The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-T3 Vs GFX 50S IQ same out of camera using jpg

rollsman44

I am semi retired and would continue to shoot portraits and Family group shots and use it for my personal use
I dont shoot that many jobs anymore ( Now 73). I do use it on a bracket with flash and with a diffuser and OCF as well
Thats pretty much it. Lets just say I would like to treat myself for all the years I have been shooting. Thanks

Last edited:

gnuyork

I'm confused. Are you trying to make an apples to apples comparison to a 26 MP APS-C sensor vs a 50MP Medium Format sensor?

biglouis

I had the GFX50s and I now have the X-T3. There is no comparison. The GFX50s is far superior in terms of IQ at the pixel level. You'd expect that with a 50mpx bayer sensor versus the 26mpx BSI trans sensor in the X-T3.

The reason I no longer have the GFX50S is simple. Weight. Although it is far lighter than most MF digital cameras it was too heavy for me (I'm in my sixties and I have a weak back).

For all practical purposes I achieve excellent results with the X-T3. It is just the GFX50S gave me 'excellenter' results at the cost of aching back muscles. Also, given that the lenses for the MF camera weigh a lot I could only travel on foot with the body and one lens at a time, whereas with the X-T3 I can manage the body and 3 lenses with no problem.

If you are doing mainly studio work or you are prepared to lug a heavy camera the GFX50S or 50R is a superb camera. I'd recommend the 50S because you can attach the tilt swivel adapter to the EVF and you have a digital Hasselblad for shooting from the waist.

Just my two cents no warranties implied or liabilities accepted in my advice :)

LouisB

rdeloe

Given your situation, have you considered an X-H1? The price has fallen through the floor, and it's an outstanding camera. Image stabilization in the camera is very helpful.

Don Libby

I just picked up a X-T3 for a lightweight walk around camera using a single 34mm f/1.4 lens. Nothing serious just in case camera. When I want more serious work I'll depend on my GFX 50 which I've had several years now.