The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X-Pro3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Peter, that explains a lot. I must say my A7ii feels better and more sturdy in my hands than my original A7. So the iii and iv models might even be better.

Another friend of mine has the A9 and A7Riii and his claim is that for the ultimate tracking AF (especially birds in flight) the A9 is better than the A7Riii, but for most other things he feels the A7Riii is just as good with the advantage of the added resolution (=more cropping possibilities)
Now when it comes to tracking AF the R4 should top the R3 by a reasonable margin. This and the resolution it offers are the main deciding factors for me not to go with the R3 although this would be much cheaper soon.

rayyan

To be honest, I have been in/out of the Sony dealer quite a lot these days!
The A7R3 or the A73 with the 24-105G does tempt me.

Next door is the Nikon dealer, who know me for years..:eek:

p.s. maybe I buy the noise cancelling Sony headphones n not overstay my welcome!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Some more details about the X-Pro3

https://www.cameraegg.org/fujifilm-...gn=Feed:+Cameraegg+(Camera+News+at+Cameraegg)

As weird as this camera seems (to me) as much I start to like it. I need to have it in hands (that will happen this Friday) to really tell if it is any good for me (or at all - whoever might be concerned).

But if that OVF/EVF is really what I imagine and hope for, together with all that other goodies inherited from the X-T3 (like sensor, AF, speed etc.) this could finally become the all in one camera for street and action and ..... for me (and maybe many others).

In a few days we will know more!

Pelorus

Well Fujifilm are running a "Glocal" event in Ueno on Saturday so I've registered and will try and attend. The effects of another typhoon are forecast to hit the Tokyo area on Saturday and this event appears to be outdoors at least in part. So we shall see. The XPro3 is promised to be there and it's touted as an event for both X and GFX photographers so let's see if there are any GFX announcements.

PeterA

I will make up my mind once I've looked through the viewfinder, since the flippy LCD is largely useless to me (now)- I would have preferred that there were no video functions - but I guess that is all 'free' with the XT3 chip and processors. I like the idea of in body multiple exposures and HDR - hopefully it is a firmware upgrade for XT-3 as well.

rayyan

Peter, thanks for the link.

I read Mr. Rask’s article and have watched several videos on the X-PRO3.

Re: Mr. Rask’s article...it is very well written. Kevin is also a good Fuji Ambassador.

Having said that, he states at the onset that some will either ‘ love it or hate it’..with respect to the X-PRO3.
What a profound statement :shocked:

After reading his article, I came away with a feeling that this article was written in conjunction with the Fuji marketing department who generously gave this fanboy a new toy to play with. In return for his time in this project.

I do not want any manufacturer to dictate to me how photography ( and which tools ) I should use in pursuit of my hobby.

Love it or hate it. With us or against us!

Does it serve my interest, Mr. Rask’s? I shall decide.
You have not convinced me of that. I read spec sheets as an initial introduction.
This is what his article is. With some explanations in English.
I thank him for that.

p.s. I got confused between mr. Mullins and mr. Rask.
My apologies for creeping age effects.

Last edited:

PeterA

Peter, thanks for the link.

I read Mr. Rask’s article and have watched several videos on the X-PRO3.

Re: Mr. Rask’s article...it is very well written. Kevin is also a good Fuji Ambassador.

Having said that, he states at the onset that some will either ‘ love it or hate it’..with respect to the X-PRO3.
What a profound statement :shocked:

After reading his article, I came away with a feeling that this article was written in conjunction with the Fuji marketing department who generously gave this fanboy a new toy to play with. In return for his time in this project.

I do not want any manufacturer to dictate to me how photography ( and which tools ) I should use in pursuit of my hobby.

Love it or hate it. With us or against us!

Does it serve my interest, Mr. Rask’s? I shall decide.
You have not convinced me of that. I read spec sheets as an initial introduction.
This is what his article is. With some explanations in English.
I thank him for that.

p.s. I got confused between mr. Mullins and mr. Rask.
My apologies for creeping age effects.
Hi Rayyan

Yes these two are total fanboys - most of the critics and reviewers are - they have all learned to 'be nice' to all manufacturers - but at least these two actually use Fuji equipment ..

I don't know if I can actually talk myself into this camera- as I am one who thinks the 'hidden' LCD is counterproductive to the way I use a camera...but I really like the viewfinder to be on the left hand side of a camera ( Leica M and CL style) ..and I love the actual Fuji lenses and image IQ in X series almost as much as GFX series.

As always I guess best to try for oneself.

Pete

biglouis

You have to give credit to Fuji for creating a product like this, which clearly appeals to existing users whose X-Pro(x) is now long in the tooth.

They are getting the latest sensor and I assume all the AF goodies of the X-T3 but in a body which they feel more comfortable with.

It is not a product for me but I wouldn't be surprised if they sell a lot of them.

Why shouldn't cameras be appealing objects was well as tools?

I know if money were no object I'd easily plonk down the cash for a M-10, so why not an X-Pro3 if it appeals?

Just my two cents.

LouisB

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Now after seeing and reading most of the reviews about the X-Pro3 I am even more interested. I think I could get friend with the concept of hidden EVF finally - still have to try it - hopefully this Friday.

But having owned Fuji cameras (XPro1, XE2, XT1 and XT2) and several lenses (even the 100-400) I imagine becoming friends with that camera could be pretty easy.

I really like that it is so different than most (actually all) you can buy today and hey, why not stand out of that boring crowd as long as it suits my needs - that should guarantee even more fun! Maybe a better decision than going FF with a Sony or Nikon mirrorless - at least for me it seems much more fun :cool:

Stay tuned ....

Pelorus

So I’ve just been down to Fujifilm Square at Roppongi and had some hands on time with the X Pro3. The staff are very proud of this camera. In your hands it feels great. Within I think 10 grams of the XPro 2. The Dura black is an odd colour but looks OK. Developed for them by Citizen. Focusing and handling are good but the eyepoint is less than the 50R so it’s a challenge with specs.

The bit we’ve all been wondering about is the screen. This is very personal but I’m afraid it breaks the deal for me. I often use the screen and the viewfinder in quick succession. I couldn’t do that with this camera. So it’s one or the other. I’d quickly feel like tearing the screen off the body - it felt like a nuisance.

Of course others will just love this screen...that’s life.

Without the screen I’m sorely tempted. With the screen it’s not for me. Pics to follow.

Pelorus

Aologies for the quality, a few snaps from the counter.

First the screen - you can choose on the Q menu how many icons to display.

This one might give an idea of the Dura Black colour

Top plate - Dura Black with the GFX100 hiding below