The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gfx100

Don Libby

I thought I liked the GFX50s however after a 2nd day of shooting the 100 I can say that I love the beast.

I'm currently shooting in the Jackson Hole area where it was a low of 1 and a high of 30 while I was out. I mention that in order to talk about the battery power. I received the camera Wed morning and went straight to work charging the batteries and upgrading the firmware on both lenses and body. At the end of the second day and I'm still reading almost full on one and full on the second. So, so far shooting in cold conditions hasn't affected the power; we'll see if it drops like a rock or is steady decline.

There's a lot to like about this camera, and in no certain order..

I actually like the size which surprises the heck out of me. I feel very comfortable shooting handheld with all my lenses. So far I've used/tested the 23, 32-64, 100-200 and 250 (with and without the TC). I haven't gotten around to my 45 and 120 but hope to in the next couple days.

AF - no issues that wasn't caused by me learning what to do.

High-speed burst - I can't say enough about this gem. I've used this with both the 100-200 and 250 along with the TC shooting moose, buffalo and elk and all I can say I WOW! This in combination of the AF is a real winner.

Shutter release - very delicate however I'm getting used to is.

Remote shutter - I can't begin to thank Fuji enough for placing the remote plug on the oppsite side of the L-bracket. Now when ever I'm set up on a tripod I don't have to worry about extending my Arca Swiss bracket out to plug the remote in.

Speaking of L-brackets - I'm using the same Acra Swiss L bracket from the GFX50s.

Neckstrap - I actually like the one provided and again tank Fuji for not using the same connector as the GFX 50 had. This in my opinion is a much better design.

EVF and LCD screens - The EVF is much better than the GFX50. There's now 3-screens to see information. The top screen is great very much like what Phase One did with the XF. The large LCD appears to be the same as the 50s however the color seems to be better. Then there's the smally LCD underneight whic can provide a wealth of information; I have it set to show the historgram.

There's more to come however I've been out in the cold for close to 12-hrs and am beat.

Later...

Don

iiiNelson

Nice write up and it’s good to read your impressions. I’d love a GFX100 in the 50S body or an updated 50S with the modern upgrades to the body like PDAF, IBIS, or 4k.

Don Libby

Nice write up and it’s good to read your impressions. I’d love a GFX100 in the 50S body or an updated 50S with the modern upgrades to the body like PDAF, IBIS, or 4k.
I hope Graham doesn't read this update :cool:

Thank you. I was very interested in the 100 when it was first announced enough so to pre-order it; then I start seeing actual images showing the size and stepped back as I didn't like the size. Fast forward to earlier this week. I happened to text Anthony Festa at Fotocare letting him know that I might be ordering a 100 after returned from Jackson Hole. Found out he happened to have one that the buyer decided not to get and thanks to FedEx got it here in Jackson the next day.

Went out this morning hunting buffalo which decided not to show up however I was able to continue testing/getting to know the beast that much better. I took a couple shots of antelope using the grip. No issues there even with the Arca Swiss bracket attached; of course I do have large hands. Bit of a learning curve if I continue using the grip however see no real issues.

I did find out by accident that I can use the camera in either orientation while wearing my sunglasses. I normally have to remove them and switch to my regular or shoot without. The EVF works well for me with my sunglasses on.

End of day 3 of shooting and very pleased. Going out in the morning for another sunrise. I hope to add a couple sample images here soon however you can find them on both FB and Instagram under Iron Creek Photography.

More to come...

iiiNelson

I hope Graham doesn't read this update :cool:

Thank you. I was very interested in the 100 when it was first announced enough so to pre-order it; then I start seeing actual images showing the size and stepped back as I didn't like the size. Fast forward to earlier this week. I happened to text Anthony Festa at Fotocare letting him know that I might be ordering a 100 after returned from Jackson Hole. Found out he happened to have one that the buyer decided not to get and thanks to FedEx got it here in Jackson the next day.

Went out this morning hunting buffalo which decided not to show up however I was able to continue testing/getting to know the beast that much better. I took a couple shots of antelope using the grip. No issues there even with the Arca Swiss bracket attached; of course I do have large hands. Bit of a learning curve if I continue using the grip however see no real issues.

I did find out by accident that I can use the camera in either orientation while wearing my sunglasses. I normally have to remove them and switch to my regular or shoot without. The EVF works well for me with my sunglasses on.

End of day 3 of shooting and very pleased. Going out in the morning for another sunrise. I hope to add a couple sample images here soon however you can find them on both FB and Instagram under Iron Creek Photography.

More to come...
I did see your moose shots a few days ago on IG.

Don Libby

No images to share here as I plan on posting them on the Mount Fuji Active thread...

I've been using the GFX100 now for 5-days and seem to have found my retheme. I've shot the majority of the time handheld and can see no issues with the overall weight. I believe my heaviest lens body combination is the 250 with 1.4 TC and find it well balanced.

Auto focus and burst mode have all worked extremely well. Well enough that I'm getting clear sharp images of the critters here in Jackson Hole. Crisp sharp eyes of owls, moose, buffalo and elk. Shot an eagle this morning with the 250/1.4 TC combo and you could count the feathers around the eyes.

I need to post more images here however I've limited time and normally go the easy route of FB and IG.

I'm using the grip shutter more and have no issues there with either it being loose or being able to change settings.

Working on tripod has been great and I really like the placement of the remote shutter release. I now only remove the L-bracket of my Arca Swiss when replacing batteries.

The GFX100 is stacking up to be one hell of a camera system...

More later

Don

bab

Sure your there freezing your cahonies off and I stuck at work wishing I was out making images now your doing with your new TOY and bragging about the damm thing. This is not very fair.

JH is a great spot I tell you a funny story.
one day I was there and having dinner next to a old timer she was the great granddaughter of the man who owned the valley to the east. Her Great Grandfather fought with President Grant over water rights. I said what is your best suggestion to see the animals she told me go out before dark and just after sunrise and you will see more than you care to winner winner chicken dinner.

Have a great time, shoot hard and don't forget digital is FREE so make as many exposures as you have batteries and cards.

algrove

Mount Fuji Active thread...

Strange thread name if I do say so myself.

:grin::facesmack::banghead::OT:

DougDolde

I won't be temped by Dante again to buy a medium format anything except possibly a film camera but not likely even that

Sabrejet

Don,
First let me say I appreciate your review of the GFX100. Are there any issues with the camera up to now?
I do have a question about sensor dust. I know someone that has two Sony mirrorless cameras and now Tony's review that the sensor needs cleaning after a day of shooting leaves me in doubt. He thought maybe without the mirror that might protect it. My question is, have you seen sensor dust as an issue with the GFX100? I thank you for any thoughts on this or any other problems.

ron787

Don,
First let me say I appreciate your review of the GFX100. Are there any issues with the camera up to now?
I do have a question about sensor dust. I know someone that has two Sony mirrorless cameras and now Tony's review that the sensor needs cleaning after a day of shooting leaves me in doubt. He thought maybe without the mirror that might protect it. My question is, have you seen sensor dust as an issue with the GFX100? I thank you for any thoughts on this or any other problems.
I saw your query directed to another, but in the absence of his reply I can say that I am a GFX100 owner/user and have not encountered issues with sensor dust.

Don Libby

Excuse my tardiness in responding however we slept in this morning until 6 then went straight out to work - without coffee!

I now have 3-Fuji cameras at my disposal; GFX50s, XT-3 and GFX100. I have had no issues with sensor dust or having to be surper careful in cleaning. Sandy's A7r IV on the otherhad appears to be a dust magnet either on the lens or sensor.

The GFX 50 and 100 both go through a sensor cleaning each time ther are turned off. I'm also very careful whenever I need to switch lenses.

I've put the 50 aside shortly after getting the 100 and will decided what to do with it when we return home in Nov; the current plan is to see it as I simple don't see a reason to keep it.

I've now had the 100 8-days shooting in freezing cold weather and haven't had an moments issue that I didn't cause. I've been able to track herds of buffal and elk using AF and burst with great success. I've shot owls and eagle likewise. Most of the shooting has been handheld with the 250 and 1.4TC and have been getting close to 100% success rate.

I simply can't say enough good about the 100. I will admit to be put off by the advertized size and cancelled by orginal order. I've had no issues with the size or weight and feel very comfortable using it either handheld or on tripod.

Will write more later. We're expecting winter to hit the Jackson Hole area with bouts of snow and rain and am looking forward to using the 100 much more.

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So my choice is Blue Ring lenses on my XF/IQ4 150 vs the awesome GFX 100? Obviously Dante says Doh - both! But I’m torn because the IQ4 is a level above in image quality but not versatility. The GFX 100 with my full set of GF lenses is superb. The IQ4 & XF boat anchor plus the best SK XF lenses and my tech cam lenses are a level above. However, I’ll carry my GFX everyday but the IQ4 systems only on special occasions ... ugh.