The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

ron787

Congratulations on ordering and great points you make.

Indeed, life is short and unpredictable, why not enjoy it while you can.
I am using Fuji, Sony, Olympus, and now to a much lesser degree Nikon and Leica gear, mostly lenses of the latter two. Some of those FF lenses can even be adapted to the Fuji GFX cameras, showing only a tad of vignetting.

I am curious how long it will take for you to receive the GFX100. Please let us know. Good luck.
I've queried the large store reseller and it appears that they do not have clue as to when they will receive their shipment. And then there's the issue of how many are in line for whatever number that they are allocated.

k-hawinkler

Fujifilm GFX 100 conclusions
September 6, 2019 By JimK

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/fujifilm-gfx-100-conclusions/

Quote:

"This is a worthy successor to the GFX 50R and 50S, although successor may be the wrong word since they remain in the product line. It will be the successor to the GFX 50S that I use for studio work. In that application, it has only positives; none of the drawbacks that I mentioned above matter for that kind of work.

Before the GFX 100 shipped, there were many who said that it would be a niche camera, with volume a tiny fraction of that for its 50-MP brethren. I doubted that then. I doubt it even more now."

k-hawinkler

Fujifilm GFX 100 conclusions
September 6, 2019 By JimK

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100/fujifilm-gfx-100-conclusions/

Quote:

"This is a worthy successor to the GFX 50R and 50S, although successor may be the wrong word since they remain in the product line. It will be the successor to the GFX 50S that I use for studio work. In that application, it has only positives; none of the drawbacks that I mentioned above matter for that kind of work.

Before the GFX 100 shipped, there were many who said that it would be a niche camera, with volume a tiny fraction of that for its 50-MP brethren. I doubted that then. I doubt it even more now."
More discussion here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4425236
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4425236?page=2

k-hawinkler

Low Income (Affordable) Housing being built in Los Alamos County.

GFX 50S • GF32-64

Last fall/winter they started preparing this site to build on the order of 500 or 600 housing units. The shells of the first units have now gone up. They seem to be putting up 1 or 2 units per week.

Here is an image from last December showing most of the construction site.

This is an earlier image, to the right in the above one, of the location of the first units being built.

I shot the first image of the new structures from the higher elevation to the right.

The new structures are tightly crammed together in the available space. :grin:

PeterA

Luminous Landscape Forum > Equipment & Techniques > Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography > Fujifilm GFX-100 actual *user* experience, tips, setup, please?

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=131278.0

Quote:

"That's right. The electronic first curtain (which is actually a reset signal) moves at the same speed as the mechanical first curtain."

Well that thread lost me at after reading the OP and laughing at who the first respondent to the OP.

Same reason I avoid most discussion on MF forum on here- Phase One cool aid drinkers too much arrant nonsense.

Last edited:

free1000

Speaking of "Peculiarities"... :facesmack:

By Fujirumors - BREAKING: Big Fujifilm Kaizen Firmare Announcement Coming Soon

:watch:
Apparently there's a Fuji X marketing event today and Fujirumours claim announcement of a new film simulation "Classic Negative" I hope this will be available in a firmware update for the 50R as well.

I'm not normally a JPG shooter but its fun to do it with the 50R, though I'd always be doing RAW as well, its just great to have jpg available out of the camera for many purposes, especially online use.

Pelorus

This is a question fro 32-64 users, in particular on the 50R.

When I turn the camera on, and almost continually thereafter, there's a noise that's similar to the focusing noise for the lens. This happens when the shutter button is not depressed and when the autofocus is not set to continuous. This happens with 2 different copies of the lens.

So 3 questions: Does your 32-64 do this? What's causing it? Is it "normal"?

k-hawinkler

In the manual, quote:

Regardless of the option selected, manual focus will be used when the lens is in manual focus mode.
If ON is selected for
AF/MF SETTING > PRE-AF, focus will be adjusted continuously in modes S and C even when the shutter button is not pressed.

Do you have PRE-AF set too ON or OFF?

Pelorus

Thank you...I'm impressed on a number of levels. Firstly you appear to have read the manual, that in itself is an act of steely determination given the poor quality of the manual. Secondly you appear to have hit on at least part of the issue.

PRE-AF was ON and turning it OFF _limits_ the amount of action by the lens, without eliminating it entirely.

So thank you for that. The search continues. I'm really interested if others are hearing anything from their 32-64 when not focusing. Both copies of the lens that I have tried have emitted noise when not focusing.

In the manual, quote:

Regardless of the option selected, manual focus will be used when the lens is in manual focus mode.
If ON is selected for
AF/MF SETTING > PRE-AF, focus will be adjusted continuously in modes S and C even when the shutter button is not pressed.

Do you have PRE-AF set too ON or OFF?

AlanS

Mine does a very faint intermittent tick if I move the camera around but not if held still. (That's in m,c or s).

AlanS

I have pre-af off too so I would say it is normal function and give it no more thought. :cool:

JoelM

I tend to just turn the music up louder. At least, that's what I do when the car or truck starts making an unfriendly noise. Works every time. ;)

Joel