Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

As for me I will get every GF lens they come out with and then after a few years decide paring down here and there, but for now I use them all.

Up until now my favorites are 23, 32-64 and 100-200 +1,4 if needed. That is a nice 3 lens kit. For urban and street that new 50/3.5 will be perfect-maybe even replace my M's, but time will tell. Right now 24MP has no interest for me since I crop from time to time and print at times large.

Also like my Mamaiya 645 lenses for speciality uses like 180 degree fisheye, 300/5.6 (so small for such a great lens) and 500.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Zack Arias - Why Medium Format Matters
    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62904287
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Zack Arias - Why Medium Format Matters
    https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62904287
    I remember this same Zack Arias evangelising APSC (Fuji X) some years ago and why YOU DO NOT NEED FF or even MFD

So what should we believe now?

What do you believe now?

I definitely do not believe any longer in anything this ...... says
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post

What do you believe now?
    For me it's simple, every format, from 1" (or even smaller) to the large MF of Phase 1 have their place in digital photography, it just depends on what you need and/or expect and how you personally strike the balance between size/weight, image quality and price. Or in other words "one size fits all" doesn't apply to sensor size in digital photography. It's great to have so many choices and choose what suits your style and budget best.
    My Pics
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    For me it's simple, every format, from 1" (or even smaller) to the large MF of Phase 1 have their place in digital photography, it just depends on what you need and/or expect and how you personally strike the balance between size/weight, image quality and price. Or in other words "one size fits all" doesn't apply to sensor size in digital photography. It's great to have so many choices and choose what suits your style and budget best.
    Thanks Pieter, that sums it p for me pretty well.
    The rest is just salesmanship and entertainment.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karl-Heinz, and to add to what I said, there's no reason to limit yourself in the number of different sensor sizes one can own (use), it's all a matter how you balance your priorities
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like

Just please understand me right - I do absolutely love what Fuji is doing - X as well as GFX!

And for me there is a clear difference! Having shot digital MF for years myself I knwo the differences!

But I absolutely hate guys like Zack A. who are just jumping ships in seconds and misinforming people who trust them. This is absolutely the worse that can happen and has nothing to do with salesmanship and entertainment.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, there's no misunderstanding Peter, and I agree with you that believing you-tubers can be a perilous game. Keep a level head and extract the facts from the usual melée of bullshit and bias then some of them can give useful info.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember this same Zack Arias evangelising APSC (Fuji X) some years ago and why YOU DO NOT NEED FF or even MFD

What do you believe now?

I definitely do not believe any longer in anything this ...... says
    And yet.... you sign off all your posts with “Life is an ever changing journey.” How curious. :-)

Rand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rand47 View Post
    And yet.... you sign off all your posts with “Life is an ever changing journey.” How curious. :-)

Rand
    Well, the issue is how serious can one take words from such a ..... like Zack A. ? I cannot anymore. Even if life is an ever changing journey ..... but telling the world such nonsense and jumping several 180 degrees in such a short time .....

How curious shall I be about you? Or better not even care about your reply?

I do not know yet, but I will take my time to think about that ..... or maybe not because it is not even worth it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Peter, that guy Z... comes across as a phony.
    You are not the only one who remembered his earlier presentation.
    I don’t think it really is to Fujifilm’s advantage to use him in that way.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree to this! I listened pretty much to him and his thoughts some 5-7 years ago and at that time he shot Phase MFD and Fuji X - quite a difference if you ask me. And he generally preferred Fuji X much more compared to Phase MFD. Which I found ridiculous then and still do - these are 2 pretty opposite systems, sensor sizes, operability and results which come out - as we (most of us) know anyway.

So I think Fuji should no longer hire him for campaigns, especially for campaigns about their flagship medium format digital cameras. They easily can do better IMO!

Anyway I think this is enough of that discussion and I wish you all who are interested and invested in Fuji GFX all the fun, success and satisfaction you are looking for - this is the best MFD system available today and I do not see that change sooner or even later

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't changed my mind since announcement of the GFX100MP - for me it remains a simple decision:

I am looking forward to being able to walk around all day with one lens and 100MP and not worry about missing a shot because I haven't carried 3-4 lenses with me. Being able to 'zoom in' via crop is going to change the way I shoot street. I now also have a good reason to buy the 250 with 1.4 - using IBIS I will be able to crop into the same result I get with the SL 90-280 on apc for surf shoots.

This is why I will add the 100MP camera to my kit - it means I can dump a lot of 35mm gear I no longer need- and lose nothing in terms of iQ - I am still young enough to carry a Canon or Nikon 1 series DSLR so the GFX100 wont be a bother to me.

100MP is about large prints and cropability - Fuji's IBIS and auto focusing in MF levels of MP is just fantastic - if Hasselblad could put the same into their form factor XID camera-( which is smaller ) that would be the only competition for this camera.

Will it make me a better photographer - nope - will I get better shots and more keepers - who knows? Do I think it will make photography 'easier' - for me and what I shoot - definitely.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fujifilm issues service advisory for GFX 100 units with faulty shutter lock mechanism
    Published Jul 29, 2019 | Gannon Burgett

https://www.dpreview.com/news/084096...4010_132618830
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

..... or maybe not because it is not even worth it?
    Decidedly, NOT. LOL

Rand

Post Thanks / Like

I took his earlier video on “Full Frame” to be nothing more than a hilarious “send up” on those who think 24x36mm sensors are some kind of holy grail of photography. He was just reminding, or introducing the concept to folk who weren’t involved in photography “back in the day,” that 24x36mm was considered ‘miniature film.’ I don’t see it as him doing a flip flop at all. But to each his own. I’m not a fan of his stuff in the first place, but I know a joke when I see one.

Rand

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I fully agree to this! I listened pretty much to him and his thoughts some 5-7 years ago and at that time he shot Phase MFD and Fuji X - quite a difference if you ask me. And he generally preferred Fuji X much more compared to Phase MFD. Which I found ridiculous then and still do - these are 2 pretty opposite systems, sensor sizes, operability and results which come out - as we (most of us) know anyway.
    He is not the only one. Andy Mumford stuck to the X series cameras, even though he did work with Fuji's medium-format models (he is a Fuji ambassador). You can see his blog here and there are different videos explaining his choices including his move from FF DSLRs to Fuji mirrorless: https://www.andymumford.com/blog

I shoot MFD and X series cameras. I moved to Fuji from MFD for a variety of reasons. No, my X Pro2 does not compete with MFD in term of raw quality, but that is not a practical measure. One test I did make was whether I could make a high-quality 40" print from the Fuji gear. If I could get to those dimensions then it would work really well for anything smaller. And this was a simple test of whether the prints were good, not a comparison of whether they would compete with MFD (which obviously they could not). Mumford went through a similar process. Given the quality of his work, it is hard to argue with his reasoning.

There are two philosophies in choosing a camera. The most prevalent is to maximize quality: that is simply looking for the "best" specs. The other is to optimize quality. That is a very different process of reaching a particular level of quality. Neither is "better" as an approach, but optimization explains why someone may simply go for systems that would seem on the surface a "lesser" one.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    He is not the only one. Andy Mumford stuck to the X series cameras, even though he did work with Fuji's medium-format models (he is a Fuji ambassador). You can see his blog here and there are different videos explaining his choices including his move from FF DSLRs to Fuji mirrorless: https://www.andymumford.com/blog

I shoot MFD and X series cameras. I moved to Fuji from MFD for a variety of reasons. No, my X Pro2 does not compete with MFD in term of raw quality, but that is not a practical measure. One test I did make was whether I could make a high-quality 40" print from the Fuji gear. If I could get to those dimensions then it would work really well for anything smaller. And this was a simple test of whether the prints were good, not a comparison of whether they would compete with MFD (which obviously they could not). Mumford went through a similar process. Given the quality of his work, it is hard to argue with his reasoning.

There are two philosophies in choosing a camera. The most prevalent is to maximize quality: that is simply looking for the "best" specs. The other is to optimize quality. That is a very different process of reaching a particular level of quality. Neither is "better" as an approach, but optimization explains why someone may simply go for systems that would seem on the surface a "lesser" one.
    I fully agree to this and this has always been my way of judging camera systems myself. I have been through a number of MF systems (digital and analog) and for me they all offered that special look I enjoyed very much. But in my current state of life I am no longer willing (nor able) to deal with all the additional requirements that come along with MF (price, size, weight, etc.) and so I choose even a smaller sensor than APSC with my m43 system. And you know what, I am quite happy, just now even more again after my last vacation where I was happy not to have to carry more than my EM1.2 with 12-40Pro lens attached 95% of the time.

I was not complaining about the quality one can get out of the X system, because I love that system myself although I am currently not invested in it. But would I change from Olympus that would very likely be it, especially as all the latest FF mirrorless offerings are not resonating with me (again size and prize).

But I was complaining about the attitude of this Z.A. who once told the world that he does not need anything else but the X system even while he also used Phase MFD and nd some years later he jumps on stage and tells everybody he has found the holy grail with Fuji GFX. Same way as he did with Fuji X some years ago.

I totally get A. Mumford and what he says sounds very serious for me, but no more what this Z.A. says.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can’t speak to the GFX100 but everything I’ve shot with the GFX50s has exceeded my expectations and the lenses are second to none in my experience.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

The World is a book, and those that do not travel read only one page ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I can’t speak to the GFX100 but everything I’ve shot with the GFX50s has exceeded my expectations and the lenses are second to none in my experience.

Yup. +1 for 50S and GF23, 32-64, 45, 110, 120, 250, and 1.4x TC.
    Which lenses do you use? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I apologize if this response/question has been placed in the wrong thread.
    I previously owned a GFX 50s and sold it due to its form factor. I am now considering the purchase of a GFX 50r. In the absence of the GFX50s I have been using a Panasonic S1r and have been thrilled with its IBIS, and am wondering if current users have found the absence of IBIS to be an issue in regards to the 50r. I am not a youngster, and my advancing years have brought with it some deterioration in hand steadiness that has not been a problem with the S1r. All of my currently owned cameras have IBIS, and while I could test my handholding ability by suspending the FF or micro 4/3 camera's IBIS, the sensor size differential may negate an accurate comparison.
    Thank you in advance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ron787 View Post
    Hello,
    I previously owned a GFX 50s and sold it due to its form factor. I am now considering the purchase of a GFX 50r. In the absence of the GFX50s I have been using a Panasonic S1r and have been thrilled with its IBIS, and am wondering if current users have found the absence of IBIS to be an issue in regards to the 50r. I am not a youngster, and my advancing years have brought with it some deterioration in hand steadiness that has not been a problem with the S1r. All of my currently owned cameras have IBIS, and while I could test my handholding ability by suspending the FF or micro 4/3 camera's IBIS, the sensor size differential may negate an accurate comparison.
    Thank you in advance.
    GFX100 seems to be the GFX camera for you, no?
    Or tripod use?

Handholding wide angle like GF23 doesn't seem an issue for me.
    Neither are the lenses with OIS.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Or tripod use?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, in theory, the GFX100 appears to be a good choice, given its IBIS. However, size, weight and cost are deterring factors. That said, I have considered its purchase, but would like to see more user reports before I commit to a $10,000 decision.
    As for the lenses with OIS, they are few. When I'd owned the GFX50s I also owned the 120mm OIS. Its stabilization ability was just OK, not up to the quality of a good IBIS system.

A tripod is always a good idea from a stabilization viewpoint, but not practical for the kind of imaging that I do. With the exception of occasional macro work, everything else is done handheld.

The GFXr is now being discounted here in the US, and it is at reasonably attractive price point. However, it might make more sense for me to focus on the GFX100.
    Thanks again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    Thank you in advance.
    I don't get it: what's wrong with the S1R that makes you want a 50R ?
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    I don't get it: what's wrong with the S1R that makes you want a 50R ?
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with the S1r, but there is something about the MF aspect ratio/output that has always caught my eye. The S1r is a definite keeper, especially with Leica SL lenses attached.

As previously mentioned, I'd owned a GFX50s that I'd sold for several reasons, none of which were related to IQ. That said, I'd found the camera to be slow in response and of bulky design, to the extent that I'd begun to leave it behind in favor of my other camera options. But it is for the aforementioned reason (aspect ratio and IQ) that I would like to reenter the MF world. And for the reasons that I'd disposed of the 50s, I suppose that the 50r would not be a prudent choice and, despite my earlier statement in re the GFX100, I am now seriously considering its purchase.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Or tripod use?

After some mental wrestling, I've ordered the GFX100. It is still listed as backordered on the major reseller's websites, so it could be a long time in the coming. But despite this decision, I will continue to enjoy using my S1r with Leica SL and Panasonic Lumix S lenses. Life is short and unpredictable, why not enjoy it while you can.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

After some mental wrestling, I've ordered the GFX100. It is still listed as backordered on the major reseller's websites, so it could be a long time in the coming. But despite this decision, I will continue to enjoy using my S1r with Leica SL and Panasonic Lumix S lenses. Life is short and unpredictable, why not enjoy it while you can.
    Congratulations on ordering and great points you make.

Indeed, life is short and unpredictable, why not enjoy it while you can.
    I am using Fuji, Sony, Olympus, and now to a much lesser degree Nikon and Leica gear, mostly lenses of the latter two. Some of those FF lenses can even be adapted to the Fuji GFX cameras, showing only a tad of vignetting.

I am curious how long it will take for you to receive the GFX100. Please let us know. Good luck.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who are interested: Jim Kasson finally received his GFX100 and is now churning out a steady stream of test results characterizing the behavior of the camera both absolutely and relative to the GFX50 cameras.

http://blog.kasson.com/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    For those who are interested: Jim Kasson finally received his GFX100 and is now churning out a steady stream of test results characterizing the behavior of the camera both absolutely and relative to the GFX50 cameras.

the last word ? Photography meets digital computer technology. Photography wins — most of the time.
    Thanks Oren. Excellent!

Following are three sharpness related measurements by Jim Kasson:

Fuji GFX 100 sharpness, LoCA, focus shift with 110/2, August 5, 2019 By JimK
    https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/fuji...ft-with-110-2/

Fujifilm GFX 100 sharpness compared to GFX 50s, August 6, 2019 By JimK
    https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/fuji...ed-to-gfx-50s/

GFX 100 sharpening in Lightroom, August 7, 2019 By JimK
    https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/gfx-...-in-lightroom/

It's worth reading Jim's posts.
    Here is my brief summary for GF110 f/2:

• the pixel-level sharpness of the GFX 100 was less than the GFX 50S, and
    • the picture-level sharpness was about the same.

ACR and LR default sharpness settings (Strength = 40, radius = 1.0, detail = 25) suck.
    • Better for GFX 50S (Strength = 10, radius = 1.0, detail = 10)
    • Better for GFX 100 (Strength = 10, radius = 0.5, detail = 0)

• There isn’t very much LoCA at all For GF110 f/2 on GFX 100.

One more interesting pst by Jim Kasson:

Fuji GFX 100 vs 50S sharpness with 3D subject, August 7, 2019 By JimK
    https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/fuji...th-3d-subject/

Quote:
    "
    The GFX 100 image doesn’t look unequivocally sharper, but it is more detailed and smoother. But there are other systematic differences:

There is far less false color in the GFX 100 image.
    The blue/purple fringing in the GFX 50R image that appeared to be LoCA isn’t present in the GFX 100 image, indicating that it was a false color artifact.
    "

Last edited by k-hawinkler; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:49.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using Fuji, Sony, Olympus, and now to a much lesser degree Nikon and Leica gear, mostly lenses of the latter two. Some of those FF lenses can even be adapted to the Fuji GFX cameras, showing only a tad of vignetting.

I am curious how long it will take for you to receive the GFX100. Please let us know. Good luck.
    I will definitely post when it arrives, but I am prepared for a protracted waiting period, as the store could not provide an ETA. I ordered it with the GF 45mm F/2.8 to begin with. In the past, when I'd owned the GFX50s, I'd used the 63mm as well as the 120mm OIS, both were stellar performers. This time around I've opted for a focal length that I am accustomed to using with my S1R, but I am certain that there are other GF lenses in my future, that is, assuming that I can bond with the GFX100 ... one never knows.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fujifilm GFX 100 review, Published Aug 7, 2019 | Richard Butler
    https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuj...0_dpr_nl_384_4
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also someone who left the Fuji MF system and now concentrates wholly on the APS-C XF system.

In my case it was for medical reasons. Over time I found it harder and harder to carry the GFX 50S and lenses on urban work where I travel by foot or public transport (there is no point in driving a car in London after about 7AM in the morning). I have a weak back and even though I felt that I could cope with hauling the weight of the camera and lenses in the end I couldn't. When I had my last bout of back trouble I was confined to using my X-T3 and it forced me to buy a couple of XF lenses to complete my work.

However, the XF system - while very good for APS-C, especially for my initial intended purpose, which was wildlife - is not a replacement of the GF system, at all - to an experienced eye. Although I now own the XF 8-16 UWA, widely acclaimed as a stellar lens for the XF system, results using the X-T3 do not achieve the same detail, colouration or 'pop' as the GFX50S+23mm, for example. I found the GFX50S and most of the GF lenses gave me a 'pop' which I had only previously seen with Leica cameras and lenses.

That said, I just did an architecture assignment for a client shot mostly with the X-H1 and the XF 8-16 and they are not only happy but one of their suppliers was so impressed they also want to use the photos. In the end, as most of us know, unless you are doing front pages for Vogue, most clients cannot tell the difference between any kind of camera system - as long as your content is good.

The only situation in which I have bettered my GF system with the XF is in the macro space. The XF 80/2.8 is an awesome lens. I suspect I have produced better results because for handheld macro purposes, the X-T3+80/2.8 is a lot lighter and therefore you can handhold and shoot a lot easier. I would say it equals the use of the GF 120mm for architectural detail, which is what I use a medium telephoto for mostly (and for the pleasure of photographing bugs and things, now and then).

If you can handle the weight I cannot do other than highly recommend the GF system (although I can't believe anyone other than professionals doing fashion or product work need the 100mpx) - so if I was younger, stronger and my back wasn't well into its seventh decade of service I wouldn't hesitate to go Fuji MF, if money were no object.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Louis. I wish your back doesn't give you anymore troubles.
    I am also into my seventies and had a short episode of back pain.
    Luckily my back recovered fast and I have no problem carrying my Fuji GFX gear around.

A friend of mine uses his Fuji XF gear for church, theater, and sports, primarily swimming competitions with excellent results.

I have to agree the GF23 on 50S is stellar.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I'm also someone who left the Fuji MF system and now concentrates wholly on the APS-C XF system.

In my case it was for medical reasons. Over time I found it harder and harder to carry the GFX 50S and lenses on urban work where I travel by foot or public transport (there is no point in driving a car in London after about 7AM in the morning). I have a weak back and even though I felt that I could cope with hauling the weight of the camera and lenses in the end I couldn't. When I had my last bout of back trouble I was confined to using my X-T3 and it forced me to buy a couple of XF lenses to complete my work.

However, the XF system - while very good for APS-C, especially for my initial intended purpose, which was wildlife - is not a replacement of the GF system, at all - to an experienced eye. Although I now own the XF 8-16 UWA, widely acclaimed as a stellar lens for the XF system, results using the X-T3 do not achieve the same detail, colouration or 'pop' as the GFX50S+23mm, for example. I found the GFX50S and most of the GF lenses gave me a 'pop' which I had only previously seen with Leica cameras and lenses.

That said, I just did an architecture assignment for a client shot mostly with the X-H1 and the XF 8-16 and they are not only happy but one of their suppliers was so impressed they also want to use the photos. In the end, as most of us know, unless you are doing front pages for Vogue, most clients cannot tell the difference between any kind of camera system - as long as your content is good.

The only situation in which I have bettered my GF system with the XF is in the macro space. The XF 80/2.8 is an awesome lens. I suspect I have produced better results because for handheld macro purposes, the X-T3+80/2.8 is a lot lighter and therefore you can handhold and shoot a lot easier. I would say it equals the use of the GF 120mm for architectural detail, which is what I use a medium telephoto for mostly (and for the pleasure of photographing bugs and things, now and then).

If you can handle the weight I cannot do other than highly recommend the GF system (although I can't believe anyone other than professionals doing fashion or product work need the 100mpx) - so if I was younger, stronger and my back wasn't well into its seventh decade of service I wouldn't hesitate to go Fuji MF, if money were no object.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    Louis,

sorry to hear you had to stop using your GFX kit.

Now with your X kit are you seeing any noticable differences from IQ compared to what you got from your former m43 kit?

Thanks

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Louis,

sorry to hear you had to stop using your GFX kit.

Now with your X kit are you seeing any noticable differences from IQ compared to what you got from your former m43 kit?

Thanks

Peter
    Low light performance and AF-C performance are better on the X-T3 than any of my former m43rds cameras (GX8, GH5, G9).

In fact the poor performance of the DFD auto focus on my Panasonic cameras kit signalled its demise as a system. I was totally fed up with missing easy wildlife shots while the auto-focus hunted and failed to lock. The AF on the X-T3 is fantastic, it does hunt for focus on small birds against a bright sky but in all other instances lock on normally fast and solid.

Low light performance of the 26mpx BSI sensor is very good indeed. I have no qualms about shooting at iso3200 and still get impressive detail, something I am afraid was impossible on the Panasonic bodies.

It is a shame to see the reviews of the new FF Panasonic cameras also falling down on the continuous AF performance. I think Panasonic are too heavily influenced by Leica. It is very 'Leica-like' thing to stick to the theoretical superiority of a system like DFD, when the practical reality is that it doesn't work.

The one thing I do miss is the PanaLeica glass. No doubt about it. It is very tuned towards Leica 'pop'. If I could justify two different system kits - which I used to but now I am much more constrained in my budget for kit - I'd have kept the Panasonic system and lenses for work and just use the Fuji system for wildlife. I still maintain that the Olympus PRO 7-14/2.8 is the best UWA Zoom I have ever used, even as good (or better?) than the much lauded XF 8-16 which I own now. Like wise the X Vario 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. Two absolutely outstanding lenses.

For all practical intents and purposes, apart from my experience with wildlife photography, the m43rds system and the Fuji system both produce excellent results. If Panasonic moved to a BSI sensor to improve low light performance and junked the DFD system in favour of a more conventional AF system, then it would be perfect.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    "My photography books", Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Low light performance and AF-C performance are better on the X-T3 than any of my former m43rds cameras (GX8, GH5, G9).

In fact the poor performance of the DFD auto focus on my Panasonic cameras kit signalled its demise as a system. I was totally fed up with missing easy wildlife shots while the auto-focus hunted and failed to lock. The AF on the X-T3 is fantastic, it does hunt for focus on small birds against a bright sky but in all other instances lock on normally fast and solid.

Low light performance of the 26mpx BSI sensor is very good indeed. I have no qualms about shooting at iso3200 and still get impressive detail, something I am afraid was impossible on the Panasonic bodies.

It is a shame to see the reviews of the new FF Panasonic cameras also falling down on the continuous AF performance. I think Panasonic are too heavily influenced by Leica. It is very 'Leica-like' thing to stick to the theoretical superiority of a system like DFD, when the practical reality is that it doesn't work.

The one thing I do miss is the PanaLeica glass. No doubt about it. It is very tuned towards Leica 'pop'. If I could justify two different system kits - which I used to but now I am much more constrained in my budget for kit - I'd have kept the Panasonic system and lenses for work and just use the Fuji system for wildlife. I still maintain that the Olympus PRO 7-14/2.8 is the best UWA Zoom I have ever used, even as good (or better?) than the much lauded XF 8-16 which I own now. Like wise the X Vario 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8. Two absolutely outstanding lenses.

For all practical intents and purposes, apart from my experience with wildlife photography, the m43rds system and the Fuji system both produce excellent results. If Panasonic moved to a BSI sensor to improve low light performance and junked the DFD system in favour of a more conventional AF system, then it would be perfect.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    Thanks for this honest answer, I really appreciate!

I must say that if I had a second system it would be the Fuji X system, even after all the FF mirrorless announcements - so much I love Fuji X System Maybe one day - if the X-H2 arrives - this will mark my reentry into Fuji.

Having said that I was more than happy using just my "ancient" Olympus EM1.2 with latest FW 3.1 and the 2.8/12-40 and the 2.8/40-150 during my latest Florida vacation. Perfect setup for all types of shooting conditions I was into. The one thing I am thinking to improve for future is toads the 4/12-100 PRO to my setup because this would be the only lens I travel with when I do not have specific requirements.

I think that in the end the approach from Olympus to use 121 PDAF points in combination with CDAF on their 20MP sensors was and still is the right one. Did not have many conditions where AF as well as AF-C Tracking failed. And this is even better with the new EM1.X if one needs (tested this beasts some months ago and maybe I will get one - it is as good)!

Other than that I am hoping for a higher resolution EVF in their next model as well as further improved (faster) handheld High Res mode.Maybe we will see that in the next version of the EM1.2 - the EM1.3 that should arrive next year.

From size - I am no longer willing to carry more than say the Olympus EM1.2 with PRO lenses or a Fuji X-T3/X-H2 with lenses - all other is too much for me. And also too expensive. I also had high hopes for the Panasonic S1/S1R but for me these cameras arte simply too heavy, have the DFD issues you describe and also will not match with my M lenses perfectly. So for that I rather would add a used M240 or M10 to my arsenal and call it a day.

Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How fast is the GFX 100 electronic shutter?
    https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/how-...ronic-shutter/

For 14 bit images: 1/6 s
    For 16 bit images: 1/3 s

With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I happened to come across several forum poster's comments regarding the aesthetics of the new Fuji GFX100. They'd opined that the Leica SL's body is attractive, while that of the GFX100 is not. As a prior Leica SL owner and a current owner of a Panasonic S1R and G9, I can truthfully say that, IMO, all three bodies, viewed from their faces (the SL, S1R and GFX100) bear a striking resemblance, once you factor in their varying dimensions. In essence, they appear, once again IMO, to represent a flat slab of metal with a variously protruding grip. That said, I find them neither attractive nor unattractive. Of the two bodies mentioned, the SL and S1R are the closest in appearance. As for the GFX, the permanently attached grip might throw one off visually, but the corresponding extender to either camera and there you have it, at least in my eyes.

But the aesthetics aside, for myself, the most important aspect of any camera is function, and the GFX appears to have it. Still waiting for mine.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron. I actually prefer an integrated grip, had that with my Nikon D3.
    On my Fuji 50S the battery grip loosens occasionally a little bit.
    Then one battery disappears from the top LCD.
    No big deal.
    Cheers.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I've queried the large store reseller and it appears that they do not have clue as to when they will receive their shipment. And then there's the issue of how many are in line for whatever number that they are allocated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd Chambers discovered focus bracketing/stacking with the GFX 100 and some issues.

https://diglloyd.com/

https://diglloyd.com/blog/2019/20190...sStacking.html
    https://diglloyd.com/blog/2019/20190...reSunrise.html
    https://diglloyd.com/blog/2019/20190...ndGrasses.html
    https://diglloyd.com/blog/2019/20190...-examples.html
    https://diglloyd.com/blog/2019/20190...us-errors.html
    https://diglloyd.com/blog/2019/20190...FOCUS_BKT.html

I don’t own a GFX 100 but have done a lot of focus bracketing of landscape images with my GFX 50S. That has been quite a challenge and a learning experience. It doesn’t work perfectly. Needs work on Fuji’s part.

The next challenge then is the focus stacking part and which software to use.

How does Lloyd do the stacking?
    I couldn’t find that info.

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/66...tml#post796473
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 6 Days Ago at 04:36.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting micro-lenses related discussion:

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...tml#post796623
    With best regards, K-H.