Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The X-Pro3

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The X-Pro3

I think this was a very fair and interesting Review of the XPro3 - worth watching.

made me prepared to at least test the thing and see how I feel in use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJ5o7ysXkI
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Went to an event and handled the X-Pro 3 in Dura Black. Beautiful finish. Lovely camera. But I came away disappointed. I’m sure I could learn to adapt to the hidden LCD but it just seems like an “all loss and no gain” situation to me, with zero advantage in the way the LCD works. The simulated film box end is just silly (unless your hipster quotient is very high), and when in “info mode” this small display is not very visible in even the ambient room light of the shop I was in. Outside it was invisible for all practical purposes.

The change in the EVF is significant “on paper” but visually a very small change from my Pro 2. The change in the OVF is nice for glasses wearers (that’s me), but the other changes re framing lines is not good. For the 16mm there are four little orange “corner arrows” that are not so great. So, for me, the OVF changes are at best a “push” and in some ways a net loss compared to my Pro 2. Before actually handling one I had firm plans to “upgrade” to the Pro 3. It is now, sadly, off my radar altogether.

I love Fuji and sincerely hope this camera is a success and that there “really is” a market for what it offers. For me, it would be too many compromises to tolerate for no practical gain to warrant the expense. I suspect that many/most of the firmware upgrades will find their way to other models with the same sensor/processor combination, so that also is not enough to compensate for the very strange design choices Fuji made.

At the risk of being flippant, I think Fuji should have named this the X-Hipster_Jewelry 3. It really is beautiful in the Dura finish.

Rand
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rand47 View Post
    Went to an event and handled the X-Pro 3 in Dura Black. Beautiful finish. Lovely camera. But I came away disappointed. Iím sure I could learn to adapt to the hidden LCD but it just seems like an ďall loss and no gainĒ situation to me, with zero advantage in the way the LCD works. The simulated film box end is just silly (unless your hipster quotient is very high), and when in ďinfo modeĒ this small display is not very visible in even the ambient room light of the shop I was in. Outside it was invisible for all practical purposes.

The change in the EVF is significant ďon paperĒ but visually a very small change from my Pro 2. The change in the OVF is nice for glasses wearers (thatís me), but the other changes re framing lines is not good. For the 16mm there are four little orange ďcorner arrowsĒ that are not so great. So, for me, the OVF changes are at best a ďpushĒ and in some ways a net loss compared to my Pro 2. Before actually handling one I had firm plans to ďupgradeĒ to the Pro 3. It is now, sadly, off my radar altogether.

I love Fuji and sincerely hope this camera is a success and that there ďreally isĒ a market for what it offers. For me, it would be too many compromises to tolerate for no practical gain to warrant the expense. I suspect that many/most of the firmware upgrades will find their way to other models with the same sensor/processor combination, so that also is not enough to compensate for the very strange design choices Fuji made.

At the risk of being flippant, I think Fuji should have named this the X-Hipster_Jewelry 3. It really is beautiful in the Dura finish.

Rand
    My opinion is that the irony of this camera is that the targeted market is probably not the professional but rather the enthusiast market (which includes professionals that may want this as a personal camera).
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

I very enthousiastically preordered and will soon receive it.
    Should have waited longer!!
    I will miss the ability to magnfy the OV when using a lens with a longer focal length and the frame becomes too small.
    Of course you can always switch to the electronic. But I do admit my M viewfinder frame with a 90 was really tiny, let alone with a 135mm
    maurice da silva solis

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rand47 View Post
    Went to an event and handled the X-Pro 3 in Dura Black. Beautiful finish. Lovely camera. But I came away disappointed. I’m sure I could learn to adapt to the hidden LCD but it just seems like an “all loss and no gain” situation to me, with zero advantage in the way the LCD works. The simulated film box end is just silly (unless your hipster quotient is very high), and when in “info mode” this small display is not very visible in even the ambient room light of the shop I was in. Outside it was invisible for all practical purposes.

The change in the EVF is significant “on paper” but visually a very small change from my Pro 2. The change in the OVF is nice for glasses wearers (that’s me), but the other changes re framing lines is not good. For the 16mm there are four little orange “corner arrows” that are not so great. So, for me, the OVF changes are at best a “push” and in some ways a net loss compared to my Pro 2. Before actually handling one I had firm plans to “upgrade” to the Pro 3. It is now, sadly, off my radar altogether.

I love Fuji and sincerely hope this camera is a success and that there “really is” a market for what it offers. For me, it would be too many compromises to tolerate for no practical gain to warrant the expense. I suspect that many/most of the firmware upgrades will find their way to other models with the same sensor/processor combination, so that also is not enough to compensate for the very strange design choices Fuji made.

Rand
    People criticise leica - but they NEVER EVER EVER make the mistake of trying to force their user base into using their cameras 'only in this way'. What a stupid thing Fuji have done to an iconic design - dumb it down and make it less user friendly but emphasize 'titaaaanium' and paint colours...sorry Fuji if I want camera bling Leica does a much better job at it.

end rant.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    People criticise leica - but they NEVER EVER EVER make the mistake of trying to force their user base into using their cameras 'only in this way'. What a stupid thing Fuji have done to an iconic design - dumb it down and make it less user friendly but emphasize 'titaaaanium' and paint colours...sorry Fuji if I want camera bling Leica does a much better job at it.

end rant.
    I think this was Fujiís take on the Leica M-D lines... except they hid the screen versus omitting it altogether. I think the camera is getting a mixed reaction. Seems that most that have used it understand it a bit better though many still donít order it. Seems like most that havenít touched it dislike the idea/concept of it.

I donít have a dog in the fight either way. Itís interesting but not for me.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iiiNelson View Post
    I think this was Fujiís take on the Leica M-D lines... except they hid the screen versus omitting it altogether. I think the camera is getting a mixed reaction. Seems that most that have used it understand it a bit better though many still donít order it. Seems like most that havenít touched it dislike the idea/concept of it.

I donít have a dog in the fight either way. Itís interesting but not for me.
    I think Leica (CL) and Sony 6 series - have just been given a massive boost - by Fuji.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an X-Pro2, I've had it about a year and only 4K clicks. Not the cameras fault the number is low. It's the way I shoot. The 2 is my first EVF mirrorless camera. Before I bought I had rented over the years the X-E2, X100T, X100F and an X-Pro2. I have Leica M's for two decades and I thought I'd use the OVF much more than I do. Turns out I seldom use it. I have a decade plus of FF DSLR use where I've never ever set a camera to display an exposure as soon as I've shot it. I review an exposure just to check it. When I've done that I shoot. I also hate having a screen flash on just out of view into my face every time I shoot.

I bought the X-H1 as the sale price is too low to pass on. Now THAT is an EVF. So much better than the 2 and I guess exactly what the X-T3 offers. The X-Pro3 is on paper even better.
    The XH is my first ever camera with tilting screen, IBIS and a large EVF. I can't see how anyone thinks it is a large camera but my other bag carries a D4S/D3 Nikon. Those are large.

I could completely live with the display of the X-Pro3. D-pad? Sure I'd adjust. I shoot more than fiddle. If the X-Pro3 AF gets closer to Pro DSLR speed and accuracy the alone would do it for me. A finder as good or better than the X-H1 would be great. I'm not leaving Nikon, I could after all just get a Z body but the point of Fuji for me is size reduction. I have the 23/35/50 cron selection. It's all a joy to carry and the point is I DO carry it.

There may be a low click mint Pro2 for sale soon. I haven't used it since the H arrived.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Today I just had another spin with the X-Pro3 at Photo&Adventure in Vienna. This time at least the camera worked (my first try 2 weeks ago was with a non functioning OVF/EVF) but the booth personal (Fuji) was still very ignorant.

Anyway finally we could together get the X-Pro3 to work and here are my first impressions:

1) the AF works nicely with OVF as well as EVF and is displayed in both modes very correctly.
    2) the dura buck coating is not as bad WRT smears as a lot of people reported, simply wipe it off with a soft tissue and it is ok - also if you have eaten pommel with your hands and then touch this (or any) camera the surface will be smeared
    3) camera is overall very reactive and easy to hold, even with open screen
    4) camera overall is pretty light, with F2 primes a real joy to hold and use
    5) EVF is pretty good I would say, but looking 10 minutes after through the EM5.3 EVF (also OLED but only 2.4MP) I still liked the EM5.3 better - that should tell something

Will I finally buy one? I think not for now, as I am completely out of the Fuji X ecosystem, and even if I would be in I would have to think pretty hard about it. Maybe better wait for the X-H2?

Great camera overall, but maybe not for me and my type of use ....
    Last edited by ptomsu; 10th November 2019 at 13:37.
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know I don't think I've seen anyone mention that perhaps one could just turn off the rear display of their X-Pro2 just to see if the world ends. Is it just too easy?

I did see a tongue in cheek Youtube where the guy gaffer taped a piece of cardboard over his rear display. Seems a tad extreme.

Neil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Leica (CL) and Sony 6 series - have just been given a massive boost - by Fuji.
    Maybe but I’d more quickly assume that this would drive people to the XT3 if they were invested in Fuji already.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe but Iíd more quickly assume that this would drive people to the XT3 if they were invested in Fuji already.
    I agree, I don't think a lot of people will jump ship if one new body comes out that isn't to their liking. Especially since it doesn't change anything to the gear they already have (and presumably use and like)
    My Pics

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having an X Pro2 and three lenses (and an XF10), I have no incentive to get a Sony or Leica APS-C camera. First, the Sony and Leica cameras do not blow my hair back at all: I bought my X Pro2 for the optical finder, so Sony and Leica EVF cameras are not a draw (the X Pros also have a built in EVF, so I have that option as well). Also, I have not seen a decrease in the quality of my images since the release of the X Pro3 (or any other Fuji camera, for that matter). And to be honest, the Sony and Leica lens offering are not that appealing and certainly not at Leica prices. Personally, I think Fuji has the best APS-C system on the market to date, not only in terms of quality, but also choice. (And if I did like the Sony or Leica cameras, Fuji has EVF cameras with basically the same style meaning I don't have to buy new lenses.)

After seeing all the changes made to the X Pro3, and some of them are good, it has certain design decisions that do not appeal to me (the flip screen I am actually ambivalent about and I do not understand the hostility). Certainly, no other manufacturer has a camera like the X Pros, regardless of the model, so there is no other option available. The fact that I really like my Fuji APS-C system and it continues to give me excellent images, I am uncertain what I am actually missing.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

Only one Leica and one Sony cameras I have owned, and I was not super impressed by either.
    I currently shoot with three Fuji mirrorless, and will continue with Fuji. Why? Lenses, ergonomics, price, and commitment to users.

The X-Pro3 will find a home in my bag, but I usually wait a while after a camera hits the market.

I am upgrading from the X-Pro2, so I have a pretty good idea what to expect.
    My X-Pro2 will be IR modified and the IR Fuji camera I currently shoot with will be sold.

Such a great assortment of gear we have for choosing these days!

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Photo Blog: darrlene.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe but Iíd more quickly assume that this would drive people to the XT3 if they were invested in Fuji already.

The only reason I exited Leica M was I have become tired of 'compulsory' manual focus - simple as that. I am also aware of just how good if not better both TL and L mount lenses are compared to M. So (liek I usually do) I have been comparing Fuji X V Leica CL for my happy snap purposes since they are both small format - looky look fellas - the CL is a LOT smaller even!

Here is my CL and XT-3 side by side - note the viewfinder on the CL is on the left hand side of the CL body V viewfinder on XT-3 ( great camera btw) is closer to center than left. What I liked about the M series and do like about the CL series camera bodies is the viewfinder position and excellent viewfinders - viewfinder in XT-3 is great no problem - i just prefer the viewfinder position to be in 'rangefinder style' position - left of body - but not to be dumbed down.

All I expected from XPro-3 was viewfinder/Chip/ to be same as XT-3 - I could even cope with useless screen mode - but viewfinder isn't as good as XT-3 anbd I am one of those types who think a viewfinder experience is the first thing I look at when assessing camera. Same reason I didn't pick up a GFXR - love the rangefinder style - didn't like the EVF.

Ok that is it from me on this topic - apologies in advance if my preferences set came across as some criticism of Fuji in general - the reverse is true for me - I have Fuji love in abundance.

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I exited Leica M was I have become tired of 'compulsory' manual focus - simple as that. I am also aware of just how good if not better both TL and L mount lenses are compared to M. So (liek I usually do) I have been comparing Fuji X V Leica CL for my happy snap purposes since they are both small format - looky look fellas - the CL is a LOT smaller even!

Here is my CL and XT-3 side by side - note the viewfinder on the CL is on the left hand side of the CL body V viewfinder on XT-3 ( great camera btw) is closer to center than left. What I liked about the M series and do like about the CL series camera bodies is the viewfinder position and excellent viewfinders - viewfinder in XT-3 is great no problem - i just prefer the viewfinder position to be in 'rangefinder style' position - left of body - but not to be dumbed down.

All I expected from XPro-3 was viewfinder/Chip/ to be same as XT-3 - I could even cope with useless screen mode - but viewfinder isn't as good as XT-3 anbd I am one of those types who think a viewfinder experience is the first thing I look at when assessing camera. Same reason I didn't pick up a GFXR - love the rangefinder style - didn't like the EVF.

Ok that is it from me on this topic - apologies in advance if my preferences set came across as some criticism of Fuji in general - the reverse is true for me - I have Fuji love in abundance.
    On the EVF/OVF side of this topic I must say from my small amount of using/testing the X-Pro3 I found the EVF pretty good, definitely good enough for me, and I am usually very picky in that regards. What really surprised me though was that the EVF of the Olympus Em5.3 (which I tested a few minutes after the X-Pro3) was at least as good IMO as the one of the X-Pro3 although only 2.4MP compared 3.6MP of the X-Pro3.

So from the viewfinder point I would definitely not skip the X-Pro3. Just my 5c ....
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not disagreeing with your preferences. I just donít believe most people that are Fuji X buyers (as a primary system) are cross shopping with Leica. Iím sure thereís a small minority that do/will but theyíre the exception.

I didnít take your criticism as anti-Fuji at all. You were simply expressing your concerns. Itís all fair game. I tried a GFX R the other day and disliked it. I understand.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im not disagreeing with your preferences. I just donít believe most people that are Fuji X buyers (as a primary system) are cross shopping with Leica. Iím sure thereís a small minority that do/will but theyíre the exception.

I didnít take your criticism as anti-Fuji at all. You were simply expressing your concerns. Itís all fair game. I tried a GFX R the other day and disliked it. I understand.
    Nelson - you are too much of a gentleman to ever disagree with someone's personal preferences - I didnt mean my post to convey that impression. Re people switching from Fuji to Leica - hahahah I totally agree - very little chance of that for all sorts of reasons. However there are people who (like me) are very right eyed biased and really like the viewfinder on the left end of a camera body (what marketers are calling 'rangefinder style' ) rather than around midway - so in film dats I p[referred to shoot with XPan/Mamiya711 and Leica M

these days for mirrorless the choices are pretty limited - gets down to XPro-3 / Leica CL or M and Sony 6 series. I will try out an XPro-3 but I suspect that I won't be prepared to accept an EVF that isn't as good as the XT-3.

Getting more 'precise' with my concerns on EVF : The OVF 'hybrid viewfinder' gives a magnification of .52X, sorry I can't work with that kind of view...and if one wishes to employ manual focus- really on focus by wire lenses? too hard for me...or maybe my typical use for snap shotters is - snap shot as in fast.
    Meanwhile - the EVF has the same number of pixels as XT-3 but magnification is .66X V Fuji XT-3 at .75X.
    Serious differences in actual viewfinder and therefore shooting experience.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nelson - you are too much of a gentleman to ever disagree with someone's personal preferences - I didnt mean my post to convey that impression. Re people switching from Fuji to Leica - hahahah I totally agree - very little chance of that for all sorts of reasons. However there are people who (like me) are very right eyed biased and really like the viewfinder on the left end of a camera body (what marketers are calling 'rangefinder style' ) rather than around midway - so in film dats I p[referred to shoot with XPan/Mamiya711 and Leica M

these days for mirrorless the choices are pretty limited - gets down to XPro-3 / Leica CL or M and Sony 6 series. I will try out an XPro-3 but I suspect that I won't be prepared to accept an EVF that isn't as good as the XT-3.

Getting more 'precise' with my concerns on EVF : The OVF 'hybrid viewfinder' gives a magnification of .52X, sorry I can't work with that kind of view...and if one wishes to employ manual focus- really on focus by wire lenses? too hard for me...or maybe my typical use for snap shotters is - snap shot as in fast.
    Meanwhile - the EVF has the same number of pixels as XT-3 but magnification is .66X V Fuji XT-3 at .75X.
    Well thatís a real physiological issue. Like I eluded to, thatís a fair observation and reasoning for wanting to shift to Leica or Sony. If cost isnít an issue, and itís a backup kit I believe that Leica might be a better option than Sony but if you shoot Sony FE then the APS-C bodies are a natural option for consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm like you Pete, I prefer a "rangefinder" style viewing experience - a window on the left hand end of the body. I'm looking - literally - for something to stuff in a jacket pocket. I had a look at the XE-3, which I think is the forgotten Fuji in a way. It's seriously small and light - 335g or something. However the VF experience isn't the greatest and there's a noticeable lag switching between screen and viewfinder and back again. With a small prime it absolutely fits the bill and is surprisingly capable. I just don't know about the whole VF thing.

Does anyone have user experience with the XE-3?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

While not having held or seen an xp3 in person, and going by what I have viewed and read:

My xp2 serves me fine. I want to pick it up and photograph something. Can’t say what it is, just fits my crappy way of shooting.

I am not into landscapes that much.And the few I do, the xp2 suffices.

I have access, when it comes in from the cold!, to the xt3 and have used it. It’s tech is wasted on me.
    The xh1 is back from repair, except some cosmetics, which I didn’t want to pay for. Wasted purchase, for me.

I Dont see the benefit of a xp3 to justify its purchase, for me.

But I wish it and its buyers all success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    I'm like you Pete, I prefer a "rangefinder" style viewing experience - a window on the left hand end of the body. I'm looking - literally - for something to stuff in a jacket pocket. I had a look at the XE-3, which I think is the forgotten Fuji in a way. It's seriously small and light - 335g or something. However the VF experience isn't the greatest and there's a noticeable lag switching between screen and viewfinder and back again. With a small prime it absolutely fits the bill and is surprisingly capable. I just don't know about the whole VF thing.

Yep
    https://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/35...tml#post762337
    a very fine camera, very mature compared to size.
    I use it too little, but I won't sell, dreaming on using it more, with that magical 18/2 on..
    its just as a pocket-XT2/3 to me...
    perhaps I sell both the XT2 and XT3 and keep the X-E3 with just the 90/2(the purest-magic-drawing-lens-at-all), 16/1.4 the 18/2 - and perhaps the tiny pancake 27/2.8 when it shall be nearest-possible-pocket-camera (and you really don't want to bring anything..)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting you bring the XE-3 up Pelorus - may be worth looking at as a small compact and left side viewfinder option ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Yep
    https://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/35...tml#post762337
    a very fine camera, very mature compared to size.
    I use it too little, but I won't sell, dreaming on using it more, with that magical 18/2 on..
    its just as a pocket-XT2/3 to me...
    perhaps I sell both the XT2 and XT3 and keep the X-E3 with just the 90/2(the purest-magic-drawing-lens-at-all), 16/1.4 the 18/2 - and perhaps the tiny pancake 27/2.8 when it shall be nearest-possible-pocket-camera (and you really don't want to bring anything..)
    When I had the Xp1, I only had two native lenses with it for a long time: the 2/18 and the 1.4/35. Would buy them again if I ever go back to the XP world. I noticed that this was probably the camera I used the most for street, due to its optical view finder and the autofocus. I still like the concept, but I don't really want (again) another system, and I am not prepared yet to sell anything. Still got my X100F, which sits nicely between the 18 and 35, got a central shutter and a flash attached.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this was a very fair and interesting Review of the XPro3 - worth watching.

made me prepared to at least test the thing and see how I feel in use...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkJ5o7ysXkI
    you may like this one, too ....
    My Gallery
    Instagram

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photon42 View Post
    you may like this one, too ....
    Hi there Photon - thank you very much for the link - I think Chris absolutely 'nailed it'...also it is a gem of a chanell - so thanks.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well for better or worse, and despite this post we have just taken advantage of some very aggressive pricing and bought an X Pro 3.

We've been talking about rounding out the kit with something pocketable. I mentioned the XE3 above but in the end we decided to go with the XP3. Mainly autofocus and VF is better than the XE3.

I finally decided that the screen wasn't that big an issue, despite that post

My other half when she saw the XP2 in my hands said "it's much too small for you" - it disappears in my paws. But in fact I think it will be OK. Just have to wait 3 weeks for delivery now.

I think I saw Dante's little brother running around this thread just now...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pelorus, congrats on the XP3. I am sure it is going to be a fine camera. It is funny, the XP3 screen was not that much of an issue for me. Yes, it was an unusual design move, but it did give some flexibility to use the X Pro at waist level. There is some functionality in the XP3 that is really attractive like the RAW HDR and frame averaging.

What really did not work for me in the X Pro3 was the loss of the dual-magnification OVF. That is really important for the use of both the XF14 and XF50--there are no frame lines for the XF14, but the entire field of the OVF approximated it well enough. So with my lenses, 14mm, 23mm, 50mm, and 90mm, the XP2/1 OVF design is important. And I am one of the few XP2 owners that relies on the OVF for most of my shooting. I am sure the EVF is much better in the XP3, and while I use the LCD, I never really connected with EVFs. Given Fuji have determined their user-base primarily uses the EVF, I doubt the dual-magnification OVF will make it back in future models.

Speaking of Dante, I have a second XP2 on order. Could not miss the chance of the Fuji end of the year promotion.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Will, I suspect I might be a predominantly EVF shooter. I am that with the 50R and I doubt this will be different. Initially this will be a one lens kit. It _does_ fit in my jacket pocket and for better or worse we've chosen the 35/2.0 lens. It's not a pancake but it seems to be the best compromise for size, weight, image quality and WR.

I'd be interested in feedback on that lens...now that we've stumped our money.

In a way this will initially be a very capable P&S. It will pair with both the Alpa STC and the 50R to fill a gap in the kit. Bit shocking when you say it like that

Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Pelorus, congrats on the XP3. I am sure it is going to be a fine camera. It is funny, the XP3 screen was not that much of an issue for me. Yes, it was an unusual design move, but it did give some flexibility to use the X Pro at waist level. There is some functionality in the XP3 that is really attractive like the RAW HDR and frame averaging.

What really did not work for me in the X Pro3 was the loss of the dual-magnification OVF. That is really important for the use of both the XF14 and XF50--there are no frame lines for the XF14, but the entire field of the OVF approximated it well enough. So with my lenses, 14mm, 23mm, 50mm, and 90mm, the XP2/1 OVF design is important. And I am one of the few XP2 owners that relies on the OVF for most of my shooting. I am sure the EVF is much better in the XP3, and while I use the LCD, I never really connected with EVFs. Given Fuji have determined their user-base primarily uses the EVF, I doubt the dual-magnification OVF will make it back in future models.

Speaking of Dante, I have a second XP2 on order. Could not miss the chance of the Fuji end of the year promotion.

Post Thanks / Like

I handled an X-Pro3 yesterday for the first time. That was Saturday, Friday I had taken my sold X-Pro2 to UPS. I have some sellers remorse. After having the P2 for a year I got an X-H1 on that crazy sale. I found I loved the larger better EVF. I found i really like a folding screen. A few other features on the H I found I really like are also on the P3 but not the P2. I shot Leica film M's for decades and loved the finder but turns out i seldom used it on the P2. The Pr0 2 was barely used after getting the XH.

So the X-Pro3. I liked it very much. Side by side to the XH the EVF of the P3 is every bit as good and far better if you are an EVF user than the P2. The AF is very good and tracking in C-AF is very good. I had borrowed a friends X-T30 during the week. This was my first glimpse into how much better it would be over the P2 (BTW the XH is faster/better than the P2, double the computer power vs the P2 and X-T2). Other things of the P3 are very P2 like. The learning curve will be very short. The folding screen=so what to me. It's fine. I'm not chimper.

So really the P3 has what I felt the P2 lacked and for the most part the XH has, great AF and a better EVF. I will be getting a Pro3, should have yesterday but I felt that I needed more than 24 hours between the departure of the 2 to make way for the 3. WHY.

Also tried for the first time since an early rental X-E2 a 23mm 1.4 My god the AF is far far faster on an XH/P3 than what I got on that X-E2. Very nice if a bit large.

Neil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd be interested in feedback on that lens...now that we've stumped our money.
    I have the 23mm f/2 lens, not the 35mm, so I can't speak directly to the quality. However, the 23mm is one of my most used lenses (I really like the 50mm f/2 as well). It is a good all round lens for the X Pro2. It is weak at the minimum focus distance when at f/2, but works really well stopped down. At other distances, I find it a good lens regardless of the aperture. The 35mm is shorter than the 23mm, so it will be more portable, but probably not pocketable. Or no more pocketable than a Leica M, which is a similar size.

But this will be more portable than your GFX: my other camera is a Pentax 645D and so I looked for something that I could carry and shoot more frequently. I found the Fuji X Pros a great travel camera, particularly when the purpose of the travel is not photography, but has some room for photography. It feels like a real camera, if you know what i mean. And a three-lens kit is remarkably small, at least three-prime lens kit (I did spec out a Sony 24MP mirrorless when I was looking at the XP2, but that was not only more expensive, it was also heavier and larger, mostly to do with the lenses).

The X Pro with a single prime is a lot of fun to use.
    Will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I like his reviews, but although he's not a hipster, he does seem kind of pretentious
    I honestly sort of can't stand his reviews with the approach. It's like this very deep serious personal tragic-drama thing.

- Ricardo