The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

Pelorus

Well frustratingly this is solved but not solved!!

36 hours ago I gave up in disgust after making repeated changes to settings, checking whether the Interval Timer setting was available...and all to no avail. I checked for the last time and shut the camera off.

Today, having mentally prepared myself to join the fray once more, I turned the camera on and the Interval Timer setting...was available. I don't know what the last thing I changed before I shut the camera off was, but I do know I changed batteries after I shut it off.

It's available, it works, however with shutter at 1/8s and interval at 1s the camera can't keep up with the write speed - JPG and uncompressed RAW. It would cycle 3 shots, then pause, then 3 shots, pause...The card is a 300 MB/s UHS II. I changed it to 3s interval and it just keeps up.

Need help on this one, or drugs to calm me :)

On the 50R the interval timer shooting setting is greyed out...I've changed just about every other setting on the camera to no avail. I've consulted the documentation with no benefit. I've searched the web and come up cold.

Does anyone have any idea what the setting is to "un-grey" the interval timer shooting setting...or do you have a recommendation for a good calmative drug? :p

k-hawinkler

I have no clue of what’s going on. :banghead:

Could it be that certain changes only take effect after the camera is switched off or without power? Maybe you discovered a bug. :thumbup:

Congratulations to get that feature to work within camera constraints! :thumbs::clap:

k-hawinkler

Christmas Eve

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujifilm Fujinon GF45mm F2.8 R WR @ 45 mm (36 mm in 35mm), f/2.8, 1/60 s, ISO 2500.

grrr101

Anyone here using the 50R with 50/3.5 for street photography?
Yes
Very nice with one limitation : no IBIS or in lens stabilization, so great care must be taken not to move

Also since the AF is reasonably fast but not instant it is necessary to practice if the idea is to take pictures with fast moving subjects like cars or motorbikes

Some very nice points :
a/ light 1 kg / 2 lbs
b/ rainproof (with a UV filter in front of the lens)
c/ it is possible to carry the body and the lens (separately) in the pockets of a coat or of a jacket with large pockets

Regards
Guy

k-hawinkler

FUJIFILM 45-100mm f/4 Zoom Lens for GFX
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63558852

:salute:

Looking at the cited reference above, it seems the GF32-64 is optically slightly better than either the GF45-100 or the GF100-200.

Not sure if that matters. :facesmack:

For me the Gaf32-64, GF45, GF110, GF120, and GF250 seem to cover the focal length range presumably sufficiently well. :grin:

k-hawinkler

DEERE

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujifilm Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro @ 120 mm (95 mm in 35mm), f/9, 1/125 s, ISO 100.

k-hawinkler

It Snowed Last Night and this Morning

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF250mm F4 R LM OIS WR + 1.4X WR TC @ 350 mm (277 mm in 35mm), f/5.6, 1/125 s, ISO 100.

Michiel Schierbeek

RayLee HomesMirador White Rock 2

Now the view from above where the entrance street connects with the second street to the right in the subdivision.

More views proceeding down that street.

And the final view of house construction along this street that doesn't have a dead end but curves back to St. Road 4 across from the Public Library.

All images shot with Fuji GFX 50S + Fujifilm Fujinon GF23mm F4 R LM WR @ 23 mm (18 mm in 35mm).
Always interested in building processes. Just out of curiousity; Is this a sort of compressed plywood. It doesn't look very solid to me. Do they put insulation on top of it and plaster it afterwards?

k-hawinkler

Always interested in building processes. Just out of curiousity; Is this a sort of compressed plywood. It doesn't look very solid to me. Do they put insulation on top of it and plaster it afterwards?
Thanks Michiel.

Typical residential construction around here utilizes 2x4 studs on 16” center or 2x6 studs on 24” center. At the outside they use Oriented Strand Board (OSB), a slightly different engineered material to Plywood sheets. At the inside they use drywall/sheet rock, called Rigipsplatten in Germany. The void in between the studs and sheets (3.5 or 5.5” deep) is filled with insulation material, typically glass fiber wool or nowadays sprayed on foam. The outside OSB material of this wall is then covered with a fine wire mesh and plaster. The inside drywall gets a thin granulated white paint.

That seems to do the job around here, about the same latitude as Casablanca in Morocco, with an altitude of 5000 t0 8000 feet for settlements, mountains up to 13000 feet. Typically here houses don’t have basements.

I hope this explanation helps. :salute:

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Michiel.

Typical residential construction around here utilizes 2x4 studs on 16” center or 2x6 studs on 24” center. At the outside they use Oriented Strand Board (OSB), a slightly different engineered material to Plywood sheets. At the inside they use drywall/sheet rock, called Rigipsplatten in Germany. The void in between the studs and sheets (3.5 or 5.5” deep) is filled with insulation material, typically glass fiber wool or nowadays sprayed on foam. The outside OSB material of this wall is then covered with a fine wire mesh and plaster. The inside drywall gets a thin granulated white paint.

That seems to do the job around here, about the same latitude as Casablanca in Morocco, with an altitude of 5000 t0 8000 feet for settlements, mountains up to 13000 feet. Typically here houses don’t have basements.

I hope this explanation helps. :salute:
Ah thanks for the insights on this! Interesting. Those OSB plates must have been made a sort of waterproof otherwise it would be woodpulp after one rainshower. Funny how these tine pieces of metal stick out from the concrete foundation probably to fix the studs. Probably they fix the studs a bit more with iron angles to the concrete against getting blown away in a storm, because the whole construction seems to be relativly light.

k-hawinkler

Ah thanks for the insights on this! Interesting. Those OSB plates must have been made a sort of waterproof otherwise it would be woodpulp after one rainshower. Funny how these tine pieces of metal stick out from the concrete foundation probably to fix the studs. Probably they fix the studs a bit more with iron angles to the concrete against getting blown away in a storm, because the whole construction seems to be relativly light.
Well the studs simply carry the downward load of the building. The studs get nailed to the baseboard that is ankered with bolts to the concrete foundation. The OSB sheets are nailed to the studs and the baseboard. Shear forces are absorbed in the OSB and drywall sheets. Head on wind pressure is absorbed by the base plates, and in part via the ceiling by outside and inside walls perpendicular to a particular outside wall, no?

The residential buildings seem pretty sturdy, only destroyed by hurricanes or tornados. Luckily for us those weather phenomena don’t occur here in the Rocky Mountains.

Hurricanes, in the northern hemisphere moving from east to west and from south to north, occur occasionally along the gulf of Mexico or the east coast. Tornadoes primarily in the vast north-south expanse of the Great Plains between the Appalachian and a Rocky Mountains.

Moisture is indeed a concern for OSB boards in particular the board edges, although there are different grades. Here in the deserts and even the mountains of New Mexico we don’t have a lot of precipitation. Humidity, especially in the Winter, is very low. Snow and ice here primarily simply evaporates and does not tend to collect in puddles of water.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Well frustratingly this is solved but not solved!!

36 hours ago I gave up in disgust after making repeated changes to settings, checking whether the Interval Timer setting was available...and all to no avail. I checked for the last time and shut the camera off.

Today, having mentally prepared myself to join the fray once more, I turned the camera on and the Interval Timer setting...was available. I don't know what the last thing I changed before I shut the camera off was, but I do know I changed batteries after I shut it off.

It's available, it works, however with shutter at 1/8s and interval at 1s the camera can't keep up with the write speed - JPG and uncompressed RAW. It would cycle 3 shots, then pause, then 3 shots, pause...The card is a 300 MB/s UHS II. I changed it to 3s interval and it just keeps up.
Try it with a full battery vs. one nearing empty. Some functions, like firmware update, won't work if the camera thinks the battery isn't charged enough. Just a wild guess...

M

Pelorus

Thanks Matt, I'm not sure what the situation was, the battery was pretty full before I changed it. Anyway, it works now :thumbup:

Try it with a full battery vs. one nearing empty. Some functions, like firmware update, won't work if the camera thinks the battery isn't charged enough. Just a wild guess...

M

k-hawinkler

Mirador White Rock 3
3 New Streets : La Vista DrConfianza StMirador Blvd

La Vista Dr enters the Mirador Subdivision in the middle from NM 4, crossing first Confianza St, and then connecting Mirador Blvd at the backend.

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro @ 120 mm (95 mm in 35mm), f/11, 1/125 s, ISO 100.

As a street name Confianza St seems an interesting inspired choice. It means:

Confianza (English: trust) is a Latin American form of mutual reciprocity. In the context of interpersonal relationships, its presence indicates that both parties recognize a mutual duty to honor their relationship by extending specially favorable treatment.

La Vista Dr also seems appropriately named. This is the view down Confianza St, the snow capped mountain to the right is Truchas Peak, a 13,000-der.

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro @ 120 mm (95 mm in 35mm), f/18, 1/125 s, ISO 100.

Last edited:

Kokos

That's a scary experience, K-H.
Glad I didn't try updating my GF250 ... :shocked:
Are there more reports like this that you know of ?

TIA

PS So far I only updated my GF23. Update: and a few minutes ago my GF32-64.
About GFX 50R.
Have anyone experienced lens/software distortion of that kind that everything is wrong and images completely destroyed? That happened to me recently. After my trip to northernmost and easternmost part of Norway (towns Vardø and Vadsø), I looked thorough all the pictures briefly in Bridge, just to find out the about every 4-5th image is completely distorted. Also some other pictures that seems OK are not good, as in some cases the vertical lines are sharp while the horizontals looks out of focus. In other cases parts og images are unsharp.
I bought my camera late in 2018, it must have been one of the first, but havn't had any problems by now. Have never heard of updating lenses, but even without updating, the lens should perform, maybe without the newest features. Or one should have been warned that without an update one risks distortion.
Not sure if I manage to upload the images...

Knorp

About GFX 50R.
Have anyone experienced lens/software distortion of that kind that everything is wrong and images completely destroyed? That happened to me recently. After my trip to northernmost and easternmost part of Norway (towns Vardø and Vadsø), I looked thorough all the pictures briefly in Bridge, just to find out the about every 4-5th image is completely distorted. Also some other pictures that seems OK are not good, as in some cases the vertical lines are sharp while the horizontals looks out of focus. In other cases parts og images are unsharp.
I bought my camera late in 2018, it must have been one of the first, but havn't had any problems by now. Have never heard of updating lenses, but even without updating, the lens should perform, maybe without the newest features. Or one should have been warned that without an update one risks distortion.
Not sure if I manage to upload the images...
Hi there 'Kokos',

uploading a few samples would greatly help to diagnose your issue.
However, are you sure your memory card is not the culprit here ? Try another card and see if the issue persists.

Best regards.

Kokos

Hi there 'Kokos',

uploading a few samples would greatly help to diagnose your issue.
However, are you sure your memory card is not the culprit here ? Try another card and see if the issue persists.

Best regards.
I think I used 2 different memory cards

Kokos

That link is not going to work, Jiri.
Try 'Attachments' (paperclip symbol) instead to upload your image.

Krgds.
Whatever I try, it doesn't work. Strange, the image is only of 4,4 Mb. It is the upper line in the menu? the same symbol as in mails? Because the symbol bellow, insert image, they want me to upload image from URL, which I don't know how to do.
I find this system confusing...