The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

algrove

As for me I will get every GF lens they come out with and then after a few years decide paring down here and there, but for now I use them all.

Up until now my favorites are 23, 32-64 and 100-200 +1,4 if needed. That is a nice 3 lens kit. For urban and street that new 50/3.5 will be perfect-maybe even replace my M's, but time will tell. Right now 24MP has no interest for me since I crop from time to time and print at times large.

Also like my Mamaiya 645 lenses for speciality uses like 180 degree fisheye, 300/5.6 (so small for such a great lens) and 500.

pegelli

So what should we believe now?

What do you believe now?
For me it's simple, every format, from 1" (or even smaller) to the large MF of Phase 1 have their place in digital photography, it just depends on what you need and/or expect and how you personally strike the balance between size/weight, image quality and price. Or in other words "one size fits all" doesn't apply to sensor size in digital photography. It's great to have so many choices and choose what suits your style and budget best.

k-hawinkler

For me it's simple, every format, from 1" (or even smaller) to the large MF of Phase 1 have their place in digital photography, it just depends on what you need and/or expect and how you personally strike the balance between size/weight, image quality and price. Or in other words "one size fits all" doesn't apply to sensor size in digital photography. It's great to have so many choices and choose what suits your style and budget best.
Thanks Pieter, that sums it p for me pretty well.
The rest is just salesmanship and entertainment. :LOL:

pegelli

Thanks Karl-Heinz, and to add to what I said, there's no reason to limit yourself in the number of different sensor sizes one can own (use), it's all a matter how you balance your priorities :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just please understand me right - I do absolutely love what Fuji is doing - X as well as GFX!

And for me there is a clear difference! Having shot digital MF for years myself I knwo the differences!

But I absolutely hate guys like Zack A. who are just jumping ships in seconds and misinforming people who trust them. This is absolutely the worse that can happen and has nothing to do with salesmanship and entertainment.

pegelli

Don't worry, there's no misunderstanding Peter, and I agree with you that believing you-tubers can be a perilous game. Keep a level head and extract the facts from the usual melée of bullshit and bias then some of them can give useful info.

Rand47

I remember this same Zack Arias evangelising APSC (Fuji X) some years ago and why YOU DO NOT NEED FF or even MFD

So what should we believe now?

What do you believe now?

I definitely do not believe any longer in anything this ...... says :cool:
And yet.... you sign off all your posts with “Life is an ever changing journey.” How curious. :)

Rand

ptomsu

Workshop Member
And yet.... you sign off all your posts with “Life is an ever changing journey.” How curious. :)

Rand
Well, the issue is how serious can one take words from such a ..... like Zack A. ? I cannot anymore. Even if life is an ever changing journey ..... but telling the world such nonsense and jumping several 180 degrees in such a short time .....

How curious shall I be about you? Or better not even care about your reply?

I do not know yet, but I will take my time to think about that ..... or maybe not because it is not even worth it?

k-hawinkler

Hi Peter, that guy Z... comes across as a phony.
You are not the only one who remembered his earlier presentation.
I don’t think it really is to Fujifilm’s advantage to use him in that way.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I fully agree to this! I listened pretty much to him and his thoughts some 5-7 years ago and at that time he shot Phase MFD and Fuji X - quite a difference if you ask me. And he generally preferred Fuji X much more compared to Phase MFD. Which I found ridiculous then and still do - these are 2 pretty opposite systems, sensor sizes, operability and results which come out - as we (most of us) know anyway.

So I think Fuji should no longer hire him for campaigns, especially for campaigns about their flagship medium format digital cameras. They easily can do better IMO!

Anyway I think this is enough of that discussion and I wish you all who are interested and invested in Fuji GFX all the fun, success and satisfaction you are looking for - this is the best MFD system available today and I do not see that change sooner or even later :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

PeterA

I haven't changed my mind since announcement of the GFX100MP - for me it remains a simple decision:

I am looking forward to being able to walk around all day with one lens and 100MP and not worry about missing a shot because I haven't carried 3-4 lenses with me. Being able to 'zoom in' via crop is going to change the way I shoot street. I now also have a good reason to buy the 250 with 1.4 - using IBIS I will be able to crop into the same result I get with the SL 90-280 on apc for surf shoots.

This is why I will add the 100MP camera to my kit - it means I can dump a lot of 35mm gear I no longer need- and lose nothing in terms of iQ - I am still young enough to carry a Canon or Nikon 1 series DSLR so the GFX100 wont be a bother to me.

100MP is about large prints and cropability - Fuji's IBIS and auto focusing in MF levels of MP is just fantastic - if Hasselblad could put the same into their form factor XID camera-( which is smaller ) that would be the only competition for this camera.

Will it make me a better photographer - nope - will I get better shots and more keepers - who knows? Do I think it will make photography 'easier' - for me and what I shoot - definitely.

Rand47

I took his earlier video on “Full Frame” to be nothing more than a hilarious “send up” on those who think 24x36mm sensors are some kind of holy grail of photography. He was just reminding, or introducing the concept to folk who weren’t involved in photography “back in the day,” that 24x36mm was considered ‘miniature film.’ I don’t see it as him doing a flip flop at all. But to each his own. I’m not a fan of his stuff in the first place, but I know a joke when I see one.

Rand

Shashin

I fully agree to this! I listened pretty much to him and his thoughts some 5-7 years ago and at that time he shot Phase MFD and Fuji X - quite a difference if you ask me. And he generally preferred Fuji X much more compared to Phase MFD. Which I found ridiculous then and still do - these are 2 pretty opposite systems, sensor sizes, operability and results which come out - as we (most of us) know anyway.
He is not the only one. Andy Mumford stuck to the X series cameras, even though he did work with Fuji's medium-format models (he is a Fuji ambassador). You can see his blog here and there are different videos explaining his choices including his move from FF DSLRs to Fuji mirrorless: https://www.andymumford.com/blog

I shoot MFD and X series cameras. I moved to Fuji from MFD for a variety of reasons. No, my X Pro2 does not compete with MFD in term of raw quality, but that is not a practical measure. One test I did make was whether I could make a high-quality 40" print from the Fuji gear. If I could get to those dimensions then it would work really well for anything smaller. And this was a simple test of whether the prints were good, not a comparison of whether they would compete with MFD (which obviously they could not). Mumford went through a similar process. Given the quality of his work, it is hard to argue with his reasoning.

There are two philosophies in choosing a camera. The most prevalent is to maximize quality: that is simply looking for the "best" specs. The other is to optimize quality. That is a very different process of reaching a particular level of quality. Neither is "better" as an approach, but optimization explains why someone may simply go for systems that would seem on the surface a "lesser" one.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
He is not the only one. Andy Mumford stuck to the X series cameras, even though he did work with Fuji's medium-format models (he is a Fuji ambassador). You can see his blog here and there are different videos explaining his choices including his move from FF DSLRs to Fuji mirrorless: https://www.andymumford.com/blog

I shoot MFD and X series cameras. I moved to Fuji from MFD for a variety of reasons. No, my X Pro2 does not compete with MFD in term of raw quality, but that is not a practical measure. One test I did make was whether I could make a high-quality 40" print from the Fuji gear. If I could get to those dimensions then it would work really well for anything smaller. And this was a simple test of whether the prints were good, not a comparison of whether they would compete with MFD (which obviously they could not). Mumford went through a similar process. Given the quality of his work, it is hard to argue with his reasoning.

There are two philosophies in choosing a camera. The most prevalent is to maximize quality: that is simply looking for the "best" specs. The other is to optimize quality. That is a very different process of reaching a particular level of quality. Neither is "better" as an approach, but optimization explains why someone may simply go for systems that would seem on the surface a "lesser" one.
I fully agree to this and this has always been my way of judging camera systems myself. I have been through a number of MF systems (digital and analog) and for me they all offered that special look I enjoyed very much. But in my current state of life I am no longer willing (nor able) to deal with all the additional requirements that come along with MF (price, size, weight, etc.) and so I choose even a smaller sensor than APSC with my m43 system. And you know what, I am quite happy, just now even more again after my last vacation where I was happy not to have to carry more than my EM1.2 with 12-40Pro lens attached 95% of the time.

I was not complaining about the quality one can get out of the X system, because I love that system myself although I am currently not invested in it. But would I change from Olympus that would very likely be it, especially as all the latest FF mirrorless offerings are not resonating with me (again size and prize).

But I was complaining about the attitude of this Z.A. who once told the world that he does not need anything else but the X system even while he also used Phase MFD and nd some years later he jumps on stage and tells everybody he has found the holy grail with Fuji GFX. Same way as he did with Fuji X some years ago.

I totally get A. Mumford and what he says sounds very serious for me, but no more what this Z.A. says.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I can’t speak to the GFX100 but everything I’ve shot with the GFX50s has exceeded my expectations and the lenses are second to none in my experience. :thumbs:

k-hawinkler

I can’t speak to the GFX100 but everything I’ve shot with the GFX50s has exceeded my expectations and the lenses are second to none in my experience. :thumbs:

Yup. +1 for 50S and GF23, 32-64, 45, 110, 120, 250, and 1.4x TC. :thumbs:
Which lenses do you use? TIA.