The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Another quote by someone else from said reference, quote:

”[FONT=&quot]Interesting. I did a hands on with the GFX 100 (no S in there by the way) that Fuji sponsored at Camera. West. I’m currently shooting a 50s. Even with the lenses lacking the firmware upgrade, and the pre-production software, the raw files I shot were far and away more detailed and sharp to the point that shooting portraits could be a problem without some serious “flattering” processing.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]There was something either seriously wrong with your camera, or its settings

[/FONT]

Knorp

Another quote by someone else from said reference, quote:

”[FONT=&quot]Interesting. I did a hands on with the GFX 100 (no S in there by the way) that Fuji sponsored at Camera. West. I’m currently shooting a 50s. Even with the lenses lacking the firmware upgrade, and the pre-production software, the raw files I shot were far and away more detailed and sharp to the point that shooting portraits could be a problem without some serious “flattering” processing.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]There was something either seriously wrong with your camera, or its settings

[/FONT]
Remarkable. If all this is true, and I mean both experiences, then I'd say there is a production issue or (as suggested) a settings issue.
If it is a production issue then shame on Fuji for poor QA/QC.
Time will tell.

:watch:

k-hawinkler

Remarkable. If all this is true, and I mean both experiences, then I'd say there is a production issue or (as suggested) a settings issue.
If it is a production issue then shame on Fuji for poor QA/QC.
Time will tell.

:watch:
Thanks Bart.
Whatever it turns out to be, Fujifilm certainly has a problem to solve.
So I have read 3 different observations by various folks, namely:

GFX100 has * sharp images, * has soft images, and finally * has sharp JPGs while the same exposure has soft RAFs.

I also still wonder in which way the lens firmware version 1.10 affects unintentionally performance on the 50S? For now I will shoot superfine JPGs with the RAFs so that I can compare them.

I had one example that I probably deleted where the JPG looked fine but the WB of the RAF image looked way off for mixed lighting. I had never observed that before, but also mostly didn’t shoot JPGs with RAFs. I will keep an eye on this as well.

I am glad I didn’t (pre-)order the GFX100 camera. Not many of them seemed to have been shipped to US customers so far anyway. Oh well.

k-hawinkler

So I went to collect my GFX-100S...
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4407503

Quote:

"So with all that goodness, why did I walk away?
One reason only; it isn't as sharp as my GFX-50S!" :banghead:

In the comments ... relevant questions.
For sure IMHO Fuji has to address this issue ASAP! :facesmack:

More feedback, quote:

"[FONT=&quot]In fact I have loaded the images into Capture One and had another look. I am fairly satisfied that C1 does a better job with GFX-100 files and they look very good.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The files still look a bit soft at default sharpening, but adding some extra sharpening does equalise the files to the GFX-50S in terms of sharpness.[/FONT]"

Maybe LR (not uptodate yet) is to blame. :thumbdown:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

I am not at all in the market for a Fujifilm GFX 100 BUT I would test drive one or rent it in order to see myself if I like IQ.

I hardly can believe that IQ should be lower by any means than the 50MP derivates and I would not trust a minute in what whoever testers or reviewers found out or didn't find out.

There was never ever a problem for me here in Austria to get such a camera for testing purposes for a week or two and I guess that cannot be different in the parts of the world where you live.

So hope to hear soon about all these GFX 100 issues being solved - have fun!

Peter

k-hawinkler

Thanks Peter.

Here is an interesting interview with 2 Fuji executives:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/03/15/fujifilm-qa-cpplus-2019-af-tidbits-lenses-100-mp

My question: How does Fuji use/combine PDAF/CDAF input for S-AF and/or C-AF for the GFX100 or their X-T3?

TIA.

A related point from the FUJIFILM GFX100 Owner’s Manual

INSTANT AF SETTING

Choose whether the camera focuses using single AF (AF‑S) or continuous AF (AF‑C) when a button to which focus lock or AF-ON is assigned is pressed in manual focus mode.
Options
AF-SAF-C

It really doesn’t say anything about PDAF/CDAF. :banghead:

Last edited:

Knorp

I’ll tell you tomorrow ... :grin: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
Note: this is a sample downloaded from DPReview from their Fujifilm GFX 100 review in progress Sample Galleries.

Processed in Capture One Pro 12.1 without modifications other than resized to 1800x1350 at 80% JPEG quality.
EXIF; GFX100 firmware v1.0, lens GF110/2, ISO 100, 1/1600 s, F/2

Full size - No sharpening

100% Crop - No sharpening

100% Crop - Default sharpening (185,1,1)

k-hawinkler

Fujifilm GFX100 sets new benchmark in our studio scene
https://www.dpreview.com/news/6009498706/fujifilm-gfx100-sets-new-benchmark-in-our-studio-scene

:thumbup: :clap:

Excellent result for the GFX100.

Compared to the 50S and 50R another factor of SQRT(2)=1.4 magnification!
Great for cropping of wildlife shots with the GF250 + 1.4x TC = GF350.
Instead of FF equivalent of 280mm for a 50MP sensor, it’s like ~400mm for 100MP.
And another factor of ~1.4x magnification when compared to the Sony A9’s 24MP.
So, magnification/resolution wise 350mm on GFX100 is equivalent to ~560mm on A9.

However, 50S images already look excellent and I already got the A9 and lenses.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62862003

Quote:

After reevaluating the images in C1 I decided to pull the trigger and today I collected my GFX-100. I will take it on some shoots this week and get a better feel for it.WEX has very kindly allowed me to evaluate the camera in the field without charging a restock fee if I change my mind. Great service.
I will update later with some real world shots.
If anyone have any questions and want me to test certain things, let me know.
madsbjerke.com

Looking good.
:thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62862003

Quote:

After reevaluating the images in C1 I decided to pull the trigger and today I collected my GFX-100. I will take it on some shoots this week and get a better feel for it.WEX has very kindly allowed me to evaluate the camera in the field without charging a restock fee if I change my mind. Great service.
I will update later with some real world shots.
If anyone have any questions and want me to test certain things, let me know.
madsbjerke.com

Looking good.
:thumbup:
I must honestly say that this new GFX 100 and all these reviews, especially the ones using MFD for wildlife, make me want to reenter that Medium Format territory again. I also must say if that happens it definitely would be with the GFX 100 :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

k-hawinkler

I must honestly say that this new GFX 100 and all these reviews, especially the ones using MFD for wildlife, make me want to reenter that Medium Format territory again. I also must say if that happens it definitely would be with the GFX 100 :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:
Thanks Pieter. The GFX100 seems to be a real winner! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :clap:
I agree with you, very tempting to add to my 50S and 6 lenses and the 1.4x TC.
Having the excellent 50S though, I am in no hurry and can wait to see how things shape up. I got all my lenses at a terrific discount during one of the sales Fujifilm offers from time to time. Right now demand for the GFX100 seems to outstrip supply anyway here in the US? We’ll see when it first is listed as “in stock” by the major online stores. :grin: