The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X-Pro3

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Many hours already and no thread? I'd better start one then.

This, to me, looks like a camera that combines three of my favourites:

- The X-Pro2, that came close, but missed the target narrowly for me
- The GX8 that I currently use, and that has no replacement from Panasonic other than the bulky G9 and the inferior GX9
- The M10-D that I can't afford

To make things even better, Fuji recently launched the sweetest little backup/carry everywhere camera, the X-A7. We'll see, but I'll follow this one closely for sure.

https://fujifilm-x.com/th-th/cameras/x-pro3/
https://www.dpreview.com/news/76410...um-body-mini-rear-lcd-hidden-display-and-more

Shashin

It certainly is an interesting camera. It seems Fuji was trying to balance those that wanted a tilting LCD with those that did not want the distraction of one.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I am still a bit puzzled about the X-Pro3. It definitely is an interesting concept, but finally for me it comes down to how good the sensor is and how good the AF implementation works. Even in a camera that cries to shoot manually.

I do hope that OVF/EVF is really a step forward from the X-Pro1/X-Pro2 too, I never could get friends with my X-Pro1 OVF/EVF.

Leaving all that aside, I have some hope for this camera, as there is currently no counterpart from another vendor available - the PenF is no longer in production and I have waited for a PenF 2 and the Leica M (whatever digital model) is out of my reach financially (I simply do not want to sink so much money in an old MF concept even if it is still stellar after 70+ years).

We wil see in .... 31 days.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Well, I am still a bit puzzled about the X-Pro3. It definitely is an interesting concept, but finally for me it comes down to how good the sensor is and how good the AF implementation works. Even in a camera that cries to shoot manually.

I do hope that OVF/EVF is really a step forward from the X-Pro1/X-Pro2 too, I never could get friends with my X-Pro1 OVF/EVF.

Leaving all that aside, I have some hope for this camera, as there is currently no counterpart from another vendor available - the PenF is no longer in production and I have waited for a PenF 2 and the Leica M (whatever digital model) is out of my reach financially (I simply do not want to sink so much money in an old MF concept even if it is still stellar after 70+ years).

We wil see in .... 31 days.
Im almost certain we will see all the advancements of the XT3 within this camera. It’s interesting for sure and solves one of my biggest gripes with the XPro line (no tilting screen) but it’ll be interesting to see if it solves one of my biggest concerns with Fuji cameras in general (build quality and reliability) with the titanium models. Say what you will about other makers build quality but I don’t see the production issues with bodies nearly as frequently as I do in Fuji cameras. The XH1 took the cake but many had issues with the XT2 and there were even some in the GFX bodies and lenses. Doesn’t help that production shifted countries either.

I’m hoping for the best because I do like that they make different products from the rest of the industry and they are one of my three favorite companies pushing the camera industry forward IMO.

PeterA

I thought I'd be a a definite buyer of the XPro -3 - and now I think I am definitely not - the screen design is a an epic fail for me.

Rand47

For me, it depends on how they implement image review in the EVF. For instance, if using the OVF you could set the “Image Display” function in the menu to immediately switch to EVF and display the image for however long you have it set for, that might be very cool for those times when you want to look at each frame as you go. OR, if using OVF you hit the playback button while the camera is to your eye, it switches to EVF and displays the image, then switches back to OVF when you half-press or hit the OK button.

That would remove the kluge of needing to fold out the LCD for those times when you really want or need to do instant image review.

On the whole, though, I like what I hear - especially if the OVF viewing experience is improved, the diopter correction lockable, and the eye relief better for those of us who wear glasses while shooting. One of the things I really disliked about my X Pro 2 was the image color / quality of the EVF as compared to the LCD. No amount of tweaking could get them anywhere close. The EVF was just sub-optimal in implementation, IMO. This is supposed to be another area where the Pro 3 has pretty dramatic improvement. If so, and given my comments above, it could make this a real winner for me.

And last, who among us can resist anything made from titanium! Not me! The camera I loved most in my life was my Olympus OM3 Ti. Take a look on ebay for a clean used one. They have become a cult camera worth much more than their retail price.

Rand

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The more I think about this EVF concept, the more I come to the conclusion that the X-PRO3 is not the camera for me.

Unfortunately this would have been maybe the last chance to win me over again to Fuji X. But now I am almost certainly asking myself why, Why, WHY I should get back into APSC Fuji X again, while I have so many more great possibilities with a Sony A7R4. If I need/want APSC then this marvel of a camera can do that with 26MP superior IQ and pairing this camera with the latest Sony 16-55/2.8 and 75-350 APSC lenses makes just a very compact travel and even street kit.

So sorry to say, but I think finally Fuji has lost me forever.

iiiNelson

The more I think about this EVF concept, the more I come to the conclusion that the X-PRO3 is not the camera for me.

Unfortunately this would have been maybe the last chance to win me over again to Fuji X. But now I am almost certainly asking myself why, Why, WHY I should get back into APSC Fuji X again, while I have so many more great possibilities with a Sony A7R4. If I need/want APSC then this marvel of a camera can do that with 26MP superior IQ and pairing this camera with the latest Sony 16-55/2.8 and 75-350 APSC lenses makes just a very compact travel and even street kit.

I think for those already in the X system or for someone intending to use their f/2 primes the XPro3 makes a ton of sense. I also like that there are various form factors but I find the XT-x0 cameras entirely too small for me. The XE, XH, and XT are Fuji’s biggest winners that aren’t larger than FF cameras. In any case they pair nicely for someone that is size conscious, want max IQ, and needs speed at times. They’re making great products but I think they’ll mostly remain a niche company and that’s completely fine too.

darr

As a X-Pro2 user I am happy to see the upgrades and will be purchasing one.

The new flippy screen and unique film-box type display is okay. I continue to shoot film (135, 6x6 and 4x5") so the film-box display is a familiar sight to me.
I am not one to use the LCD probably as much as other photographers, but since I use the X-Pro2 on a copy stand at times, I have wanted a flippy screen, and now I will have it.

I also shoot a X100T and an IR converted XE-2. I have a nice selection of lenses and will probably have the X-Pro2 IR converted and sell the X-E2.

The Sony NEX-7 was my first mirrorless APS-C camera and after using that camera for about 2 years, I decided I no longer needed my FF Nikons.
It was then I made the switch to Fuji mainly because of the user experience, lenses and the files. If I need more pixels, I shoot my medium format digital camera.

I usually skip a generation of upgrading cameras (skipping X100F, but will probably go for X100V), but the flippy screen has been on my want list.
I tried the X-T line before I rented an X-Pro2 and it just was not for me. I prefer a rangefinder type body.

A great time to be a photographer!

Kind regards,
Darr

Shashin

I am intrigued by the X Pro3. I want more information on the change of OVF magnification and whether it will match the XF14mm lens.

rayyan

Reason for my buying Fuji X series was ( and is )
size, weight n bulk.

I also bought me a Gitzo traveler series 1 plus a
RSS ballhead.
A relatively simple n light setup with 14,35,50mm lenses.
Add my XP2 and a very competent wr light weight kit.

Except when I need to frame a shot with the tripod!

Try bending down a few times and for a period of time; and
one might appreciate the benefits of a tilting lcd.

Hence, I am interested in the XP3.

My wife has the XT3 ( after the XH1 ), but I prefer the
XP2 handling n ergonomics.

Shashin

I also bought me a Gitzo traveler series 1 ...
Rayyan, how do your like your Gitzo? I assume the 1545. HOw well does it pack, but give enough height when you work. I am thinking very much along the lines of your very excellent setup.

JoelM

I have (too many) tripods one of which is a Gitzo Traveler. I've had it for over 15 years. Great investment as they are durable, travel well, and are perfect for many situations. I highly recommend them.

Joel

rayyan

Will, sorry for belated response. I was out of country.

I have the 1555T Gitzo tripod.
It fits in my carry-on. Excellent quality.

However, I would recommend the 15545T. It extends about 2.5” more without using the center column.

I have a 1527 series also for years. Never let me down.
But not a traveler tripod, IMO.

The 1555T I have has served me well, within its limitations. For travel I would go
With the traveler series; according to folded length, extended height.

Travel weight load should not be an issue.

I recommend Gitzo.

Rayyan, how do your like your Gitzo? I assume the 1545. HOw well does it pack, but give enough height when you work. I am thinking very much along the lines of your very excellent setup.

Photon42

Don't want to pretend I am Rayyan ... but I have this one here, which I really like. You can see from the pictures how well it folds up with the Gitzo head. One reason not to use a different one. Superbly thought out and comes with a short center column, too. I do have a heavier one, but guess what happened once I had acquired the Gitzo ...

PeterA

For typical shooting I would say that there is nothing to be gained from moving away from your current Olympus set-up - except GAS.
I have to say though that the XPro-3 isnt something that would turn me off fuji at all - I happen to dislike the flip down screen to use - my only criticism. The IQ and focus is now well proven by the XT-3 I own but unlike the XT3 - the xpro offers a viewfinder on the side - which I prefer.
However - no doubt that the new Sony is a spectacular camera for those who want the 35mm sized chip and a bunch of excellent tech like the best eye focus etc...but I cant see people buying it to use 'dumbed down' to use apc lenses exclusively? and then you get to FF lens sizes - and that becomes a different weight story compared to apc sized cameras.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For typical shooting I would say that there is nothing to be gained from moving away from your current Olympus set-up - except GAS.
I have to say though that the XPro-3 isnt something that would turn me off fuji at all - I happen to dislike the flip down screen to use - my only criticism. The IQ and focus is now well proven by the XT-3 I own but unlike the XT3 - the xpro offers a viewfinder on the side - which I prefer.
However - no doubt that the new Sony is a spectacular camera for those who want the 35mm sized chip and a bunch of excellent tech like the best eye focus etc...but I cant see people buying it to use 'dumbed down' to use apc lenses exclusively? and then you get to FF lens sizes - and that becomes a different weight story compared to apc sized cameras.
Unfortunately I have to agree to most of what you say! I would really love to be able to like that X-PRO3 concept but when I really think about it my conclusion is always to better skip it. But skip for what Fuji? An X-PRO4 that comes maybe in 2022 or even later? I want to shoot now and want to have fun now.

Maybe I have to think more about that whole story :facesmack:

pegelli

while I have so many more great possibilities with a Sony A7R4.
Peter, you were quite vocal in the past about not liking Sony, if I remember correctly because you didn't like how it fitted your hand as it felt too small and cramped for you. Maybe you had other objections as well. Have you held and handled the A7Riv and are these problems now solved (or less important)? And how about the Nikon Z? I tried a friend's Z6 and on the plus side the EVF is certainly better than my own Sony's, the files just as good (maybe a slight edge vs the A7, A7ii) but for me the body feels wrong in my hands which is why I remain with what I have but as always you need to test yourself to see what you like or not.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, you were quite vocal in the past about not liking Sony, if I remember correctly because you didn't like how it fitted your hand as it felt too small and cramped for you. Maybe you had other objections as well. Have you held and handled the A7Riv and are these problems now solved (or less important)? And how about the Nikon Z? I tried a friend's Z6 and on the plus side the EVF is certainly better than my own Sony's, the files just as good (maybe a slight edge vs the A7, A7ii) but for me the body feels wrong in my hands which is why I remain with what I have but as always you need to test yourself to see what you like or not.
I had the chance to have a closer look again to a Sony A7R3 a while ago - wanted to handle the A7R4 but they only had the R3. While playing around with it for a while with some lenses that would interest me I actually felt this camera was not to bad in my hands. So the R4 must even be better with improved controls and grip.

Given the fact that NO other vendor can come close today (and I guess also in the future) to Sony's AF implementation - especially the AF Tracking that can automatically switch to eye AF - I am very much lusting after the R4.

Also Sony is currently the only vendor offering a native 100-400 and even a 200-600, there these lenses will not come in the next years (decades) for Canon and Nikon. this is another killer reason for me to have Sony mirrorless FF with the A7R4 very high on my radar screen.

Add to this setup a G 4/24-105, a G 1.8/85, GM 1.4/24 and maybe a 4/16-35 and I would be all set.

And if I am in the camp I would not mind to buy a Leica M to FE adapter and simply use my M lenses on FF mirrorless again and find out myself which ones do not work well on a Sony FF mirrorless.

Finally I started photography with a Minolta SRT 101 - so the logical camera for me must be a Sony anyway as this is what it has been for some 50 years ago - almost exactly 50 years ago :cool:;):thumbup:

Last edited:

pegelli

Thanks Peter, that explains a lot. I must say my A7ii feels better and more sturdy in my hands than my original A7. So the iii and iv models might even be better.

Another friend of mine has the A9 and A7Riii and his claim is that for the ultimate tracking AF (especially birds in flight) the A9 is better than the A7Riii, but for most other things he feels the A7Riii is just as good with the advantage of the added resolution (=more cropping possibilities)