The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 50R - what size F-Stop ICU?

Pelorus

Unfortunately with the race to online sales it's increasingly difficult to try out bags and see if they work.

I'm looking for experiences with the 50R and F-Stop ICUs. I'd like the smallest sensible ICU for a small kit - the 50R and the two zooms.

The best outcome would be if someone can tell me that they are using that kit out of the Pro Small ICU :) I think it will fit and I'm sick of choosing gear that's oversized for the job. It's essentially just that gear, a spare battery and some memory cards, plus a microfibre cloth.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
Mike

Knorp

Yes, and there is Rose and Amanda too.
I checked the ICU models and I'd say the PRO ICU - SMALL seems the best bet, but it also depends perhaps what lens is mounted.

Screenshot 2019-09-24 at 19.20.36.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Two zooms?

I just fit a GFX100 body, the 32-64/4, and the 110/2 in a small Pro ICU. If any of your lenses are more than six inches long, it could be a problem. You could replace one of those with the 23/4 WITH hood attached.

I don't use the EVF, but the 50R body is about the same thickness as a GFX100 without EVF. (Check camerasize.com)

You probably couldn't do it with a lens attached to the body, and I can't speak for the 50R, but I think it's smaller than the 100.

Matt

That's a suspiciously tight squeeze on the MF lenses in f-stop’s picture above. The height (as oriented in that picture) is 7". Most of the GF lenses are around 3 1/2" wide, so that leaves no room for the padded divider. But There's plenty of room to put them next to each other, and have the body and accessories in the 3" or so space left over

Last edited:

Pelorus

Matt, thank you! That's an incredibly useful picture.

The picture I had in my head was:

50R as you have the 100 in that bag with the 100-200 "above" it, as per your lenses, but lying down (left to right in the bag as pictured). There would then be "gap" in the bottom right corner which _should_ be large enough for the 32-64 standing on end - the vertical height is fine, it's just whether the gap is indeed big enough. The gap between the end of the 100-200 and the end of the bag would be 84mm and the full width of the bag would be available so it _should_ work - the lens is 92.6mm diameter.

My use case - the backpack it has to go in - relies on the ICU being less than 26.2cm from the bottom of the picture to the top as you have the ICU sitting. No other ICU meets that criteria ;) The left to right dimension can be as much as 56cm and the ICU is 26.7cm, similarly the vertical dimension in your picture (that is looking straight into the picture) is 16.5cm and it can be as much as 25cm to fit in the knapsack.

Hmmm.

Many thanks
Mike

Two zooms?

I just fit a GFX100 body, the 32-64/4, and the 110/2 in a small Pro ICU. If any of your lenses are more than six inches long, it could be a problem. You could replace one of those with the 23/4 WITH hood attached.

I don't use the EVF, but the 50R body is about the same thickness as a GFX100 without EVF. (Check camerasize.com)

You probably couldn't do it with a lens attached to the body, and I can't speak for the 50R, but I think it's smaller than the 100.

Matt

That's a suspiciously tight squeeze on the MF lenses in f-stop’s picture above. The height (as oriented in that picture) is 7". Most of the GF lenses are around 3 1/2" wide, so that leaves no room for the padded divider. But There's plenty of room to put them next to each other, and have the body and accessories in the 3" or so space left over

Pelorus

What I can now tell you, spurred on by Matt's picture to take the plunge, is that it fits!!

The body goes in the same spot as Matt's; the 100-200 goes lengthwise where Matt has his two lenses tight to the left hand side; the short zoom goes on its end on the bottom right.

Thanks to all.

MGrayson

What I can now tell you, spurred on by Matt's picture to take the plunge, is that it fits!!

The body goes in the same spot as Matt's; the 100-200 goes lengthwise where Matt has his two lenses tight to the left hand side; the short zoom goes on its end on the bottom right.

Thanks to all.
Glad to hear!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I can pack GFX50s vertical, plus 32-64 and 23mm, and then 250 & 100-200 flat in a F-stop Pro large ICU, plus also my filters, TC and viewfinder etc. I cant leave the tilt / VF adapter on the body though so I have to remove those.

MGrayson

On a related note, has anyone found a good solution for too-narrow dividers? Padding for these systems consists of large, thick pieces (walls) that span the width or length of the iCU/Pack, perhaps with bending lines, and separate pieces that fit between these walls and between the walls and the sides of the ICU/pack. These dividers are always designed for FF lenses, and are seldom wide enough for the MF lenses (except Hassy XCD). For Lerica S, Fuji G, and (I imagine) Phase One, the resulting spacing is just too narrow. On the flip side, sometimes a narrower divider is needed when there is a thin section left over.

What do you all do? Are there wider spacers available? Divider kits meant for MF optics? I'm tired of the gaps, which weaken the entire structure and lead to lenses falling out when the bag is vertical.

Thanks,

Matt

scho

On a related note, has anyone found a good solution for too-narrow dividers? Padding for these systems consists of large, thick pieces (walls) that span the width or length of the iCU/Pack, perhaps with bending lines, and separate pieces that fit between these walls and between the walls and the sides of the ICU/pack. These dividers are always designed for FF lenses, and are seldom wide enough for the MF lenses (except Hassy XCD). For Lerica S, Fuji G, and (I imagine) Phase One, the resulting spacing is just too narrow. On the flip side, sometimes a narrower divider is needed when there is a thin section left over.

What do you all do? Are there wider spacers available? Divider kits meant for MF optics? I'm tired of the gaps, which weaken the entire structure and lead to lenses falling out when the bag is vertical.

Thanks,

Matt
I have the same issue and just take the dividers out. Wraps work fine for the lenses.