The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X-Pro3

pegelli

Maybe but I’d more quickly assume that this would drive people to the XT3 if they were invested in Fuji already.
I agree, I don't think a lot of people will jump ship if one new body comes out that isn't to their liking. Especially since it doesn't change anything to the gear they already have (and presumably use and like) :angel:

Shashin

Having an X Pro2 and three lenses (and an XF10), I have no incentive to get a Sony or Leica APS-C camera. First, the Sony and Leica cameras do not blow my hair back at all: I bought my X Pro2 for the optical finder, so Sony and Leica EVF cameras are not a draw (the X Pros also have a built in EVF, so I have that option as well). Also, I have not seen a decrease in the quality of my images since the release of the X Pro3 (or any other Fuji camera, for that matter). And to be honest, the Sony and Leica lens offering are not that appealing and certainly not at Leica prices. Personally, I think Fuji has the best APS-C system on the market to date, not only in terms of quality, but also choice. (And if I did like the Sony or Leica cameras, Fuji has EVF cameras with basically the same style meaning I don't have to buy new lenses.)

After seeing all the changes made to the X Pro3, and some of them are good, it has certain design decisions that do not appeal to me (the flip screen I am actually ambivalent about and I do not understand the hostility). Certainly, no other manufacturer has a camera like the X Pros, regardless of the model, so there is no other option available. The fact that I really like my Fuji APS-C system and it continues to give me excellent images, I am uncertain what I am actually missing.

darr

Only one Leica and one Sony cameras I have owned, and I was not super impressed by either.
I currently shoot with three Fuji mirrorless, and will continue with Fuji. Why? Lenses, ergonomics, price, and commitment to users.

The X-Pro3 will find a home in my bag, but I usually wait a while after a camera hits the market.

I am upgrading from the X-Pro2, so I have a pretty good idea what to expect.
My X-Pro2 will be IR modified and the IR Fuji camera I currently shoot with will be sold.

Such a great assortment of gear we have for choosing these days!

Kind regards,
Darr

PeterA

Maybe but I’d more quickly assume that this would drive people to the XT3 if they were invested in Fuji already.

The only reason I exited Leica M was I have become tired of 'compulsory' manual focus - simple as that. I am also aware of just how good if not better both TL and L mount lenses are compared to M. So (liek I usually do) I have been comparing Fuji X V Leica CL for my happy snap purposes since they are both small format - looky look fellas - the CL is a LOT smaller even!:bugeyes:

Here is my CL and XT-3 side by side - note the viewfinder on the CL is on the left hand side of the CL body V viewfinder on XT-3 ( great camera btw) is closer to center than left. What I liked about the M series and do like about the CL series camera bodies is the viewfinder position and excellent viewfinders - viewfinder in XT-3 is great no problem - i just prefer the viewfinder position to be in 'rangefinder style' position - left of body - but not to be dumbed down.

All I expected from XPro-3 was viewfinder/Chip/ to be same as XT-3 - I could even cope with useless screen mode - but viewfinder isn't as good as XT-3 anbd I am one of those types who think a viewfinder experience is the first thing I look at when assessing camera. Same reason I didn't pick up a GFXR - love the rangefinder style - didn't like the EVF.

Ok that is it from me on this topic - apologies in advance if my preferences set came across as some criticism of Fuji in general - the reverse is true for me - I have Fuji love in abundance.:thumbup:

ptomsu

Workshop Member

The only reason I exited Leica M was I have become tired of 'compulsory' manual focus - simple as that. I am also aware of just how good if not better both TL and L mount lenses are compared to M. So (liek I usually do) I have been comparing Fuji X V Leica CL for my happy snap purposes since they are both small format - looky look fellas - the CL is a LOT smaller even!:bugeyes:

Here is my CL and XT-3 side by side - note the viewfinder on the CL is on the left hand side of the CL body V viewfinder on XT-3 ( great camera btw) is closer to center than left. What I liked about the M series and do like about the CL series camera bodies is the viewfinder position and excellent viewfinders - viewfinder in XT-3 is great no problem - i just prefer the viewfinder position to be in 'rangefinder style' position - left of body - but not to be dumbed down.

All I expected from XPro-3 was viewfinder/Chip/ to be same as XT-3 - I could even cope with useless screen mode - but viewfinder isn't as good as XT-3 anbd I am one of those types who think a viewfinder experience is the first thing I look at when assessing camera. Same reason I didn't pick up a GFXR - love the rangefinder style - didn't like the EVF.

Ok that is it from me on this topic - apologies in advance if my preferences set came across as some criticism of Fuji in general - the reverse is true for me - I have Fuji love in abundance.:thumbup:
On the EVF/OVF side of this topic I must say from my small amount of using/testing the X-Pro3 I found the EVF pretty good, definitely good enough for me, and I am usually very picky in that regards. What really surprised me though was that the EVF of the Olympus Em5.3 (which I tested a few minutes after the X-Pro3) was at least as good IMO as the one of the X-Pro3 although only 2.4MP compared 3.6MP of the X-Pro3.

So from the viewfinder point I would definitely not skip the X-Pro3. Just my 5c ....

iiiNelson

Im not disagreeing with your preferences. I just don’t believe most people that are Fuji X buyers (as a primary system) are cross shopping with Leica. I’m sure there’s a small minority that do/will but they’re the exception.

I didn’t take your criticism as anti-Fuji at all. You were simply expressing your concerns. It’s all fair game. I tried a GFX R the other day and disliked it. I understand.

PeterA

Im not disagreeing with your preferences. I just don’t believe most people that are Fuji X buyers (as a primary system) are cross shopping with Leica. I’m sure there’s a small minority that do/will but they’re the exception.

I didn’t take your criticism as anti-Fuji at all. You were simply expressing your concerns. It’s all fair game. I tried a GFX R the other day and disliked it. I understand.
Nelson - you are too much of a gentleman to ever disagree with someone's personal preferences - I didnt mean my post to convey that impression. Re people switching from Fuji to Leica - hahahah I totally agree - very little chance of that for all sorts of reasons. However there are people who (like me) are very right eyed biased and really like the viewfinder on the left end of a camera body (what marketers are calling 'rangefinder style' ) rather than around midway - so in film dats I p[referred to shoot with XPan/Mamiya711 and Leica M

these days for mirrorless the choices are pretty limited - gets down to XPro-3 / Leica CL or M and Sony 6 series. I will try out an XPro-3 but I suspect that I won't be prepared to accept an EVF that isn't as good as the XT-3.

Getting more 'precise' with my concerns on EVF : The OVF 'hybrid viewfinder' gives a magnification of .52X, sorry I can't work with that kind of view...and if one wishes to employ manual focus- really on focus by wire lenses? too hard for me...or maybe my typical use for snap shotters is - snap shot as in fast.
Meanwhile - the EVF has the same number of pixels as XT-3 but magnification is .66X V Fuji XT-3 at .75X.
Serious differences in actual viewfinder and therefore shooting experience.

iiiNelson

Nelson - you are too much of a gentleman to ever disagree with someone's personal preferences - I didnt mean my post to convey that impression. Re people switching from Fuji to Leica - hahahah I totally agree - very little chance of that for all sorts of reasons. However there are people who (like me) are very right eyed biased and really like the viewfinder on the left end of a camera body (what marketers are calling 'rangefinder style' ) rather than around midway - so in film dats I p[referred to shoot with XPan/Mamiya711 and Leica M

these days for mirrorless the choices are pretty limited - gets down to XPro-3 / Leica CL or M and Sony 6 series. I will try out an XPro-3 but I suspect that I won't be prepared to accept an EVF that isn't as good as the XT-3.

Getting more 'precise' with my concerns on EVF : The OVF 'hybrid viewfinder' gives a magnification of .52X, sorry I can't work with that kind of view...and if one wishes to employ manual focus- really on focus by wire lenses? too hard for me...or maybe my typical use for snap shotters is - snap shot as in fast.
Meanwhile - the EVF has the same number of pixels as XT-3 but magnification is .66X V Fuji XT-3 at .75X.
Well that’s a real physiological issue. Like I eluded to, that’s a fair observation and reasoning for wanting to shift to Leica or Sony. If cost isn’t an issue, and it’s a backup kit I believe that Leica might be a better option than Sony but if you shoot Sony FE then the APS-C bodies are a natural option for consideration.

Pelorus

I'm like you Pete, I prefer a "rangefinder" style viewing experience - a window on the left hand end of the body. I'm looking - literally - for something to stuff in a jacket pocket. I had a look at the XE-3, which I think is the forgotten Fuji in a way. It's seriously small and light - 335g or something. However the VF experience isn't the greatest and there's a noticeable lag switching between screen and viewfinder and back again. With a small prime it absolutely fits the bill and is surprisingly capable. I just don't know about the whole VF thing.

Does anyone have user experience with the XE-3?

rayyan

While not having held or seen an xp3 in person, and going by what I have viewed and read:

My xp2 serves me fine. I want to pick it up and photograph something. Can’t say what it is, just fits my crappy way of shooting.

I am not into landscapes that much.And the few I do, the xp2 suffices.

I have access, when it comes in from the cold!, to the xt3 and have used it. It’s tech is wasted on me.
The xh1 is back from repair, except some cosmetics, which I didn’t want to pay for. Wasted purchase, for me.

I Dont see the benefit of a xp3 to justify its purchase, for me.

But I wish it and its buyers all success.

Thorkil

I'm like you Pete, I prefer a "rangefinder" style viewing experience - a window on the left hand end of the body. I'm looking - literally - for something to stuff in a jacket pocket. I had a look at the XE-3, which I think is the forgotten Fuji in a way. It's seriously small and light - 335g or something. However the VF experience isn't the greatest and there's a noticeable lag switching between screen and viewfinder and back again. With a small prime it absolutely fits the bill and is surprisingly capable. I just don't know about the whole VF thing.

Yep
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/35546-fun-fuji-x-___-101.html#post762337
a very fine camera, very mature compared to size.
I use it too little, but I won't sell, dreaming on using it more, with that magical 18/2 on..
its just as a pocket-XT2/3 to me...
perhaps I sell both the XT2 and XT3 and keep the X-E3 with just the 90/2(the purest-magic-drawing-lens-at-all), 16/1.4 the 18/2 - and perhaps the tiny pancake 27/2.8 when it shall be nearest-possible-pocket-camera (and you really don't want to bring anything..)

PeterA

Interesting you bring the XE-3 up Pelorus - may be worth looking at as a small compact and left side viewfinder option ...

Photon42

Yep
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/fuji/35546-fun-fuji-x-___-101.html#post762337
a very fine camera, very mature compared to size.
I use it too little, but I won't sell, dreaming on using it more, with that magical 18/2 on..
its just as a pocket-XT2/3 to me...
perhaps I sell both the XT2 and XT3 and keep the X-E3 with just the 90/2(the purest-magic-drawing-lens-at-all), 16/1.4 the 18/2 - and perhaps the tiny pancake 27/2.8 when it shall be nearest-possible-pocket-camera (and you really don't want to bring anything..)
When I had the Xp1, I only had two native lenses with it for a long time: the 2/18 and the 1.4/35. Would buy them again if I ever go back to the XP world. I noticed that this was probably the camera I used the most for street, due to its optical view finder and the autofocus. I still like the concept, but I don't really want (again) another system, and I am not prepared yet to sell anything. Still got my X100F, which sits nicely between the 18 and 35, got a central shutter and a flash attached.

Pelorus

Well for better or worse, and despite this post we have just taken advantage of some very aggressive pricing and bought an X Pro 3.

We've been talking about rounding out the kit with something pocketable. I mentioned the XE3 above but in the end we decided to go with the XP3. Mainly autofocus and VF is better than the XE3.

I finally decided that the screen wasn't that big an issue, despite that post :ROTFL:

My other half when she saw the XP2 in my hands said "it's much too small for you" - it disappears in my paws. But in fact I think it will be OK. Just have to wait 3 weeks for delivery now. :(

I think I saw Dante's little brother running around this thread just now...

Shashin

Pelorus, congrats on the XP3. I am sure it is going to be a fine camera. It is funny, the XP3 screen was not that much of an issue for me. Yes, it was an unusual design move, but it did give some flexibility to use the X Pro at waist level. There is some functionality in the XP3 that is really attractive like the RAW HDR and frame averaging.

What really did not work for me in the X Pro3 was the loss of the dual-magnification OVF. That is really important for the use of both the XF14 and XF50--there are no frame lines for the XF14, but the entire field of the OVF approximated it well enough. So with my lenses, 14mm, 23mm, 50mm, and 90mm, the XP2/1 OVF design is important. And I am one of the few XP2 owners that relies on the OVF for most of my shooting. I am sure the EVF is much better in the XP3, and while I use the LCD, I never really connected with EVFs. Given Fuji have determined their user-base primarily uses the EVF, I doubt the dual-magnification OVF will make it back in future models.

Speaking of Dante, I have a second XP2 on order. :toocool: Could not miss the chance of the Fuji end of the year promotion. :grin:

Pelorus

Thanks Will, I suspect I might be a predominantly EVF shooter. I am that with the 50R and I doubt this will be different. Initially this will be a one lens kit. It _does_ fit in my jacket pocket and for better or worse we've chosen the 35/2.0 lens. It's not a pancake but it seems to be the best compromise for size, weight, image quality and WR.

I'd be interested in feedback on that lens...now that we've stumped our money.:)

In a way this will initially be a very capable P&S. It will pair with both the Alpa STC and the 50R to fill a gap in the kit. Bit shocking when you say it like that :p

Regards
Mike

Pelorus, congrats on the XP3. I am sure it is going to be a fine camera. It is funny, the XP3 screen was not that much of an issue for me. Yes, it was an unusual design move, but it did give some flexibility to use the X Pro at waist level. There is some functionality in the XP3 that is really attractive like the RAW HDR and frame averaging.

What really did not work for me in the X Pro3 was the loss of the dual-magnification OVF. That is really important for the use of both the XF14 and XF50--there are no frame lines for the XF14, but the entire field of the OVF approximated it well enough. So with my lenses, 14mm, 23mm, 50mm, and 90mm, the XP2/1 OVF design is important. And I am one of the few XP2 owners that relies on the OVF for most of my shooting. I am sure the EVF is much better in the XP3, and while I use the LCD, I never really connected with EVFs. Given Fuji have determined their user-base primarily uses the EVF, I doubt the dual-magnification OVF will make it back in future models.

Speaking of Dante, I have a second XP2 on order. :toocool: Could not miss the chance of the Fuji end of the year promotion. :grin:

neilss

I handled an X-Pro3 yesterday for the first time. That was Saturday, Friday I had taken my sold X-Pro2 to UPS. I have some sellers remorse. After having the P2 for a year I got an X-H1 on that crazy sale. I found I loved the larger better EVF. I found i really like a folding screen. A few other features on the H I found I really like are also on the P3 but not the P2. I shot Leica film M's for decades and loved the finder but turns out i seldom used it on the P2. The Pr0 2 was barely used after getting the XH.

So the X-Pro3. I liked it very much. Side by side to the XH the EVF of the P3 is every bit as good and far better if you are an EVF user than the P2. The AF is very good and tracking in C-AF is very good. I had borrowed a friends X-T30 during the week. This was my first glimpse into how much better it would be over the P2 (BTW the XH is faster/better than the P2, double the computer power vs the P2 and X-T2). Other things of the P3 are very P2 like. The learning curve will be very short. The folding screen=so what to me. It's fine. I'm not chimper.

So really the P3 has what I felt the P2 lacked and for the most part the XH has, great AF and a better EVF. I will be getting a Pro3, should have yesterday but I felt that I needed more than 24 hours between the departure of the 2 to make way for the 3. WHY.

Also tried for the first time since an early rental X-E2 a 23mm 1.4 My god the AF is far far faster on an XH/P3 than what I got on that X-E2. Very nice if a bit large.

Neil