The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji 16-80mm F4

rayyan

While the XP3 has been garnering all the attention lately; I would like those that have
this lens, to please let us know your opinions of and results from this lens.

I do not have the luxury to buy and return!

Thank you.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Well, I obviously do not own it nor shot it, but if I would step back into Fuji X territory again that would become my standard, all in one, always on the camera zoom lens :cool:

rayyan

Thank Peter.

But very negative reviews by some.
While a few others consider it a hen’s balls.

I am waiting for a call from my Fuji dealer anytime since yesterday.

Take care.

OT: here’s a video about the Fuji 35/2 for landscape photography.

Nifty Fifty

iiiNelson

Thank Peter.

But very negative reviews by some.
While a few others consider it a hen’s balls.

I am waiting for a call from my Fuji dealer anytime since yesterday.

Take care.

OT: here’s a video about the Fuji 35/2 for landscape photography.

Nifty Fifty
I don’t own this lens but I’ve done some recent research into Fuji X lens options that are currently available. If I were invested in Fuji X then I would seriously buy this lens as an initial purchase.

I thought this review below was pretty favorable and the only (subjective) negative I can say about this lens is the bokeh looks a bit busy in SOME shots. It’s a small trade-off IMO for what’s an otherwise invaluable walk around lens to have in the kit. On some level there are things to be hyper critical about but in most cases for most people - those are talking points for justification of an alternative choice. I have no doubt the 8-16, 16-55, and 50-140 are much better and a much dearer cost in size/weight. For travel with a Fuji APS-C, I’d get one of these and a fast prime (23mm or 35mm f/1.4 variety) and call the travel kit “good” personally. If telephoto is your thing then consider the 55-200 (or 100-400 if you can deal with the weight) for an additional travel zoom.

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/04/fu...ois-wr-the-ultimate-all-around-lens-for-fuji/

rayyan

Thanks a lot for the response.

Unfortunately, I have not yet received the lens. And my wife leaves
On a trip tomorrow.

But there are numerous reports of shutter shock with this lens.
Seems to happen between 1/60 and 1/250.

I have the 16-55 but too heavy for her. And no VR.
No go.

Best wishes

I don’t own this lens but I’ve done some recent research into Fuji X lens options that are currently available. If I were invested in Fuji X then I would seriously buy this lens as an initial purchase.

I thought this review below was pretty favorable and the only (subjective) negative I can say about this lens is the bokeh looks a bit busy in SOME shots. It’s a small trade-off IMO for what’s an otherwise invaluable walk around lens to have in the kit. On some level there are things to be hyper critical about but in most cases for most people - those are talking points for justification of an alternative choice. I have no doubt the 8-16, 16-55, and 50-140 are much better and a much dearer cost in size/weight. For travel with a Fuji APS-C, I’d get one of these and a fast prime (23mm or 35mm f/1.4 variety) and call the travel kit “good” personally. If telephoto is your thing then consider the 55-200 (or 100-400 if you can deal with the weight) for an additional travel zoom.

https://petapixel.com/2019/10/04/fu...ois-wr-the-ultimate-all-around-lens-for-fuji/

SrMphoto

Thanks a lot for the response.

Unfortunately, I have not yet received the lens. And my wife leaves
On a trip tomorrow.

But there are numerous reports of shutter shock with this lens.
Seems to happen between 1/60 and 1/250.

I have the 16-55 but too heavy for her. And no VR.
No go.

Best wishes
When traveling I'd rather carry 18-55 than 16-55: excellent quality, light and with VR.
X-T3 and X-H1 have EFCS, therefore there should be no shutter shock issues.

rayyan

Bought a 16-80mm yesterday. I was adamant that return shall be accepted if it does not perform for me.

By the serial numbers etc., as read on other fora, it was one of the earliest ones.
The lens firmware was 1.0!

So much for getting newer stuff.

Tried it last night, and most day today; with and without a tripod with latest firmware versions for lens and 3 camera bodies.
Softer than the 18-55. Across equivalent apertures and fl. Except for 50-70mm.

I returned it an hour ago, and have my cash with me.:)

Maybe after a period when all niggles have been worked out..and new a batch arrives. Such a good fl for travel!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Bought a 16-80mm yesterday. I was adamant that return shall be accepted if it does not perform for me.

By the serial numbers etc., as read on other fora, it was one of the earliest ones.
The lens firmware was 1.0!

So much for getting newer stuff.

Tried it last night, and most day today; with and without a tripod with latest firmware versions for lens and 3 camera bodies.
Softer than the 18-55. Across equivalent apertures and fl. Except for 50-70mm.

I returned it an hour ago, and have my cash with me.:)

Maybe after a period when all niggles have been worked out..and new a batch arrives. Such a good fl for travel!
Maybe you only had a bad copy as from all the reviews the 16-80 should be sharper than the 18-55. Much sharper .....

Don Libby

I picked up a 16-80 while in Jackson Hole. I didn't get a change to use it much there as I loaned my XT3 and that lens to the new bride of one of my friends. I have gotten a chance to use it (along with a 100-400) and find I like the lens. Perfect setup for when I don't feel the need to drag out the GFX100. I've upgraded the firmware and have had no issues. In short I like the lens!

rayyan

Peter, Don.. thanks for the input.

Maybe the one I got was not up to scratch. I shall wait till a newer batch arrives to try again.
It is an ideal fl for me to go with a single lens solution.

Don, glad your lens is to your liking. Happy travels.

Best.

biglouis

I must admit I did not 'get it' when this lens was announced but being reliant on the 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 for a lot of my day to day stuff, I do now see where this could be a real space saver, e.g. wide enough on the wide end and decently long enough on the long.

However, I do hear really mixed reviews about it so at present it is a 'nice to have' if I get the chance.

My chief concern would be sharpness. The 18-55 is good but actually not as sharp at 18mm as my Ricoh GRIII(!). So a lens that overlaps and is not as sharp as the 18-55 would concern me.

The 55-200 is absolutely stellar. An incredibly good value for money lens. The 10-24 makes more of an impression because of the crazy perspective you can get than the actually IQ of the photos. Which in a lot of cases makes the IQ of lesser importance, imho.

LouisB