The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X-Pro3 Write-up from Jonas Rask

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Have seen this, Jonas is a great guy and really knows what he is talking about!

I will have a hands on with the X-Pro3 tomorrow afternoon and will report then about my feelings.

Stay tuned ....

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Have a look here. He claims he has been involved into the design process somewhat.
He works very closely with Fuji and is a professional fanboy. That doesn't retract much from his views though. He's a great photographer who knows how to get the best out of his gear.

I browsed through it, and will read ity again tonight. With all the in-camera processing options of this camera, I'm tempted to say that this is finally a digital camera that I could live with withouth having access to a computer other than for storage and some "heavier" editing work. I have just extended my "new camera ban" another 6-12 months, but if I hadn't, I would have sent in my order right away. This is my kind of camera.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
He works very closely with Fuji and is a professional fanboy. That doesn't retract much from his views though. He's a great photographer who know hoiw to getthe best out of his gear.

I browsed through it, and will read ity again tonight. With all the in-camera processing options of this camera, I'm tempted to say that this is finally a digital camera that I could live with withouth having access to a computer other than for storage and some "heavier" editing work. I have just extended my "new camera ban" another 6-12 months, but if I hadn't, I would have sent in my order right away. This is my kind of camera.
Jorgen I hear you - have some camera ban like you as well .....

But I am very interested in this camera. Add some of the small primes (F2) and you are good to go. Just a camera for easy everyday shooting - and forget about the rest.

Anyway here is a link where you can find much more great reviews ...

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm...rst-look-reviews-samples-pre-orders-and-more/

I will anyway try it out at a Fuji event in Vienna - then I will rethink my camera ban ....

PeterA

Well I agree with the idea of an X series and 3 lightweight F2 lenses - it is my current small format set-up :thumbup: Great lightweight solution for me. I'll probably swap the XT3 into an XPro3 - only because of the left side viewfinder - the only thing I miss from Leica M10 which I exited.

I read everything Jonas writes because he actually uses the gear to make good photograps I enjoy seeing - that is where he gets credibility from me.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, today I was at the Fuji event in one of the big photography stores in Vienna, mainly to see and try the X-Pro3.

Unfortunately I could not really try it as the EVF/OVF was just far too bright - obviously a HW failure of this pre-production model.

That I can say though

1) the camera feels nice and small just as the X-Pro2, maybe a bit better grip
2) there will be a hand grip offered that allows opening of the screen for 180 degrees - I would add that definitely!
3) the magnification of the EVF/OVF seems large enough - definitely a big step up for me from the X-Pro2
4) the screen is ok for me, even while only tilting down 180 degrees - holding and shooting the camera with screen open (90 or 180 degrees) seems pretty ok to me, although with that new large viewfinder I think I would not use the screen very much
5) with one of the F2 primes the camera feels small and handy - very nice for fast reaction and shooting and of course also light
6) I still would add the 1.4/35 as it is so cheap and great and also the 1.2/56 - that would leave me with the 2/23 and the 2/50 - not sure yet, that could change

I will have to try a really working model before I finally decide, but so far everything looks fine for me. I tried the X-T3 at the same time and I imagine the EVFs of both cameras will be pretty similar, although the X-Pro3 should have a slightly better display.

I am very much intrigued about buying the X-Pro3 with 1 or 2 F2 primes just for fun - and it could very likely be that this cam would turn out to be my favourite all around camera (system) with even lenses like the 8-16 and the 100-400. That would mean then good bye Olympus and m43 for me - maybe a good decision when thinking about where m43 with its tiny sensor can evolve if at all ....

Another glowing review from Charlene Winfred who uses X-Pro cameras since 7 years and also still uses the ancient 1.4/35 on the X-Pro3

https://charlenewinfred.com/2019/10/23/meeting-the-titan-the-fujifilm-x-pro3/

PS1: man, this 8-16 is a wonderful lens and pretty small for what it is

PS2: tried and played also with the GFX100 - irreal and wonderful camera - best EVF I have seen so far etc, but unfortunately just to big and expensive for me and my needs. But if you are into MFD and the ultimate quality including IQ this is the system and camera to go IMHO - it would be my hands down choice if I needed to go MFD !!!!!

PS3: this X system is definitely still much smaller that even the most compact FF mirrorless system - no matter if Sony, Nikon and just forget about Canon (lens size)

Last edited:

SrMphoto

Very nice is that X-Pro3 now generates an HDR output in RAW format.
Even better is that it now has multiple exposures of up to 9 images and the output can be RAW. Love that feature in Nikon's Dxxx cameras, missing it in Nikon's Z cameras.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Another glowing review from Charlene Winfred who uses X-Pro cameras since 7 years and also still uses the ancient 1.4/35 on the X-Pro3

https://charlenewinfred.com/2019/10/23/meeting-the-titan-the-fujifilm-x-pro3/
Looking at her photos, that seems to be the only lens anybody will ever need. I almost feel a bit embarassed that I have so many :rolleyes:

Thank yoiu for the link.

Here's another fine photographer, Mindy Tan, getting the most out of the X-Pro3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7hiGniOQmY

https://www.mindytan.com/

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looking at her photos, that seems to be the only lens anybody will ever need. I almost feel a bit embarassed that I have so many :rolleyes:

Thank yoiu for the link.

Here's another fine photographer, Mindy Tan, getting the most out of the X-Pro3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7hiGniOQmY

https://www.mindytan.com/
I owned that 1.4/35 once - a stellar lens but was far too slow for what I wanted to shoot when mounted on my X-Pro1 back then (my little daughter moving and jumping erratically around). This is the reason I sold all.

But with the latest AF implementations on either the X-T3, X-T30 and obviously now on the X-Pro3 the AF should just be fast and accurate enough. And the IQ coming out of that lens is better than you can imagine. And one can get it pretty cheap nowadays.

Elderly

What a delicious looking little camera :thumbup: .....

.... I'll have one in DuraSilver please :cool:.

Except that I'd be so afraid of making a mark on it,
that I'd have to keep it at home on display under an acrylic case :loco::grin:.

iiiNelson

I am still undecided if I really want this camera so badly that I will get one though ....
ultimately the last 2 years has reaffirmed to me that no camera is going to have it all so write down you list of what you can and can’t compromise on then pick the least emotional option that checks the most boxes. I had to do this myself a couple of months ago.

For the few shortcomings from my Sony system there’s really not another option as complete right now for my needs. The Sony FE System is a non-emotional decision. It has the best lens selection, AF system, and possibly the brightest future. As much as I love what Panasonic and Fuji are doing, going Fuji X would require me to also invest in Fuji G which means shelling out a lot more money. Going Panasonic means that I’ll potentially have some workflow inefficiencies with the DFD based system right now. I can live with that for personal projects but not so much for paid work. Ultimately I may Re-evaluate down the line or maybe keep the Sony “for work” and buy into an extra system “for me.”

As for the X-Pro 3... I think it’s a really interesting camera. I still hate the exposure compensation (EC) isn’t a custom dial and that the ISO is stored underneath the shutter speed dial. Personally I’d want this reversed because I also never use EC intentionally on any camera. Other than that I don’t have any serious complaints about this offering.

PeterA

It all depends on what you want a camera for and therefore what you expect it to be able to do. I am extremely happy with the GFX100 - it does what it does better than any other option out there for me. I also have an XT-3 16/1.4, 23/2 and 56/1.2 lenses - and like I did with the GFXS I used to have - a testing platform for whether I want to commit to Fuji APS system. The XT-3 is a wonderful camera but it lacks the following I look for in a happy snapper:

1. EVF to the left of the camera body for comfortable shooting experience; and 2. IBIS

I was expecting the XPro3 to build upon and improve on current X offerings - by simply combining what already exists in H / X and XPro platforms already.

Instead - we get a dumbed down OVF, a low magnification EVF, no IBIS, a weird forced no chimp screen which makes it difficult to access menus and make changes as you go and less than properly set up buttons and dials for other uses....which is why I think the XPro has a bit too much heavy on the faux' rangefinder/street shooting vibe and too light on what I want and expect in a serious competitor to a Leica M or a Leica CL.

As things stand right now - I think it is likely I invest more in Leica CL for a happy snapper - which has a wonderful EVF, standard LCD, better shooting ergonomics, better GUI, equally good colour straight out of camera and a good but more expensive range of happy snapper lenses - no IBIS and no fancy pants video but I don't use video anyway - with the added advantage of being able to use any L mount lens from my SL system as well as many L mount offerings from Sigma and Panasonic - now merging - the 'smartest' tele-convertor ever made -:)

Pete

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
And this is the video from Jonas Rask and Palle Schulz they made about the X-Pro3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVw7nCZyF-Q

Makes me want to have it again ;););)
Thanks for posting this. It's a beautiful video and they are both great artists. I do however think that both the video and the photos could have been taken with any high quality camera these days, although Fuji makes things a bit easier with their excellent in-camera colour processing. But this is after all marketing.

However, and I keep coming back to this, the X-Pro3 is designed to be used exactly as I use my current cameras, while being a better quality option with some problems solved. It's not for anyone, which Fuji has stated, and for those who don't like it, there's a simple solution: Don't buy it.

I do wish however that those who don't like it would be more willing to appreciate the fact that Fuji is actually willing to make this kind of niche product. It's not the only one of course. The GFX 50 R and the X100 Series are also moulded around that philosophy too. With the Pen F and GX8 gone without replacements, there aren't many "rangefinder style" cameras under $2,000 left, particularly not if a viewfinder is wanted or needed.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks for posting this. It's a beautiful video and they are both great artists. I do however think that both the video and the photos could have been taken with any high quality camera these days, although Fuji makes things a bit easier with their excellent in-camera colour processing. But this is after all marketing.

However, and I keep coming back to this, the X-Pro3 is designed to be used exactly as I use my current cameras, while being a better quality option with some problems solved. It's not for anyone, which Fuji has stated, and for those who don't like it, there's a simple solution: Don't buy it.

I do wish however that those who don't like it would be more willing to appreciate the fact that Fuji is actually willing to make this kind of niche product. It's not the only one of course. The GFX 50 R and the X100 Series are also moulded around that philosophy too. With the Pen F and GX8 gone without replacements, there aren't many "rangefinder style" cameras under $2,000 left, particularly not if a viewfinder is wanted or needed.
I am thinking very similar! This wonderful X-Pro3 seems to be the only one left on today's market, although IMO IQ wise it is definitely much better than any m43 solution and also the AF is hugely improved, as it is the same as in the X-T3 and this AF is just out of this world.

And any Leica M rangefinder is just MF which is becoming slowly a problem for me at least with longer focal lengths (above 70mm) and I am not comparing it to the Leica CL which would be an option but only with a much more expensive and pretty restricted APSC lens lineup.

So what remains is the X-Pro3. For me it stays a very attractive solution, if not the most attractive for casual everyday shooting!