The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The X-Pro3

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Peter,

I use the Zeiss Touit 50ƒ2.8 for 6x6 negatives like the cat above.
For making contact sheets of a Print File page, I use the Fuji 23ƒ2.

Best regards,
Darr
Hi Darlene,

did you ever try the Fuji X 2.8/80 Macro lens? Just curious ....

Best

Peter

darr

Hi Darlene,

did you ever try the Fuji X 2.8/80 Macro lens? Just curious ....

Best

Peter
Yes, Peter I have. I rented a bunch of Fuji lenses a few years ago to see what lenses I liked and it included the 80/2.8 macro. While the 80 macro was a nice lens, the Zeiss Touit 50/2.8 macro became available used for a very fair price when I was shopping for a macro. The Fuji 80/2.8 at the time was only available new. I have a lot of experience with macro lenses and as long as they work as they should, I did not care if it was the Fuji 80/2.8 or the Touit 50/2.8.

Kind regards,
Darr

Pelorus

In the process of getting to know my new 16/1.4 I have unearthed what appears to be a bug in the X-Pro 3.

These shots were taken at f1.4 and are of a cushion...which appears to be covered in dog hair:p

The first shot is taken from a distance of about 20-30cm - so well outside minimum focus distance. As you can see the plane of focus is very thin and the cushion is BLUE:

The second shot is taken close to but not at the minimum focus distance. At some point between the previous shot and this one the shot turned black and white in the viewfinder and is black and white to all intents when viewed in C1.

The settings are exactly the same for each shot...the only thing that changed was the focus distance.

These two shots were both on Auto white balance, however the same thing happens on Daylight white balance.

The same thing does not happen when focusing on a non-backlit reddish surface - it retains its colour to close to minimum focus distance.

It sort of feels like a bug but I may be missing something.

Postscript: On further testing this appears when almost the whole picture is of the blue fabric. If the picture contains enough background/other colours then it remains blue, so long as the shutter button remains depressed in S mode you can then move into a situation where the whole picture is blue and it will remain blue. A red cushion of the same material in the same position does not exhibit the problem.

Last edited:

pegelli

In the process of getting to know my new 16/1.4 I have unearthed what appears to be a bug in the X-Pro 3.
Interesting, it might have to do with Automatic White Balancing.

Are you shooting raw or jpg?

In case of jpg you could try to set a manual white balance (daylight/shadow, .. whatever) repeat the experiment and see if there's still a difference in colour between the two shots.

In case of raw just look at the temp/tint sliders in your raw converter of the two shots above and look if the colours become the same when you set these at the same values for both shots.

Hope this helps.

PeterA

@Pelorus firstly congratulations on the 16/1.4 - secondly how weird is the colour shift !!

Pelorus

Thanks for this!! I always shoot both RAW and JPG. The grey shot the colour temp had set to 7445 and the tint to 10.5 vs the correct colour which set to 5736 and 6.1. Aligning the grey shot to the correct colour shot values resolved the issue.

My issue is that the camera should not do that, I think that's a firmware issue.

Kind regards
Mike

Interesting, it might have to do with Automatic White Balancing.

Are you shooting raw or jpg?

In case of jpg you could try to set a manual white balance (daylight/shadow, .. whatever) repeat the experiment and see if there's still a difference in colour between the two shots.

In case of raw just look at the temp/tint sliders in your raw converter of the two shots above and look if the colours become the same when you set these at the same values for both shots.

Hope this helps.

pegelli

My issue is that the camera should not do that, I think that's a firmware issue.
I'm glad the problem is now at least understood. Indeed a bug in the AWB algorithm. Hope they can fix it with a firmware update, Fuji is always updating their firmware to fix bugs and add new features, the only thing is you (or someone else) should tell them about this.

Pelorus

Agreed, I'm just not sure about the best way to convey this information to them - Japan would seem the logical spot, but they only have a generic contact form on their website...

I'm glad the problem is now at least understood. Indeed a bug in the AWB algorithm. Hope they can fix it with a firmware update, Fuji is always updating their firmware to fix bugs and add new features, the only thing is you (or someone else) should tell them about this.

Pelorus

Firmware 1.04 Released. Fuji's announcement:

The firmware update Ver.1.04 from Ver.1.03 incorporates the following issue:

The phenomenon is fixed that in rare case, the electrical viewfinder display doesn’t work well.

Pelorus

I just spoke with Fuji tech support about something else and they confirmed that 1.04 is for the EVF "flare" issue where the viewfinder image blows out. They "highly recommended" that I install it and made a passing comment that it was for EVFs where this "hadn't happened yet"... Make of that what you will.

Firmware 1.04 Released. Fuji's announcement:

The firmware update Ver.1.04 from Ver.1.03 incorporates the following issue:

The phenomenon is fixed that in rare case, the electrical viewfinder display doesn’t work well.

neilss

OK so I will do the new update. Funny sorta story...... I had my Pro3 for a week (this was December before Christmas) or so and all of a sudden the EVF went super bright. What the hell I thought! I turned it off and on, battery check etc etc...
I'm pretty sure even the optical finder and the back display were also blown out, maybe not the optical. So I called Fuji and they said yup they'd heard of it and to return the camera. I hadn't sent in any warranty info yet so I went in to B&H, an hour train ride and swapped it no problem.

This weekend I was out shooting and again the finder was blown out. NOOOOOOO I was me, I had the +/- EV set to "C" front dial for adjustment. I had moved the EV knob from C to +3 blowing out the finder as I pulled the camera from my pocket. I was really glad to see that.

I will still do the update.

Neil

neilss

So do you guys have as much trouble as I do getting the phone and camera to pair to download and then load the firmware, or do anything Bluetooth for that matter? I know I can load the firmware to a card but I've done it this way before. The Bluetooth connection is always hit or miss.

Why is this system so bad?

Neil

Pelorus

G'day Neil,

I have a love/hate relationship with the iPhone app. Sometimes - like when I did the 1.04 update - it connects quickly and seamlessly. Other times it won't connect at all. I find the BT connection pretty reliable. It's the transition to WiFi that's the problem for me. Its supposed to make that transition whenever it needs to transfer anything more than a little data. The existing BT connection is supposed to make the transition to WiFi reliable and quick...but I don't always find it so. The worst is I can't discern a set of circumstances that are either reliable or conversely problematic. It seems random.

Regards
Mike

So do you guys have as much trouble as I do getting the phone and camera to pair to download and then load the firmware, or do anything Bluetooth for that matter? I know I can load the firmware to a card but I've done it this way before. The Bluetooth connection is always hit or miss.

Why is this system so bad?

Neil