sharpness difference from what I saw from any Fuji 100 file vs. a Phase IQ4 file to be significant. At 100% pixels any image I shot with the Fuji 100 was not as sharp as samples of IQ4 files.

There is a softening to the Fuji files that are objectionable to me. I don't know what is causing this. Maybe it's the sensor glass with relationship to the sensor..... I don't know.

As always YMMV but thought I would add this to the mix.

Victor
Many thanks Victor. You are not the only one who noticed sharpness issues. Here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62825957 are quotes from Chris Dodkin:

Having shot with GFX100 myself, I found that default sharpening was way too low on the GFX RAW images with my current version of ACR”

[FONT=&quot]“If it was just focus, the in-camera JPEGs would be soft in the same way
which they aren't
so sharpening at conversion is part of the equation”[/FONT]

Certainly interesting. :facesmack:

Knorp

Many thanks Victor. You are not the only one who noticed sharpness issues. Here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62825957 are quotes from Chris Dodkin:

Having shot with GFX100 myself, I found that default sharpening was way too low on the GFX RAW images with my current version of ACR”

[FONT=&quot]“If it was just focus, the in-camera JPEGs would be soft in the same way
which they aren't
so sharpening at conversion is part of the equation”[/FONT]

Certainly interesting. :facesmack:
Interesting perhaps, but I'd say annoying and certainly worrying.
I found my 50s RAW files straight out of the camera already pretty sharp, especially if I hadn't been drinking ... :rolleyes:

You were asking for consensus K-H, but I wonder if there's any verdict or theory yet regarding this perceived softness.
All I know is that my '50s fence' is still pretty comfortable ... :sleep:

Krgds.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Chris Dodkin is a fashion photographer.
He described his work flow for the GFX100 here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62782657

Seems pretty involved.
He currently uses a 50S for work and a 50R for fun.

He had an opportunity to try out a pre-production model of the GFX100.
His extensive writeup is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62780952

Quoting from his conclusions:

Will I buy one now? - nope, not yet. If I didn't have the 50S then yes, but having the 50S meets the need for magazine shooting (and some), and whilst IBIS and other upgrades would be nice, they aren't essential or pressing.Also $10k is a lot to spend when your existing $30k spend on the system is mostly under 2 yrs old.
Will I get one eventually? - Probably. This will be the flagship MF camera in the market for some time I expect, so it'll always be tempting me to upgrade.”

My own conclusion for now - no need to sit on a fence.
I have not had my 50S for even a year and I really enjoy using it. :LOL:

It will be interesting to follow Jim Kasson what he will find out once he has received his copy of the GFX100. I am looking forward to his - no doubt - insightful reporting on his blog
https://blog.kasson.com/. :grin:

Knorp

Chris Dodkin is a fashion photographer.
He described his work flow for the GFX100 here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62782657

Seems pretty involved.
He currently uses a 50S for work and a 50R for fun.

He had an opportunity to try out a pre-production model of the GFX100.
His extensive writeup is here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62780952

Quoting from his conclusions:

Will I buy one now? - nope, not yet. If I didn't have the 50S then yes, but having the 50S meets the need for magazine shooting (and some), and whilst IBIS and other upgrades would be nice, they aren't essential or pressing.Also $10k is a lot to spend when your existing $30k spend on the system is mostly under 2 yrs old.
Will I get one eventually? - Probably. This will be the flagship MF camera in the market for some time I expect, so it'll always be tempting me to upgrade.”

My own conclusion for now - no need to sit on a fence.
I have not had my 50S for even a year and I really enjoy using it. :LOL:

It will be interesting to follow Jim Kasson what he will find out once he has received his copy of the GFX100. I am looking forward to his - no doubt - insightful reporting on his blog
https://blog.kasson.com/. :grin:

Excellent, keep us posted, K-H !