The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X-Pro3

Pelorus

I've got a Sandisk Extreme Pro - 170MB/s - in mine. It seems perfectly fine. Blasting away at 11fps however it fills up the buffer and stops after 5.5s or so - that's with uncompressed RAW and fine JPG. I don't even know whether you could get more with a faster card...the camera may be the bottleneck. I don't do video.

This page from Fuji may be helpful.

Never owned this cam before. Any help on the optimal SD card speed for the Xpro3?

I.e., is 150mb/s too slow and is 300mb/s too fast? Thanks.

Pelorus

Well spotted!! I don't do much rapid burst stuff, but I have a 300mb/s card in the 50R - perhaps I should swap them around. Having said that Fuji also say that the buffer is only good for 36 or 37 uncompressed RAW files so that may really be the limiting factor.

Thanks Pelorus
I see on that link it mentions for rapid burst shooting a 300mb/s card is recommended.

Pelorus

It's a good review which gets to the heart of the XPro3 in some ways.

As for the ISO dial...I've never used it and probably never will, I couldn't imagine using it. On both this and the 50R I have the front command dial set to ISO/Aperture and toggle with a front fn button. The back command dial does shutter speed. It works well.

I have two other ergonomic beefs though: the front command dial on the 50R is concentric with the shutter button. This one isn't - it's narrower and set lower. Shifting between the two cameras is a fumble every time until you get the dial under your finger. It would be nice if it was seamless.

The shutter button on the XPro3 feels like it's just in the "wrong" place. It seems too far in from the end of the body and doesn't fall under my - quite large - finger naturally. Added to that there seems to be something about the tactile feel of the shutter button that's different to the 50R and again I find myself fumbling when I change between cameras. The 50R is better in the "top right" area for me than the XPro3.

Minor niggles however. I think it's a fantastic camera and that guy nailed several of the intangibles of using a camera like this. Kudos to him for that.

neilss

I've now had my P3 for better than a week. My gripes with other Fuji cameras while maybe minor have for the most part been addressed. Low light AF is very very good, fast and accurate. These days that shouldn't be hard for a manufacturer to provide but to me Fuji seemed behind till now. I still think others may be better in some respects but this camera is very good. Sony may rule Mirrorless camera AF. Low light means what I just shot this morning. ISO 12,800, 2.8, 1/160-1/125 with a rental 50-140 at 140mm. I will post images but this sh*t is sharp. IBIS in lens helps. The eye AF nailed and tracked the eye very well. My Pro2 or XH would have struggled some at this light level. The subject was not static so the tracking was impressive.

The EVF is very good. Again I only had an X-Pro2 and was wowed when I got my X-H1. X-H1/Pro3 EVF specs match a Nikon Z6/7 on paper and in hand the are super close. Pro3 EVF is very good.

I shot Classic Neg, also the same Classic neg shots again with the color,highlight,shadow at -2. That's a nice combo. When ISO's get this high I dial back the NR to -2 and sharpness to -1 or -2. This is jpg only of course but I like to see if I can get a dead nuts on jpg just cuz I may want to. The in camera jpgs sometimes offer something a RAW file tweeked to death just doesn't. Acros adds it's own grain that at 12,800 can be a bit much but I also don't want the in camera NR to smudge it much. It's all a moving target.

Folding display. So what. It just doesn't matter to me. I'm not a chimper and when I've set what I want in the Q menu or wherever I move on and shoot.

So here's a question or maybe a comment....... Many online, on forum etc etc reviewers or users who complain about the display also claim to be RAW shooters only. Now to me if all the stuff the Q menu offers for example isn't even needed 'cuz you are a RAW purist the folding display should barely matter at all right? Most every function I may change on the back of my XH1 I can change with a fn button on the Pro3 while looking through the finder. What I used to do on the back of the camera I now do i the finder with fn buttons and the joystick. It's not a hardship.

Anyhow the Pro3 is a nice camera.

Neil

darr

I've now had my P3 for better than a week. My gripes with other Fuji cameras while maybe minor have for the most part been addressed. Low light AF is very very good, fast and accurate. These days that shouldn't be hard for a manufacturer to provide but to me Fuji seemed behind till now. I still think others may be better in some respects but this camera is very good. Sony may rule Mirrorless camera AF. Low light means what I just shot this morning. ISO 12,800, 2.8, 1/160-1/125 with a rental 50-140 at 140mm. I will post images but this sh*t is sharp. IBIS in lens helps. The eye AF nailed and tracked the eye very well. My Pro2 or XH would have struggled some at this light level. The subject was not static so the tracking was impressive.

The EVF is very good. Again I only had an X-Pro2 and was wowed when I got my X-H1. X-H1/Pro3 EVF specs match a Nikon Z6/7 on paper and in hand the are super close. Pro3 EVF is very good.

I shot Classic Neg, also the same Classic neg shots again with the color,highlight,shadow at -2. That's a nice combo. When ISO's get this high I dial back the NR to -2 and sharpness to -1 or -2. This is jpg only of course but I like to see if I can get a dead nuts on jpg just cuz I may want to. The in camera jpgs sometimes offer something a RAW file tweeked to death just doesn't. Acros adds it's own grain that at 12,800 can be a bit much but I also don't want the in camera NR to smudge it much. It's all a moving target.

Folding display. So what. It just doesn't matter to me. I'm not a chimper and when I've set what I want in the Q menu or wherever I move on and shoot.

So here's a question or maybe a comment....... Many online, on forum etc etc reviewers or users who complain about the display also claim to be RAW shooters only. Now to me if all the stuff the Q menu offers for example isn't even needed 'cuz you are a RAW purist the folding display should barely matter at all right? Most every function I may change on the back of my XH1 I can change with a fn button on the Pro3 while looking through the finder. What I used to do on the back of the camera I now do i the finder with fn buttons and the joystick. It's not a hardship.

Anyhow the Pro3 is a nice camera.

Neil
Thank you Neil for taking time out of your busy day to share your experience and thoughts thus far using your XP3.
I too have the XP2 (also XE2 and x100T) and will be upgrading to the XP3 in the near future.
I am waiting for the Silver color to become available as I am keeping my XP2 to have it IR converted and I want to be able to distinguish between the two sitting in a bag quickly.

Anyhow I appreciate how you have addressed the complaint about the screen and I also am not a chimper, so I get what you say.

Amazing to me is the complaints I hear a lot about the ISO dial.
Maybe bc I come from the film era it is not such a big deal,
and since I use auto ISO settings more often than not.

Thank you again!
Darr

neilss

Darr, I don't get it about the ISO dial either but I'm in my 60's and I remember when that was the way every camera was. Being a Fuji you can dedicate another dial to doing the ISO changing. Auto ISO is very good though in lots of instances so I do use that sometimes. For decades I used cameras that had no meters at all. Modern meters and algorithms are so so good. I'll use whatever.

Here are a couple of Pro3 frames. The eye detection is really good even in poor light. I am a guy who moves the focus point to where I want it for my composition and the Eye AF is kinda doing that for me.

Here are a couple of frames from the 50-140 I'm renting. Both are at 2.8, one lit with an LED in a 30 yr old Chimera XS small bank and the other ( BW shot) just late afternoon window light I may have made these too small, I need to look at what the site accepts for dimensions

The BW shot is ISO 12,800 Acros 120mm 2.8 1/100 While it may seem too noisy/grainy on a display I know from experience that if it were printed it would be far less apparent.

Color shot, LED , ISO 2000 Eterna profile 2.8 1/60 140mm

Tjhat lens is really good even wide open and the in lens IS is very effective

Neil

Attachments

neilss

Well the images are a ton sharper than the appear here. What are the best specs for uploads? Longest side dimensions? Tips please?

I just did an Instagram size export from Exposure 5 Too small no doubt

Thanks

Neil

darr

Well the images are a ton sharper than the appear here. What are the best specs for uploads? Longest side dimensions? Tips please?

I just did an Instagram size export from Exposure 5 Too small no doubt

Thanks

Neil
Neil,

For displaying photos on getDPI, I use 1500 pixels wide for horizontal shots and 1000 pixels high for vertical shots. I also find png files work well.
With so many different browsers and cloud services it can be hard to say what works best or how others view what you post.

Your images look excellent!!

Kind regards,
Darr

Pelorus

About that screen...

Having used the X-Pro 3 for a couple of weeks now, it's fair to say I've become a fan of the rear screen setup. When the camera was first released on 23 October I went and had a look at it at Fujifilm in Tokyo Midtown. I said on these forums that I didn't think it was for me. I thought at that time that the rear screen would be an embuggerance (proper and good word) and that I'd probably end up wanting to tear it off the camera.

I've come to really appreciate the screen. It's quick and easy to deploy, it caters for the most common shooting scenario where I want a screen - down low - and as I'm not a chimper I'm not troubled that it's not always there. It only moves in one plane and there's no complex articulation to have to "pull out and then press down". It's simply a single movement.

I think Fuji have been brave with the screen, simply because I think people will be initially put off. If people use the camera I think many will become fans of the screen.

Pelorus

High(er) ISO...

This might be old hat to many of you, but for me it's all new - seeing how this smaller sensor delivers at higher ISO.

The picture is cropped a little - perhaps 20%. It was processed in Capture One 20. Prior to processing there was substantial noise visible throughout, and particularly "grain" type noise on the light coloured wall. In addition there were artefacts in various places. Noise reduction helped quite a lot, however it also softened the image. I applied a little sharpening to try and compensate.

There are clear "worm-like" artefacts in the brindle area in front of this ear and behind and above his eye. Before processing this was quite ugly. Now...it's just OK.

So without pixel peeping and becoming obsessive the sensor appears OK at up to about 6400 ISO but with clear noise and artefacts, really better at less than that. As always it's a trade off between the shot or no shot.

Pelorus

The cloth and the duratec...

The Duratec Black version of the X-Pro 3 comes with a very thick, plush, microfibre cloth. I suspect that the ordinary black camera doesn't score the same cloth from something I saw.

The Duratec finish gets grubby really quickly and is really hard to clean - the marks will not rub off. However if you use The Cloth to clean a lens filter, rather than the body, it leaves a whole heap of slightly sticky "scunge" on the filter that's quite hard to clean off.

It appears that The Cloth may have something impregnated in it in an attempt to help clean the Duratec...it's a futile attempt if that's the case.

Every other microfibre cloth I have does an admirable job of cleaning lens filters...just not this one.

If you have OCD tendencies...buy the plain black X-Pro 3...it comes clean :)

rayyan

I have handled the XP3 in the shop.
I had with me my XP2 and 1 Lens.

I took some snaps with both cameras.
Viewed them at home.

I am not a connoisseur of anything!
I can appreciate beautifully designed objects.
Animate or otherwise.

Looks n feels good. Looks wise my XP2
Got a ‘ polish ‘

To me...has it got the beef to supersede
my XP2.

For me, simply no. Realistic considerations.

Picture quality? If push came to shove..
very marginally better, if at all.
I realize the new simulations, the video
etc. cream on top if anything.

I do have the XT3. Same sensor. And say
what one likes, the X-Trans is marvelous
for many things...most everything but I
am not convinced it handles foliage based
landscapes equally well as a Bayer sensor.

I give credit to Fuji for bringing the XP3.
I also believe it to be the right product for
many.

For me, though, it is like someone I would
love to take to a party.

But not invite to meet my family.

Of course, others might be more correct
in their reasons for the choice.

I don’t envy them.
I wish them good light.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
X-Pro 3...the movie :D

A video by Mindy Tan about the development of the X-Pro 3, released just this afternoon.

Many thanks for posting!

I saw this report and I really enjoyed it. More so I now think I really understand the philosophy behind Fujifilm camera products much better than I did before. What they develop and produce is really something that makes them being proud of. Not many other camera vendors can say the same.

That makes me see Fujifilm cameras from now on in a totally different light :thumbs:

darr

I returned a rented X-Pro3 (XP3) today. I used the camera for some in-studio commercial work and for copying 135 and 6x6 negatives.

I am impressed. It is a breeze to use on a copy stand as the screen displays the proper view to see the film or whatever you are copying without having to look over the camera as with the X-Pro2 (XP2). The files are a tad better IMO, and I can see the improvements Fujifilm has been working on. The feel of the camera body is a little different than the XP2 and I attribute it to the titanium that the XP2 does not have. It feels a tad more compact to me.

I take delivery of one tomorrow. I thought I would buy one because I wanted the screen, but I was a little surprised on how the body feels a little more compact in my hand. I will probably sell my x100T kit and my X-E2 IR cameras now. A surprise for me was deciding to let go of the x100T because I will use the XP3 as my all-around camera with a 23mm lens.

Everyone has different needs, different eyes and different hands. I am just thankful Fujifilm fits all of these for me because I can afford Fujifilm!

Kind regards,
Darr

Here is one of the negatives that was copied with the XP3 and it is about 35 years-old:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I returned a rented X-Pro3 (XP3) today. I used the camera for some in-studio commercial work and for copying 135 and 6x6 negatives.

I am impressed. It is a breeze to use on a copy stand as the screen displays the proper view to see the film or whatever you are copying without having to look over the camera as with the X-Pro2 (XP2). The files are a tad better IMO, and I can see the improvements Fujifilm has been working on. The feel of the camera body is a little different than the XP2 and I attribute it to the titanium that the XP2 does not have. It feels a tad more compact to me.

I take delivery of one tomorrow. I thought I would buy one because I wanted the screen, but I was a little surprised on how the body feels a little more compact in my hand. I will probably sell my x100T kit and my X-E2 IR cameras now. A surprise for me was deciding to let go of the x100T because I will use the XP3 as my all-around camera with a 23mm lens.

Everyone has different needs, different eyes and different hands. I am just thankful Fujifilm fits all of these for me because I can afford Fujifilm!

Kind regards,
Darr

Here is one of the negatives that was copied with the XP3 and it is about 35 years-old:

What lens do you use for that copy work?

darr

What lens do you use for that copy work?
Hi Peter,

I use the Zeiss Touit 50ƒ2.8 for 6x6 negatives like the cat above.
For making contact sheets of a Print File page, I use the Fuji 23ƒ2.

Best regards,
Darr