The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUJIFILM GFX 50S, 50R, 100, etc. ... Peculiarities

k-hawinkler

Just a few thoughts regarding my GFX 100. This is my second camera - the last one was purchased a year ago and had numerous issues. I returned it within 2 days of owning it due to its peculiarities. I received one of the first bodies and it oddly had an image count of 3001 for the first image I took which was my first indication of something going awry.

Anyway..... this camera is very different and better. Most importantly it marries well with my Actus and lets me use lenses from 72mm to 180mm in portrait position. I have come to like this limitation, which forces me to shift left and right to achieve a 3X4 or 2X3 image, because it gives me an advantage of having a 'slightly' wider lens which would not be available in landscape position. This is due to the fact that the sensor size is increased due to the shifting resulting in an effective field of view change.

My 72mm - which is the shortest lens I can use due to flange distance limitations - turns into a 54mm lens in 4X3 format. Just a little bit of wide angle but it's really appreciated. I also have rise movements which allow for verticals to remain straight.

All in all, so far, I'm very happy with this purchase.

Cheers....

Victor B

Many thanks Victor.
I am curious what your combined system GFX 100 / Actus looks like?
Also what kind of images do you produce with it?
TIA.

vjbelle

K-H..... This camera will be used mostly for landscape/cityscape photography. It's really just an extension of my other cameras. However it does it all while my other cameras are more limited - even my Sony 7RM4 which cannot focus stack which is a feature I really like.

As I mentioned because of the size of the camera I am forced to use it only in portrait position on the Actus. There is an adapter/extension made by Cambo that I could get but that would eliminate the use of my 72mm Digitar which would not be able to reach infinity. It also would modify the Actus to the point of making it a single camera use system which defeats the original design.

So.... to get a 4X3 image I need to shift 13mm LR but all of my image circles can easily do this. The resulting file is large (15530 X 11648) - 181MP which provides lots of room for cropping to either 3X2 or 16X9 plus I get room for 'Rise' my most used movement. The Sensor size changes to 70X44 which means I have a crop factor of 0.75. I can also shift 17mm LR which gives me a 3X2 image (17472 X 11648) - 204MP. Sensor size becomes 78X44 with a crop factor of 0.69. The image circle on my 72mm is only 90mm which would probably limit rise for 3X2 but because I've gained so much height with the camera in portrait position it really shouldn't matter. All of my other lenses have image circles of 110/120mm with room for lots of movements.

The sensor works very well with my LF lenses mimicking my Phase 4150.

FWIW the camera fits vertically into a ThinkTank Airport Commuter bag. I've been a big fan of ThinkTank bags and this one is very light and comfortable.

I'm very pleased so far..... lots of fun.

Regards,

Victor B

Quick iPhone image.....

Attachments

vjbelle

Just a quick follow up...... The EVF and LCD are actually 'Better' than my Sony. What really sets them apart is the ability of the Fuji to maintain detail of bright portions of a scene. In contrast the Sony will show those bright areas almost blown out and at times actually blown out. The colors are also more saturated/pleasing.

In contrast to the 50s it's a major leap forward both in clarity and color. I always liked the 50s files but found that using magnification for manual focus required a slight learning curve.....

The one thing I wish the Fuji had is the ability to drag on the LCD screen. I can do that on my Sony and it's the only way to move things around on a Phase back. If that ability is there someone please point me to it.

Regards,

Victor B

pegelli

Just a quick follow up...... The EVF and LCD are actually 'Better' than my Sony. What really sets them apart is the ability of the Fuji to maintain detail of bright portions of a scene. In contrast the Sony will show those bright areas almost blown out and at times actually blown out. The colors are also more saturated/pleasing.
Victor, have you tried to change the "creative style setting" of your camera. By dropping contrast one or two notches (and increasing saturation if you want more vivid colours) you get a "better" LCD/EVF since it emulates this creative setting. I assume you're shooting raw and setting it up like this has no effect on the raw file generated, only the jpg if you would record that.

vjbelle

I shoot Raw. I just assumed that I'm seeing what the sensor was generating and it didn't have any under the hood influences. It would be nice/helpful to at least eliminate the blown out areas of a high contrast scene.

I'll try your suggestion.....

Thanks much....

Victor B

vjbelle

Pegelli...... thanks again for the information. I followed your suggestions and it really did the trick. I really like the 7RM4 and even though I have a GFX100 I just couldn't part with my Sony. It's extremely versatile and 'light'.

Victor B

pegelli

That's great Victor, glad I could share a little useful knowledge in return for all the good information I read here from a lot of members.

vjbelle

FWIW..... in my post above I wondered about and wanted a way to pan the image on the LCD of my GFX100 with my finger. Well, it turns out that it is possible. During live view you can tap on the top, bottom, sides to move the screen in steps. Not like a Phase DB but faster than using the focus lever. In playback there is full pan capability (drag with finger) just like a Phase DB.

It pays to re-read the manual:thumbup:

Regards,

Victor B

k-hawinkler

A reminder of the layout of the Mirador White Rock subdivision.

Mirador White Rock 3
3 New Streets : La Vista DrConfianza StMirador Blvd

La Vista Dr enters the Mirador Subdivision in the middle from NM 4, crossing first Confianza St, and then connecting Mirador Blvd at the backend.
Here is a view of the intersection of La Vista Dr and Mirador Blvd from half a year ago.

The following view shows that at that time only a few houses were under construction at the lower end of Mirador Blvd.

RayLee HomesMirador White Rock 2

Now the view from above where the entrance street connects with the second street to the right in the subdivision.

Nowadays that intersection looks like this.

The craftsmen have been busy during the lockdown and have already built or started building houses in every lot along this section of Mirador Blvd.

k-hawinkler

Auto FOCUS BKT

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujifilm Fujinon GF120mm F4 R LM OIS WR Macro @ 120 mm (95 mm in 35mm), f/9, 1.3s, ISO 100, Date Taken 2020-07-10 11:13:22, Stacked with Helicon Focus from 19 images. Method=B (R=8,S=4).

I used Helicon Focus version 7.6.3 and the Helicon Focus - Plugin COHeliconFocusPlugin-3.coplugin for Capture One in macOS Catalina version 10.15.5.

I also used Back Button Focussing of the Fuji GFX 50S to set the points A and B required for Auto FOCUS BKT and ES with 0 s delay between shots.

Knorp

I used Helicon Focus version 7.6.3 and the Helicon Focus - Plugin COHeliconFocusPlugin-3.coplugin for Capture One in macOS Catalina version 10.15.5.
Hi K-H, I did find the Helicon Focus v7.6.3 and this plug-in COHeliconFocusPlugin-2.coplugin.
Where did you get that 3 version from ?

TIA

Krgds.

k-hawinkler

Hi K-H, I did find the Helicon Focus v7.6.3 and this plug-in COHeliconFocusPlugin-2.coplugin.
Where did you get that 3 version from ?

TIA

Krgds.

Thanks Bart. Good catch.
When downloading the file name must have changed.
In the Capture One plugin preferences I get:

Helicon Focus 1.0.1
by Helicon Soft Ltd.

Sorry about that.
I cleaned up my Download area.
Now when freshly downloading I get this file name:

COHeliconFocusPlugin.coplugin

:facesmack: :grin: :salute:

Knorp

Thanks Bart. Good catch.
When downloading the file name must have changed.
In the Capture One plugin preferences I get:

Helicon Focus 1.0.1
by Helicon Soft Ltd.

Sorry about that.
I cleaned up my Download area.
Now when freshly downloading I get this file name:

COHeliconFocusPlugin.coplugin

:facesmack: :grin: :salute:
Many thanks, K-H !

Speaking of 'Good catch' ... and I thought I had a version 2 ... :ROTFL:
Turned out I too had somewhere deep down hidden in my Downloads section an old version, probably that 1.0.0
Now I also have the 1.0.1

All the very best.

k-hawinkler

Many thanks, K-H !

Speaking of 'Good catch' ... and I thought I had a version 2 ... :ROTFL:
Turned out I too had somewhere deep down hidden in my Downloads section an old version, probably that 1.0.0
Now I also have the 1.0.1

All the very best.

Yup! :ROTFL: :LOL: :ROTFL: :LOL:
That’s what I assumed but saw no need to point out. :salute:
Thanks for your confirmation Bart. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

The important thing is; we now have a working version in Catalina. :thumbup: :grin:

k-hawinkler

Mirador White Rock 4

The following images show moving up along Mirador Blvd from the low end, where it connects to NM 4, all the way up to where it connects to La Vista Dr.

Here is the view looking back down Mirador Blvd from La Vista Dr the previous day (weekend) when no workmen were around.

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujifilm Fujinon GF23mm F4 R LM WR @ 23 mm (18 mm in 35mm).

vjbelle

FWIW I use both Helicon and Zerene for focus stacking. Each one seems to have a strength when the other has a weakness. I recommend both.

Victor B

k-hawinkler

FWIW I use both Helicon and Zerene for focus stacking. Each one seems to have a strength when the other has a weakness. I recommend both.

Victor B

Many thanks Victor.

Although I have not used Zerene so far,
reading through their documentation,
I got the same impression.

Which of the 2, Helicon or Zerene,
is more labor intensive for what kind of motives
in your experience?

vjbelle

The workflow is the same for each software vendor. It's very automatic with both software versions. I have used both for extensive retouching and they are both very intuitive and mimic each other. But when one gives an anomaly the other may not.

If you are into stacking then get both......

Victor B

k-hawinkler

San Ildefonso Pottery Replica

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF32-64mm F4 R LM WR @ 64 mm (51 mm in 35mm), f/5.6, 1/180 s, ISO 100.

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF32-64mm F4 R LM WR @ 64 mm (51 mm in 35mm), f/5.6, 1/600 s, ISO100, Stacked from 7 images. Method=B (R=8,S=4), Helicon Focus.

Fuji GFX 50S + Fujinon GF32-64mm F4 R LM WR @ 64 mm (51 mm in 35mm), f/11, 1/170 s, ISO100, Stacked from 3 images. Method=B (R=8,S=4), Helicon Focus, cropped.

Last edited: