The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X-Pro3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What makes a camera "professional"?
Actually, Fuji has a long history of the Pro name. Often when they intend the use of a camera for professional use, they add Pro to the name. Only in my posession are an S3 Pro, an S5 Pro and a couple of GX680 Pro bodies. There are more.

PeterA

There is a lot of negative feedback being handed to Fuji overt this hipster design nonsense - for good reason AFAIC.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There is a lot of negative feedback being handed to Fuji overt this hipster design nonsense - for good reason AFAIC.
I must be a hipster then. The X-Pro3 is perfect for my needs, and designed to perfection for the way I currently use my GX8 bodies.

I'll go out an buy some hipster clothing then. Does anybody know what that looks like? Do I need to grow a beard?

PeterA

I must be a hipster then. The X-Pro3 is perfect for my needs, and designed to perfection for the way I currently use my GX8 bodies.

I'll go out an buy some hipster clothing then. Does anybody know what that looks like? Do I need to grow a beard?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGAujvm8LzY

This bloke has a beard but isn't a hipster - you might like his 'take' on the camera - pretty balanced as opposed to the over the top positives for anything Fuji sprayed all over the place by Fuji ambassadors - like Jonas Rask.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I be a hipster definitely then!

The X-Pro3 still seems controversial to me, but I could very well see this beauty being my only everyday camera for the next years to come paired with only one lens like the 2/23 or the 1.4/35 (or maybe both).

But maybe I now understand better where the word hipster comes from - could be because of shooting more from the hip like with that new X-Pro3 ;):p:loco:

Last edited:

iiiNelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGAujvm8LzY

This bloke has a beard but isn't a hipster - you might like his 'take' on the camera - pretty balanced as opposed to the over the top positives for anything Fuji sprayed all over the place by Fuji ambassadors - like Jonas Rask.
Hugh is measured in pretty much all of his takes on the gear. It’s clear that he buys what works for him and gives praise to great gear that might be suited for other types of shooters. I don’t find him to be pretentious in any way personally. He’s a really nice dude in all reality (in my limited interactions with him).

rayyan

I don’t like to philosophize about cameras.
Specially cameras...or the process etc.

Either I like a camera when using it or I don’t.

If I would care to spend some time thinking ( philosophing)
about photography it would be:

What I should do to improve on the images I made.

One likes a camera, good use it.
One doesn’t like a camera...move on.

Everything else is expending bandwidth.

Rand47

Went to an event and handled the X-Pro 3 in Dura Black. Beautiful finish. Lovely camera. But I came away disappointed. I’m sure I could learn to adapt to the hidden LCD but it just seems like an “all loss and no gain” situation to me, with zero advantage in the way the LCD works. The simulated film box end is just silly (unless your hipster quotient is very high), and when in “info mode” this small display is not very visible in even the ambient room light of the shop I was in. Outside it was invisible for all practical purposes.

The change in the EVF is significant “on paper” but visually a very small change from my Pro 2. The change in the OVF is nice for glasses wearers (that’s me), but the other changes re framing lines is not good. For the 16mm there are four little orange “corner arrows” that are not so great. So, for me, the OVF changes are at best a “push” and in some ways a net loss compared to my Pro 2. Before actually handling one I had firm plans to “upgrade” to the Pro 3. It is now, sadly, off my radar altogether.

I love Fuji and sincerely hope this camera is a success and that there “really is” a market for what it offers. For me, it would be too many compromises to tolerate for no practical gain to warrant the expense. I suspect that many/most of the firmware upgrades will find their way to other models with the same sensor/processor combination, so that also is not enough to compensate for the very strange design choices Fuji made.

At the risk of being flippant, I think Fuji should have named this the X-Hipster_Jewelry 3. It really is beautiful in the Dura finish.

Rand

iiiNelson

Went to an event and handled the X-Pro 3 in Dura Black. Beautiful finish. Lovely camera. But I came away disappointed. I’m sure I could learn to adapt to the hidden LCD but it just seems like an “all loss and no gain” situation to me, with zero advantage in the way the LCD works. The simulated film box end is just silly (unless your hipster quotient is very high), and when in “info mode” this small display is not very visible in even the ambient room light of the shop I was in. Outside it was invisible for all practical purposes.

The change in the EVF is significant “on paper” but visually a very small change from my Pro 2. The change in the OVF is nice for glasses wearers (that’s me), but the other changes re framing lines is not good. For the 16mm there are four little orange “corner arrows” that are not so great. So, for me, the OVF changes are at best a “push” and in some ways a net loss compared to my Pro 2. Before actually handling one I had firm plans to “upgrade” to the Pro 3. It is now, sadly, off my radar altogether.

I love Fuji and sincerely hope this camera is a success and that there “really is” a market for what it offers. For me, it would be too many compromises to tolerate for no practical gain to warrant the expense. I suspect that many/most of the firmware upgrades will find their way to other models with the same sensor/processor combination, so that also is not enough to compensate for the very strange design choices Fuji made.

At the risk of being flippant, I think Fuji should have named this the X-Hipster_Jewelry 3. It really is beautiful in the Dura finish.

Rand
My opinion is that the irony of this camera is that the targeted market is probably not the professional but rather the enthusiast market (which includes professionals that may want this as a personal camera).

archiM44

I very enthousiastically preordered and will soon receive it.
Should have waited longer!!
I will miss the ability to magnfy the OV when using a lens with a longer focal length and the frame becomes too small.
Of course you can always switch to the electronic. But I do admit my M viewfinder frame with a 90 was really tiny, let alone with a 135mm

PeterA

Rand
People criticise leica - but they NEVER EVER EVER make the mistake of trying to force their user base into using their cameras 'only in this way'. What a stupid thing Fuji have done to an iconic design - dumb it down and make it less user friendly but emphasize 'titaaaanium' and paint colours...sorry Fuji if I want camera bling Leica does a much better job at it.

end rant.

iiiNelson

People criticise leica - but they NEVER EVER EVER make the mistake of trying to force their user base into using their cameras 'only in this way'. What a stupid thing Fuji have done to an iconic design - dumb it down and make it less user friendly but emphasize 'titaaaanium' and paint colours...sorry Fuji if I want camera bling Leica does a much better job at it.

end rant.
I think this was Fuji’s take on the Leica M-D lines... except they hid the screen versus omitting it altogether. I think the camera is getting a mixed reaction. Seems that most that have used it understand it a bit better though many still don’t order it. Seems like most that haven’t touched it dislike the idea/concept of it.

I don’t have a dog in the fight either way. It’s interesting but not for me.

PeterA

I think this was Fuji’s take on the Leica M-D lines... except they hid the screen versus omitting it altogether. I think the camera is getting a mixed reaction. Seems that most that have used it understand it a bit better though many still don’t order it. Seems like most that haven’t touched it dislike the idea/concept of it.

I don’t have a dog in the fight either way. It’s interesting but not for me.
I think Leica (CL) and Sony 6 series - have just been given a massive boost - by Fuji.

neilss

I have an X-Pro2, I've had it about a year and only 4K clicks. Not the cameras fault the number is low. It's the way I shoot. The 2 is my first EVF mirrorless camera. Before I bought I had rented over the years the X-E2, X100T, X100F and an X-Pro2. I have Leica M's for two decades and I thought I'd use the OVF much more than I do. Turns out I seldom use it. I have a decade plus of FF DSLR use where I've never ever set a camera to display an exposure as soon as I've shot it. I review an exposure just to check it. When I've done that I shoot. I also hate having a screen flash on just out of view into my face every time I shoot.

I bought the X-H1 as the sale price is too low to pass on. Now THAT is an EVF. So much better than the 2 and I guess exactly what the X-T3 offers. The X-Pro3 is on paper even better.
The XH is my first ever camera with tilting screen, IBIS and a large EVF. I can't see how anyone thinks it is a large camera but my other bag carries a D4S/D3 Nikon. Those are large.

I could completely live with the display of the X-Pro3. D-pad? Sure I'd adjust. I shoot more than fiddle. If the X-Pro3 AF gets closer to Pro DSLR speed and accuracy the alone would do it for me. A finder as good or better than the X-H1 would be great. I'm not leaving Nikon, I could after all just get a Z body but the point of Fuji for me is size reduction. I have the 23/35/50 cron selection. It's all a joy to carry and the point is I DO carry it.

There may be a low click mint Pro2 for sale soon. I haven't used it since the H arrived.

Neil

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Today I just had another spin with the X-Pro3 at Photo&Adventure in Vienna. This time at least the camera worked (my first try 2 weeks ago was with a non functioning OVF/EVF) but the booth personal (Fuji) was still very ignorant.

Anyway finally we could together get the X-Pro3 to work and here are my first impressions:

1) the AF works nicely with OVF as well as EVF and is displayed in both modes very correctly.
2) the dura buck coating is not as bad WRT smears as a lot of people reported, simply wipe it off with a soft tissue and it is ok - also if you have eaten pommel with your hands and then touch this (or any) camera the surface will be smeared
3) camera is overall very reactive and easy to hold, even with open screen
4) camera overall is pretty light, with F2 primes a real joy to hold and use
5) EVF is pretty good I would say, but looking 10 minutes after through the EM5.3 EVF (also OLED but only 2.4MP) I still liked the EM5.3 better - that should tell something

Will I finally buy one? I think not for now, as I am completely out of the Fuji X ecosystem, and even if I would be in I would have to think pretty hard about it. Maybe better wait for the X-H2?

Great camera overall, but maybe not for me and my type of use ....

Last edited:

neilss

Ya know I don't think I've seen anyone mention that perhaps one could just turn off the rear display of their X-Pro2 just to see if the world ends. Is it just too easy?

I did see a tongue in cheek Youtube where the guy gaffer taped a piece of cardboard over his rear display. Seems a tad extreme.

Neil