The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gfx100

algrove

So my choice is Blue Ring lenses on my XF/IQ4 150 vs the awesome GFX 100? Obviously Dante says Doh - both! But I’m torn because the IQ4 is a level above in image quality but not versatility. The GFX 100 with my full set of GF lenses is superb. The IQ4 & XF boat anchor plus the best SK XF lenses and my tech cam lenses are a level above. However, I’ll carry my GFX everyday but the IQ4 systems only on special occasions ... ugh.
Ever since relieving myself of my XF+5 lens boat anchor I celebrated. But now I like my 50R so much that I am debating ditching the Phase Achromatic/Alpa 5 lens kit altogether some day for the Fuji 100 and thus having only one lens system to carry.

Was debating getting the A7r4 for street with say a Zeiss 25 or 40 after no more M gear, but will delay that decision until after having a chance to try the 50R+50 f3.5 for street use. Don's sensor dust comment sure gives me pause. Wonder if when changing lenses on the Sony is camera turned off during changing and with maximum protection possible from winds and elements?

We all have choices and that's my 2 cents.

Don Libby

I've been away from everything Phase One for several years having sold it all shortly after getting the 50s and must say I don't miss it.

I like the size of the 50s and wish the 100 would have been closer to it however I've now been using it for over a week and find I like it each day that much more. I like the idea of a one lens system which I have with the GFX system. I haven't been capturing much landscape this past week but what I've done is great. The majority of the recent work has been wildlife; owls, eagles, elk, buffalo and moose. The AF is outstanding and the burst rate of the 100 is unbelievable.

My comment on dust with the A7r IV concerns a single dust spot which we can't seem to get rid of on one lens. I don't like that you have to manually do a sensor cleaning on the Sony however we've been doing that on a daily basis and the sensor seems to be clean. We'll keep at the lenses and hope to have the one-spot gone before too long.

Speaking of dust - I have used all my lenses switching back and forth and have had no issue with any dust.

More later

Don

Sabrejet

If you want more about the Sony A7RIV dust issue, got to youtube, Tony Northrup and find his 5 things he does not like about it.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
So my choice is Blue Ring lenses on my XF/IQ4 150 vs the awesome GFX 100? Obviously Dante says Doh - both! But I’m torn because the IQ4 is a level above in image quality but not versatility. The GFX 100 with my full set of GF lenses is superb. The IQ4 & XF boat anchor plus the best SK XF lenses and my tech cam lenses are a level above. However, I’ll carry my GFX everyday but the IQ4 systems only on special occasions ... ugh.
You just need a good sherpa.

Pelorus

I think it tells you something when we say that we'll carry the GFX every day!! I've been carrying around a 50R and the wide zoom all day...and it's still a bit of a brick. :p So the comparison is what's important I guess. It's easier than the STC, etc.

PeterA

There is something to be said about having a bunch of gear just sitting there waiting for that special trip/occassion/shoot....just waiting waiting waiting...

been there - still there:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Paul2660

So true.

And to add with the Fuji, the ability to hand hold, excellent AF with multiple AF points and great image quality, it’s not a tough call.

My only issues so far with the Fuji are AF with flat low contrast subjects (clouds) and real inability for manually focus in low light. Since the lenses are all focus by wire, the lack of a infinity mark makes manually focusing in low light sunrise or sunset scenes when AF fails.

Paul C

gerald.d

Hi all -

Would someone with a GFX100 be so kind as to measure the distance that the grip extends out from the lens mount (not the front surface of the camera - the actual lens mount). Additionally what are the dimensions of the camera with the viewfinder removed?

If/when Fuji get around to implementing multi-shot on this camera, I will seriously consider it for my CAPcam, but need to know what mounting challenges I may face.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

PeterA

Hi all -

Would someone with a GFX100 be so kind as to measure the distance that the grip extends out from the lens mount (not the front surface of the camera - the actual lens mount). Additionally what are the dimensions of the camera with the viewfinder removed?

If/when Fuji get around to implementing multi-shot on this camera, I will seriously consider it for my CAPcam, but need to know what mounting challenges I may face.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Gerald the Grip ( at its high point - around top of grip) extends about 20mm from the actual front body and about 15mm from the actual lens mount which is about 5mm proud of the body.
Around the middle of the grip ( center ) teh grip extends about 15mm and is 10mm from actual lens mount.
The bottom grip extends about 3-4mm less than main grip at its center.

Pete

gerald.d

Gerald the Grip ( at its high point - around top of grip) extends about 20mm from the actual front body and about 15mm from the actual lens mount which is about 5mm proud of the body.
Around the middle of the grip ( center ) teh grip extends about 15mm and is 10mm from actual lens mount.
The bottom grip extends about 3-4mm less than main grip at its center.

Pete
Hi Pete -

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Fingers crossed for the multishot capability to come sooner rather than later!

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Pelorus

At the Fujifilm place at Tokyo Midtown yesterday I had a chat with one of the guys about the GFX 100. In Aussie stock is tough to come by. He said it's a global issue and very tough in Japan to get stock. Not sure when it would get better!

PeterA

At the Fujifilm place at Tokyo Midtown yesterday I had a chat with one of the guys about the GFX 100. In Aussie stock is tough to come by. He said it's a global issue and very tough in Japan to get stock. Not sure when it would get better!
Give John at Camera Exchange a call.

Don Libby

Thought I'd share this here seeing as how ya all want images.

The elk was across a 2-lane road and off slightly. I'd say less than 100 yards away. GFX 100, 250 with 1.4 TC. The top image is the full frame bottom is 100% crop. No processing other than to dumb it down to Jpeg.

Untitled-1.jpg

Don Libby

There really isn't much more to say after using the GFX100 for 2-weeks. I guess I could say I'm glad I got it.

I've been in the Jackson Hole area for 27-days and have been using the 100 almost the entire time. Cold, freezing, wet everything you'd expect here. No issues.

I've shot over 80% handheld because I can. With no issues. I find I'm using the vertical grip a lot more than I thought I would; again with no issues.

I shot with lightweight and heavy gloves and after getting used to the shutter buttons and other controls have had no isses.

The majority of the work so far has been wildlife capturing buffalo, elk and moose. We were very luck to also capture an owl and eagle. The AF is fast and accurate. I'm still blown away with the burst speed of the 100. was tracking a running buffalo the other day and caught several frames within a matter of seconds - all were sharp and in focus.

I've used all my lenses now with the exception of the 120 macro and all have work very well. The 250 and 1.4TC stay on the camera until I need anoth lens for landscape. This camera/lens combo is I beleive the heaviest at around 6 pounds however I've had zero trouble handholding.

The files are stunning on my portable studio setup and I can't wait until I see them at home.

Power with the 2-batteries is very good as well. I'm getting around 800 frames before I need to replace the batteries. It helps to have 2 spares as well as a double charger (many thanks to my brother Ken Doo).

The GFX50s has been left in the room the entire time I've had the 100 and I have made up my mind to sell it once we return to Arizona next month.

I can't see any further updates here unless it's to answer a question. I will close this by saying this isn't my first 100-megapixel system however it is the lightest weight and most well thought out one. It puts the joy back into carrying a system that is capable of doing so much.

Don :salute:

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well you know what this is telling you - you need two GFX100s, one with the 250/1.4TC and the other for 32-64 or 100-200 or 23mm :thumbs:

I’m sure that Dante would approve. Heck, that’s how I lived with my Leicas and Nikons!